Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The meaning is still elusive vis a vis this thread.
Well Toco Hills never became de-gentrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 08:42 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Oakhurst was burglar bars (I remember, one had barbed wire in their front yard), vagrants, and the only thing that I remember being open in the shopping district was a liquor store. By the time I began looking at the neighborhood, 3/4th of the neighborhood went from poor-to-lower-middle-class black neighborhood to predominantly white and wealthy. How is that change the same as Toco Hills? Ever?
So burglar bars are a prerequisite for gentrification?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's not that I'm dismissing it. I don't see anything over there worth giving the attention required to even make a dismissal possible. I worked in various places over there for years. I lived in the neighborhood. Multiple members of my family had rehearsal dinners or other special event dinners at the restaurants there. I was in bands that used to play in the record store over there. I went to movies there. I learned what it means to go out drinking as a youngster at Famous and Maggie's. I used to take my grandma to Bagel Palace on Christmas day every year. I went on countless dates at various places there (are people really gonna go on a date to Chopt?) I have very deep connections to Toco Hill, and that's because the stores there had enough character and uniqueness to become meaningful parts of people's lives. That kind of stuff is very unlikely to ever happen again now that it's all bland chains. And while I wouldn't describe that as gentrification, I do think it's quite sad. Giant Package is pretty good, I guess. Are they next in line to be run off?
Between the ridiculous prices they charge relative to Green's and Tower and the surly service they offer, I certainly hope so.
And I don't see what is so 'bland' about the businesses I noted before; apparently neither did Ponce City Market, Westside Provisions, Midtown Manhattan, Downtown, Midtown, Brookhaven, and Madison Yards, since the aforementioned stores have locations there as well.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well Toco Hills never became de-gentrified.
The place had an empty theater, a vacuum repair shop, a thrift store and the GA Dept. of Labor as an anchor tenant. It had seen better days.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:34 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The place had an empty theater, a vacuum repair shop, a thrift store and the GA Dept. of Labor as an anchor tenant. It had seen better days.
No doubt about it. The shopping center was definitely in decline.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:37 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No doubt about it. The shopping center was definitely in decline.
The neighborhood wasn't. It was doing just fine.

And the center still had a nice Publix AND Kroger.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:48 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:

Agree. However, the rest of the shopping center needed a fluff. The parking lot was a complete patchwork.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:

But we're talking about Toco, not the neighborhood.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:

As the neighborhood aged, the shopping center lost its luster. Now that the neighborhood is attracting more young families, the shopping center is able to polish itself up and support some newer businesses. No it was never a boarded-up total dump or anything, but I think it's fair to say a degree of gentrification is taking place.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
As the neighborhood aged, the shopping center lost its luster. Now that the neighborhood is attracting more young families, the shopping center is able to polish itself up and support some newer businesses. No it was never a boarded-up total dump or anything, but I think it's fair to say a degree of gentrification is taking place.
Mmm-hmm just sayin'.

Edens is clearly considering the proximity of Emory University in its new retail mix as well. I see students all over the place at Toco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta