U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:52 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
It was only yesterday that my wife and I were traveling up LaVista and cursed the cruel world that took away the LaVista/Cheshire Bridge Varsity that provided us with our pre- Tara movie hotdog and onion rings.
Cruel, cruel world.

Many decades ago, maybe late 1960's, I used to walk up North Avenue from my dormitory to get what then was my favorite Varsity meal: the chicken salad sandwich and a Coke. One night I dozed off in one of the desk-chairs in front of the TV, and the next thing I know I wake up, and it's about 3:00AM, and there's no one around. The doors were dead-bolt locked so I could not get out. I sat back down. I figure if I can sleep to 3:00 in that chair, I can sleep until they open. Their chairs were as easy to sleep in as any lecture hall chair. But soon I hear some laughter and one of the cleaning crew comes up from somewhere in the back and says "did you have a nice nap?" While unlocking the door, she said this happens to a student now and then, and I looked like I needed a rest so they left me alone.
I still think of them fondly; I needed that nap.

Varsity story 2: I was at the counter about to order my chicken salad sandwich and a roach began running around on the sandwiches. I elbowed the guy next to me and said look at that. He shrugged and said "Don't worry, there's no extra charge for that".

Varsity story 3: I was walking up the sidewalk along North and a car exiting the Varsity come flying out doing the driver looking left while turning right. He smacked me and sent me flying into the North Avenue. He stopped, traffic stopped. He stuck his head out and said "Dude, are you alright?" I had gotten back to hands and knees, was trying to stand up, and said I think so, and the guy took off like a flash, and the stopped cars just drove around me. I feel bad for holding up Atlanta traffic by lying in the street for what was maybe 10 seconds. At least no one blew their horn at me.

Varsity story 4: Sorry, but no. This is a family oriented forum.
Your anecdotes are delightful, Thulsa, and make me wax sentimental for the days when the Varsity Jr. was always the follow-up to a screening at the Tara. I still remember that the last time we did this was for the musical Chicago.
Susan Gordy owned the Varsity for years (each Varsity store was owned by a different family member). She took it over after her husband was shot and killed in an altercation with the APD.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1980/12...2647345790800/

Leaving a successful career in Public Relations, she took to it like a duck to water; she was right there on the line with her employees, yelling "Whaddaya have whaddaya have" and brandishing her five-carat diamond ring underneath her transparent work gloves.
You never saw employee turnover at the Varsity Jr; much of that had to do with the fact that they paid a much better wage relative to other fast food outlets and the fact that Susan was such a good boss.
Susan sold the store back to the family some years before it closed and retired to St. Simons Island (she was my neighbor there).
Like you, I was partial to their chicken salad sandwiches...although once in a while I would succumb to tradition and order a chili dog, onion rings and a PC (plain chocolate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 PM

560 posts, read 306,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Your anecdotes are delightful, Thulsa, and make me wax sentimental for the days when the Varsity Jr. was always the follow-up to a screening at the Tara. I still remember that the last time we did this was for the musical Chicago.
Susan Gordy owned the Varsity for years (each Varsity store was owned by a different family member). She took it over after her husband was shot and killed in an altercation with the APD.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1980/12...2647345790800/

Leaving a successful career in Public Relations, she took to it like a duck to water; she was right there on the line with her employees, yelling "Whaddaya have whaddaya have" and brandishing her five-carat diamond ring underneath her transparent work gloves.
You never saw employee turnover at the Varsity Jr; much of that had to do with the fact that they paid a much better wage relative to other fast food outlets and the fact that Susan was such a good boss.
Susan sold the store back to the family some years before it closed and retired to St. Simons Island (she was my neighbor there).
Like you, I was partial to their chicken salad sandwiches...although once in a while I would succumb to tradition and order a chili dog, onion rings and a PC (plain chocolate).

Among the things I liked about the Varsity Junior was seeing the same people behind the counter over the years. However, that makes it worse when a place does close. You can't help worrying about what happened to them.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:36 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Among the things I liked about the Varsity Junior was seeing the same people behind the counter over the years. However, that makes it worse when a place does close. You can't help worrying about what happened to them.
Any of the employees that wanted a job at another Varsity was given one.
The Gordy family always takes care of its own.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:45 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Varsity story 3: I was walking up the sidewalk along North and a car exiting the Varsity come flying out doing the driver looking left while turning right. He smacked me and sent me flying into the North Avenue. He stopped, traffic stopped. He stuck his head out and said "Dude, are you alright?" I had gotten back to hands and knees, was trying to stand up, and said I think so, and the guy took off like a flash, and the stopped cars just drove around me. I feel bad for holding up Atlanta traffic by lying in the street for what was maybe 10 seconds. At least no one blew their horn at me.
That was pretty presumptuous on your part, getting hit by a car and then just laying there for 10 seconds. Did it not occur to you in your dazed state that people might have places to go? At least you didn't use up valuable police and ambulance resources.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:13 PM

560 posts, read 306,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That was pretty presumptuous on your part, getting hit by a car and then just laying there for 10 seconds. Did it not occur to you in your dazed state that people might have places to go? At least you didn't use up valuable police and ambulance resources.

In my defense, I did provide some entertainment. Many people got to see a hippie fly that night.

Last edited by Thulsa; 05-27-2018 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: made an oops

Old 07-10-2018, 02:13 AM

650 posts, read 770,221 times
Quote:
It was only yesterday that my wife and I were traveling up LaVista and cursed the cruel world that took away the LaVista/Cheshire Bridge Varsity that provided us with our pre- Tara movie hotdog and onion rings.
Cruel, cruel world.

Many decades ago, maybe late 1960's, I used to walk up North Avenue from my dormitory to get what then was my favorite Varsity meal: the chicken salad sandwich and a Coke. One night I dozed off in one of the desk-chairs in front of the TV, and the next thing I know I wake up, and it's about 3:00AM, and there's no one around. The doors were dead-bolt locked so I could not get out. I sat back down. I figure if I can sleep to 3:00 in that chair, I can sleep until they open. Their chairs were as easy to sleep in as any lecture hall chair. But soon I hear some laughter and one of the cleaning crew comes up from somewhere in the back and says "did you have a nice nap?" While unlocking the door, she said this happens to a student now and then, and I looked like I needed a rest so they left me alone.
I still think of them fondly; I needed that nap.

Varsity story 2: I was at the counter about to order my chicken salad sandwich and a roach began running around on the sandwiches. I elbowed the guy next to me and said look at that. He shrugged and said "Don't worry, there's no extra charge for that".

Varsity story 4: Sorry, but no. This is a family oriented forum.
Yes, hated to see the varsity Jr. bearded up, and now a huge building standing there... a lot of great memories there and all around that intersection...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or