Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 26,995 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are thinking about moving from Clearwater, FL to Alpharetta, GA and any other bordering cities. I am an insurance agency owner and want to move my agency up there as other agency owners of this insurance company are doing exceptionally well up in the Atlanta area.

My fiance is white and I am Vietnamese so I am worried about how we may be perceived if we move up there. We have no children; we are looking for a nice/beautiful place to live that is quiet and welcoming. What drew me to Alpharetta besides the business aspect are the houses are much more beautiful and there is more land with every property. Also we are looking for a place that is very dog friendly as we have 3 German Shepherds.

So for all of you who live or know about Alpharetta, can you provide some input? Is it a safe and nice place to live? What are the people like up there? Being I am asian and am in an interacial relationship, will I/we have a hard time being accepted? Is there a lot of racial issues up there? How is the weather like? Would you recommend living up there? Anybody have any experience with my location and Alpharetta? Would you move?

We are looking at property that maxes out at about $700,000.

Last edited by AndrewT1224; 11-26-2014 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 09:47 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Yes, it's one of the best suburbs in Atlanta, really all of N Fulton is nice. Atlanta has a significant asian population (Korean may be most notable). It's generally concentrated northeast of Atlanta towards Duluth, Suwannee and Johns Creek. It's not like the rest of Georgia which is mainly white and black. You'll have no problem getting a decent home in a great school district (even if you don't have kids, best areas in the burbs have the best schools anyway) with that budget.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:14 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
The Asian population is centered around Johns Creek/Suwanee/Duluth in the northern suburbs, but that doesn't mean anybody will care about you being Vietnamese in Alpharetta (they won't).

It just means you'll have to drive 10-15 minutes to eat at one of the bazillion pho restaurants in this area.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The Asian population is centered around Johns Creek/Suwanee/Duluth in the northern suburbs, but that doesn't mean anybody will care about you being Vietnamese in Alpharetta (they won't).

It just means you'll have to drive 10-15 minutes to eat at one of the bazillion pho restaurants in this area.
Truth. As a Vietnamese-American and a third generation Georgian, north Fulton is a fantastic place for Asian-Americans. Gwinnett, Lawrenceville and Chamblee are also pretty good.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:07 PM

125 posts, read 227,857 times
I am in Alpharetta . moved here locally and very happy. It is safe .

Old 11-29-2014, 05:49 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,600 times
Alpharetta might be the right area for you. I would suggest before you up and buy something to first see if Georgia is where you want to live. Give yourself time to acclimate to the city and get a feel for the state.
I will tell you the truth. The south is still the south (racist, closed minded to what is different, and requires you to operator on their terms.) Research the laws: "Right To Work" "Stand Your Ground" and the New GA Gun Laws

If you are determined to live in Georgia, Alpharetta area would be a great location.
Wherever you decide to live please take into account the nationalities present. In an ideal area you would want a good mix of many cultures. White, black, latino, asian, etc. You don't want a place that is so heavily black and white, especially in the south, as you and your fiance might encounter bad experiences.

When you move make sure the state works for you. If you like to mountain climb or job along the beach, determine if these activities are available. If you enjoy a cultural mix then research how many festivals occur within the state.

Moving always requires adjustment but where you live directly effects a portion of your joy if it doesn't fit so make sure it fits for you. Everyone else's expectations are not yours, including mine, LOL. You only have one life to live and your experiences are yours and require no one else's validation. Good luck with the move, try before you buy.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:20 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Alpharetta is a great suburban community with lots of amenities, great schools, low crime and a very high quality of life overall (maybe except if one has to commute down Georgia 400 to work closer to and in Atlanta every workday).

Alpharetta is a progressive suburban community with a population that is growing increasingly diverse so you and your fiancé should not have any problems or negative feedback in regards to your interracial relationship.

If you like Alpharetta and North Fulton County, I say go for it!

Old 11-29-2014, 04:38 PM

134 posts, read 185,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Alpharetta might be the right area for you. I would suggest before you up and buy something to first see if Georgia is where you want to live. Give yourself time to acclimate to the city and get a feel for the state.
I will tell you the truth. The south is still the south (racist, closed minded to what is different, and requires you to operator on their terms.) Research the laws: "Right To Work" "Stand Your Ground" and the New GA Gun Laws

If you are determined to live in Georgia, Alpharetta area would be a great location.
Wherever you decide to live please take into account the nationalities present. In an ideal area you would want a good mix of many cultures. White, black, latino, asian, etc. You don't want a place that is so heavily black and white, especially in the south, as you and your fiance might encounter bad experiences.

When you move make sure the state works for you. If you like to mountain climb or job along the beach, determine if these activities are available. If you enjoy a cultural mix then research how many festivals occur within the state.

Moving always requires adjustment but where you live directly effects a portion of your joy if it doesn't fit so make sure it fits for you. Everyone else's expectations are not yours, including mine, LOL. You only have one life to live and your experiences are yours and require no one else's validation. Good luck with the move, try before you buy.
It really surprises me how people say that Atlanta is backwards on race relations. I have half a dozen friends who moved here from other large cities (Boston, St. Louis, Dallas) and say that Atlanta is more harmonious and has as much, if not more opportunity for minorities than those cities, particularly for African Americans.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:41 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
How are people so loaded these days?? Every thread I read on here goes like this... I am moving to ATL and am looking for a home around 700-800k range... has everyone won the super lotto?

Old 11-30-2014, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 26,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
How are people so loaded these days?? Every thread I read on here goes like this... I am moving to ATL and am looking for a home around 700-800k range... has everyone won the super lotto?
Lol, to be honest with you the insurance business is actually quite a financially fulfilling career especially if you own your own agency. If you do everything right you should be coming close to doubling your last year income dur to renewals and new business. On average new agents working for the insurance company I franchised with make about 80k to 140k a year.

But my fiance and I have been saving for a few years now as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta