U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 10:32 AM
bu2

8,980 posts, read 5,682,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Driving East on N Druid Hills to Scott Blvd. in Decatur is like driving into the past...to 30 years ago.

Run-down, discolored shopping centers and fast food restaurants in buildings and branding elements even older than the previous design from today. Chick Fil A and Arby's both headquartered here, comes to mind.

I like Dekalb's trees and natural beauty, but I swear it is the worst managed county I've ever seen.

The pavement quality and road signs appear to not have been updated since the 80's.

The latter applies equally to Fulton County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 10:49 AM

20,974 posts, read 32,955,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
That’s what she said!

No, but really..there’s a store named “Giant Package”?

The official name is Toco Giant.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Gentrification means that it wasn't "gentrified" before. Toco Hills is and was "gentrified." If it goes from upper middle class to a little higher upper middle class, the term doesn't apply.

As said by MattCW, the center is being "revitalized." Perhaps made more "upscale."

And it was never "run down." It had the Department of Labor, but it also had the groceries, a really nice Pike's, nice restaurants and a host of retail that targeted the upper middle class.
Parts of it were rundown. The newer part, where Kroger and Pike's reside, has always been well-maintained by the Shepherds; they have always owned that part of Toco. It's the other end of the shopping center that was experiencing decline. Outside of Publix, that part had begun to look decidedly shabby and dated. I will say that the Ace Hardware has always remained steadfastly first-rate. But at one point, I would say that a good 25-30% of the spaces were empty, particularly on the upper levels.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:04 PM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The place had an empty theater, a vacuum repair shop, a thrift store and the GA Dept. of Labor as an anchor tenant. It had seen better days.
What thrift store?

Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The neighborhood wasn't. It was doing just fine.

And the center still had a nice Publix AND Kroger.
AND a Pike Nursery, an indie book shop, an ACE, several banks, and a bunch of other quality establishments.

Some folks here are acting as if this place was on par with North Dekalb Mall, and that just isn't correct.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:16 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Between the ridiculous prices they charge relative to Green's and Tower and the surly service they offer, I certainly hope so.
And I don't see what is so 'bland' about the businesses I noted before; apparently neither did Ponce City Market, Westside Provisions, Midtown Manhattan, Downtown, Midtown, Brookhaven, and Madison Yards, since the aforementioned stores have locations there as well.
That's ridiculous. I've never noticed a difference in price that was large enough to care about, but $1 or $2 per large bottle of booze isn't enough to get someone to drive from Toco Hill to Ponce. You'd save ten times that in time and aggravation by just paying the extra few dollars. But you'd rather they go out of business? That's just mean spirited..so to speak.

Your second statement answers itself. The fact that all those places exist in lots of locations is exactly what makes them bland.

Last edited by JPD; 05-29-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 01:56 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,989,657 times
Quote:
Driving East on N Druid Hills to Scott Blvd. in Decatur is like driving into the past...to 30 years ago.

Run-down, discolored shopping centers and fast food restaurants in buildings and branding elements even older than the previous design from today. Chick Fil A and Arby's both headquartered here, comes to mind.

I like Dekalb's trees and natural beauty, but I swear it is the worst managed county I've ever seen.

The pavement quality and road signs appear to not have been updated since the 80's.
This is the scene I was thinking about:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8104...7i13312!8i6656

But Dekalb is just strange. Even the access road beside I-85 between Cheshire Bridge And North Druid Hills (perhaps Chantilly Drive?) just looks completely ignored from receiving any kind of maintenance for decades.

Weeds growing along I-85 retaining wall, etc...

The growth seems to be clustered around downtown Decatur which is wonderful, but that's the only part that I really like, and even that area is in dire need of some big trees being planted asap.

The development seems to have cut down every tree in sight.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What thrift store?
Next door to the old Shoe Center space. It's gone now.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
This is the scene I was thinking about:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8104...7i13312!8i6656

But Dekalb is just strange. Even the access road beside I-85 between Cheshire Bridge And North Druid Hills (perhaps Chantilly Drive?) just looks completely ignored from receiving any kind of maintenance for decades.

Weeds growing along I-85 retaining wall, etc...

The growth seems to be clustered around downtown Decatur which is wonderful, but that's the only part that I really like, and even that area is in dire need of some big trees being planted asap.

The development seems to have cut down every tree in sight.
That area is really homely, to be sure. Sooner or later, it will feel the reverb from the redevelopment to its south: Suburban Plaza, Church St, Scottdale, etc.
It should be noted (vis a vis your comments) that Edens is adding more trees to the parking area as part of the overall plan.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:43 PM

152 posts, read 238,004 times
Despite the renovations to Toco Hills I can say that the parking lot is still quite crazy. People still zoom through the parking area near the package store and the mexican restaurant without stopping. And there is a 4 way stop right at the intersection where Radio Shack was and the vacumn cleaner repair place which many zoom right through. And near collisions happen all the time with people driving up the wrong way in the lanes near Publix - so watch out. Relative to Maggies - I'm very well aware of the Emory connection but seems like they would have been busted many times now for selling to underage students. I mean it's pretty much well known at Emory that anybody can get alcohol at Maggies even if you are Freshman. Yes fake ids look more realistic but aren't they (Maggie's management I mean) supposed to at least pretend that they take underage drinking seriously ? It's been the underage drinker destination for decades so something is going on. Okay looks like posting URLS is no longer possible. Sorry - didn't know that.

Last edited by Somoso; 05-29-2018 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: signatures and linking to blogs not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or