U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:07 AM

151 posts, read 100,188 times

Advertisements

I used to feel that way, mostly, until I realized that the vast majority of my taxes goes directly to fund APS. Funding for fire/police, repairing roads, etc. is small compared to the amount APS gets from your taxes. And APS is a bloated, corrupt school system that already gets thousands of dollars more per student than nationally or the the state of Georgia. And they are dong a HORRIBLE job! We had to go private/charter school for elementary because our zoned elementary is completely non-functioning.
We are paying the salaries of APS lobbyists that make sure our elected representatives stay in the back pocket of APS. I feel sorry for my neighbors who think, "Well, my taxes have tripled but at least now we'll get better paid firefighters and those potholes will be fixed." NOPE!
So, taxpayers, do EVERYTHING you can do to get your taxes decreased, no matter what the county currently values your house at. Appeal! Hire a lawyer! And when you appeal, make sure you show the board ALL of the houses in your neighborhood that are paying 1/4 of what you are. Until we get a much larger group of outraged citizens, nothing is going to change. This system is broken and it's homeowners that are paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 AM

502 posts, read 239,498 times
I'm a new homeowner and closed on a new build late last year. I got my assessment, the Fair Market Value is less than what I paid. The previous year Fair Market Value is really low because it was just land. I read on a few different sites that you should appeal your assessment no matter what as they might give you a small decrease and/or freeze the current FMV for a few years. What would you all recommend?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:13 AM

3,545 posts, read 2,306,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Actually, everybody I know plans to appeal.
Wow, so literally everyone in your neighborhood is a cheapskate who doesn't understand how tax assessments work?

I seriously doubt every single one of your assessments is wrong.

My fulton assessment and most of the others posted in this thread are actually under fair market value.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:19 AM

151 posts, read 100,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I'm a new homeowner and closed on a new build late last year. I got my assessment, the Fair Market Value is less than what I paid. The previous year Fair Market Value is really low because it was just land. I read on a few different sites that you should appeal your assessment no matter what as they might give you a small decrease and/or freeze the current FMV for a few years. What would you all recommend?
Yes, APPEAL! There is no downside at all. They cannot raise your assessment (unless you are in a 3 year freeze from a previous appeal) so even if you lose, at least you are locked in for 3 years. You MUST go to the Board of Equalization to get the freeze. Don't just accept whatever the assessor gives you....that will not result in a freeze. Also, if enough people appeal, the will be forced to reject the digest as they did last year.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:38 AM

9,554 posts, read 8,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Wow, so literally everyone in your neighborhood is a cheapskate who doesn't understand how tax assessments work?

I seriously doubt every single one of your assessments is wrong.

My fulton assessment and most of the others posted in this thread are actually under fair market value.
I have appealed my assessment numerous times. It really has nothing to do with actual fair market value. It really has to do with the uniformity of the assessments. While my home may be valued at below FMV, a comparable home in the neighborhood may be assessed twenty percent below mine. That is the basis of most appeals. It has nothing to do with being a cheapskate; rather, it has to do with making sure the government applies assessments equitably.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:21 PM
JPD

11,863 posts, read 14,471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I wouldn't bother. I'd wait to appeal until they are wrong on the high side.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:35 PM

1,269 posts, read 629,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
Yes, APPEAL! There is no downside at all. They cannot raise your assessment (unless you are in a 3 year freeze from a previous appeal) so even if you lose, at least you are locked in for 3 years. You MUST go to the Board of Equalization to get the freeze. Don't just accept whatever the assessor gives you....that will not result in a freeze. Also, if enough people appeal, the will be forced to reject the digest as they did last year.
Is that your goal? You really want them to reject the digest and continue to let Fulton County under assess everyone's homes forever? Do you think everyone's home values should just be frozen at half their value for all time?

The vast majority of Fulton residents have been underpaying for years.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:08 PM

4,992 posts, read 3,479,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Do you think everyone's home values should just be frozen at half their value for all time?

Well, it is a great way to single out the idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or