U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:01 PM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,540,459 times

Advertisements

Just bought my house recently. County apparently doesn't know, because I got my assessment and it's valued a 1/3 what I paid for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 03:49 PM

1,275 posts, read 645,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Just bought my house recently. County apparently doesn't know, because I got my assessment and it's valued a 1/3 what I paid for it.
Fulton or DeKalb?

It does take time for new sales to get into their database. They will use the sales data when they do their next reassessment.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:56 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Fulton or DeKalb?

It does take time for new sales to get into their database. They will use the sales data when they do their next reassessment.
Fulton. I don't know. I lived in my last house for six years (also Fulton), and they never got the assessment anywhere close to the purchase price. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm also not opposed to paying what I actually owe. That's what we're all supposed to be doing.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:27 PM

12,950 posts, read 19,918,325 times
Our taxes went up 50%. There are two other similar homes in our neighborhood, but both of them have 3 car garages while our's is a 2, and they have both had resales since we bought 12 years ago, for $100,000 more than we paid. And, from the information we found online, their tax bills are less than our own. At this point, we couldn't ask what we paid back then, there has been too much new construction at a similar price point. We'll be appealing. Actually, everybody I know plans to appeal.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Our taxes went up 50%. There are two other similar homes in our neighborhood, but both of them have 3 car garages while our's is a 2, and they have both had resales since we bought 12 years ago, for $100,000 more than we paid. And, from the information we found online, their tax bills are less than our own. At this point, we couldn't ask what we paid back then, there has been too much new construction at a similar price point. We'll be appealing. Actually, everybody I know plans to appeal.
Is your new assesmemt about what you would put your house up for if you decided to sell? If so, assesment is right. You have to give compelling evidence it's worth less than they say.

I wish you luck in appealing, but I fear many people are appealing just because of the jump without realizing it's not the current Assessments that are wrong, but that they are just used to false under assessments.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:55 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Is your new assesmemt about what you would put your house up for if you decided to sell? If so, assesment is right. You have to give compelling evidence it's worth less than they say.
This is correct. If you're basing your appeal on the argument that your neighbor is getting a better deal than you, you'll lose the appeal.

I've never appealed in Fulton, but in Dekalb, my experience was that I appealed, got called in to a hearing, walked in with my folder of evidence, and they presented me an offer before I even opened my mouth. Their offer was only slightly higher than what I was going to argue for, so I accepted it.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM

151 posts, read 101,735 times
Quote:
This is correct. If you're basing your appeal on the argument that your neighbor is getting a better deal than you, you'll lose the appeal.
Well, not necessarily. If you appeal on VALUE and UNIFORMITY then you have the right to show that the county is not uniformly assessing property in your neighborhood. Then you bring all of the evidence showing that comparable houses are paying less in taxes which is a lack of uniformity. You can show value by bringing in recent comps of comparable houses.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:55 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
Well, not necessarily. If you appeal on VALUE and UNIFORMITY then you have the right to show that the county is not uniformly assessing property in your neighborhood. Then you bring all of the evidence showing that comparable houses are paying less in taxes which is a lack of uniformity. You can show value by bringing in recent comps of comparable houses.
I should have prefaced that by stating "if your current assessment is true to market value and their's isn't."

In that case, they'll most likely tell you to pay up, or maybe cut you a bit of a break, and then flag the other properties for increases next year. If the other properties are significantly under-assessed, they're not likely to lower yours to also be significantly under-assessed.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:49 PM

I hope Fulton County doesn't cave on all these people wanting to basically get out of paying their fair share. I have seen SO many people complaining about how "unfair" it is their taxes went up so much...look up their assessments and see that their home is STILL undervalued and they're complaining. Had a colleague at work tell me his taxes went from $2000 to $7000 and he's going to appeal. He was irate. I looked up his assesment and saw his house is now assessed at like 420k. He paid 490k for it 3 years ago. It's probably worth 600k+ now (Grant Park). People are so used to paying nearly nothing that now they're trying to get out of paying what they should have been paying all along. I hope Fulton County sticks to their guns on this.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:58 AM

181 posts, read 76,962 times
Quote:

I've never appealed in Fulton, but in Dekalb, my experience was that I appealed, got called in to a hearing, walked in with my folder of evidence, and they presented me an offer before I even opened my mouth. Their offer was only slightly higher than what I was going to argue for, so I accepted it.
That's what they did when I appealed mine 2 years ago. Better to score something than nothing at all.

But the best thing about doing an appeal is that your value is locked down for the next two years, so my taxes didn't go up any last year, and they won't go up this year. Next year, it'll be appeal city again...lol.

If homeowners are upset about their valuations, they need to go appeal instead of just complaining. And people need to push for candidates who support a Save Our Homes law so we'd not be subject to being priced out of our homes.

My biggest fear is something like Amazon coming in and pushing housing values up another 50%, making property taxes downright affordable. That's highly unfair, plain and simple. Politicians can and will get away with murder because people are so darned lazy. Time to get off our duffs and do something about it. All of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or