U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 06:14 PM

3,967 posts, read 4,566,869 times

Advertisements

i wonder if we will break the 1970 record in 2020?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 06:40 PM

1,269 posts, read 634,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i wonder if we will break the 1970 record in 2020?
495k? If estimates are accurate I think we will

Old 05-26-2018, 10:15 AM

6,915 posts, read 9,607,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's number 10 in tems of numerical change. It's first in terms of percentage change for all cities over 100k.
I meant the release from the Census.... I just see the top 15 in each of those three categories listed in the release from the OP. Was wanting to see pop statistics for other cities.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:41 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,427,982 times
I would be very cautious about the ACS estimates after the overestimate by nearly 100K residents from the 2009 estimate (515,000) to the 2010 actual count (420,000). I've been told several times by Atlanta City officials that the actual population is likely around 450,000 at the most at the moment.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:22 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,173,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I would be very cautious about the ACS estimates .

Not ACS -- the U.S. Census Bureau. The American Community Survey is a random survey of religious affiliations, languages spoken in the home, etc. It's pretty much just a sampling of social trends. It's the U.S. Census Bureau that counts (or estimates) population. Big difference.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Not ACS -- the U.S. Census Bureau. The American Community Survey is a random survey of religious affiliations, languages spoken in the home, etc. It's pretty much just a sampling of social trends. It's the U.S. Census Bureau that counts (or estimates) population. Big difference.
I know what the US Census Bureau and American Community Survey are, thank you. The ACS is apart of the US Census Bureau program that is called the American Fact Finder, where the annual intercensal estimate data is handled. The American Fact Finder (AFF) gives you a complete snapshot of recent decennial counts, demographic, and socioeconomic data, and annual estimate data. The terms can be used interchangeably, but the proper acronym is AFF (American Fact Finder)

Old 05-28-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I know what the US Census Bureau and American Community Survey are, thank you. The ACS is apart of the US Census Bureau program that is called the American Fact Finder, where the annual intercensal estimate data is handled. The American Fact Finder (AFF) gives you a complete snapshot of recent decennial counts, demographic, and socioeconomic data, and annual estimate data. The terms can be used interchangeably, but the proper acronym is AFF (American Fact Finder)

It's obvious that you don't know. American Factfinder is a website that shows all sorts of population and other stats in handy tabular form. It is not synonymous with ACS, which is a survey by U.S. Census of social trends. The ACS derives social data from questionnaires, not from official counts or the yearly analysis of commuter trends to compile population estimates. U.S. Census, not the ACS, counts and provides population estimates of cities, metro areas, counties and states, which specifically state "According to U.S. Census." Languages spoken in the home, ancestry, etc., are "According to the ACS."

Last edited by masonbauknight; 05-28-2018 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
It's obvious that you don't know. American Factfinder is a website that shows all sorts of population and other stats in handy tabular form. It is not synonymous with ACS, which is a survey by U.S. Census of social trends. The ACS derives social data from questionnaires, not from official counts or the yearly analysis of commuter trends to compile population estimates. U.S. Census, not the ACS, counts and provides population estimates of cities, metro areas, counties and states, which specifically state "According to U.S. Census." Languages spoken in the home, ancestry, etc., are "According to the ACS."
No, I just described what both are in layman's terms and you are copy and pasting information from the website. I clearly know the US Census is the federal agency that administers the American Fact Finder datasets and the American Community Survey. ACS is a demographic breakdown and the AFF is a database. Hint both are compile from intercensal estimate (aka the annual estimates). You obviously don't know what you are talking about I just described both in laymans term, but it's funny you want debate semantics when actuality you are the one that sounds silly and absurd.

I'm going just ignore you from now on this is downright ignorant and shows you are foolish one...

Old 05-28-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
No, I just described what both are in layman's terms and you are copy and pasting information from the website. I clearly know the US Census is the federal agency that administers the American Fact Finder datasets and the American Community Survey. ACS is a demographic breakdown and the AFF is a database. Hint both are compile from intercensal estimate (aka the annual estimates). You obviously don't know what you are talking about I just described both in laymans term, but it's funny you want debate semantics when actuality you are the one that sounds silly and absurd.

I'm going just ignore you from now on this is downright ignorant and shows you are foolish one...
It's not "semantics", it's accuracy. The ACS is specifically a survey of social groups and trends such as language and ancestry, not city population totals. Populations are U.S. Census estimates (based on an actual count, not a survey). No one at City-Data ever says "the latest ACS population estimates" -- there's no such animal. It's "the latest U.S. Census estimates for Atlanta."

Old 05-29-2018, 06:21 PM
bu2

8,981 posts, read 5,689,108 times
Quote:
It's not "semantics", it's accuracy. The ACS is specifically a survey of social groups and trends such as language and ancestry, not city population totals. Populations are U.S. Census estimates (based on an actual count, not a survey). No one at City-Data ever says "the latest ACS population estimates" -- there's no such animal. It's "the latest U.S. Census estimates for Atlanta."
And the latest census estimates were badly off between 2000 and 2010. Atlanta talked them into ignoring some data.

Presumably they have learned their lesson, but you won't know for sure until the 2020 census comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or