U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,908,227 times

Advertisements

What is the point you were making? I must have missed it amongst all the dishonesty and constant criticism of my home and my corner of the metro.

I know you were saying something about how all our roads are 9 lanes or something. Which is funny because almost all the roads in my area have 1 or 2 lanes in either direction. I only WISH Paces Mill rd had all these lanes you're claiming. Traffic gets so backed up because it's not wide enough to support all the people that live off of it.

Cobb Pkwy of course has a ton of lanes up around the Galleria area, but at this point that beast is hardly a street or even a regular road. But anyway, down closer to the river it's only a 3/3 (was up until last year only a 2/2), and then only a 2/2 for the last stretch, south of the Paces Mill intersection.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 07:28 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,899,784 times
I never said "all" or even implied "most" roads are 9 lanes in Cobb, nor do I think that. But 9-laned surface streets do exist in Cobb. Do you deny that Cobb has some of the largest roads in the metro (any roads elsewhere in the metro you would cite as larger than Cobb? I am genuinely curious, not just saying that as a challenge) and notably anti-transit over the last several decades?

Old 05-26-2018, 07:35 PM

I'm being honest when I say I haven't noticed that or felt that at all since I've moved here, again besides the exception of 41 circa 285, right at that extremely busy spot.

In fact if anything I've noticed the opposite: almost all the main roads I tend to travel on, such as Atlanta Rd, Powers Ferry Rd. They're all 1 lane or 2 lanes. Even through busy and built up areas.

Cobb's road infrastructure (excluding what GDOT has done to 75 and 285) has not been overly widened, especially for all the county's growth of the past decades.

Especially in contrast to Alpharetta and Gwinnett, which has a lot of lanes on a lot of their roads.

And yeah there was and has been transit opposition in Cobb, but there's now going to be a study and a 2019 ballot referendum for transit sales tax and mass transit in the county. We're finally doing it, which I'm thrilled about. And we're fully participating in the new metro-wide transit system. And there's a good chance MARTA may even be operating in the county in the near future. Not sure what else you want. We seem to be making some real progress as a county.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:12 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,899,784 times
I am just trying to answer the question posed in this thread. I agree it is good Cobb is embracing more transit and think the parts of Cobb that get high capcity transit will continue to grow and grow faster than other parts of the metro without transit (assuming zoning allows that growth).

Old 05-26-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I agree it is good Cobb is embracing more transit and think the parts of Cobb that get high capcity transit will continue to grow and grow faster than other parts of the metro without transit (assuming zoning allows that growth).
I agree with that.

Cumberland area will be where most of Cobb's significant population growth will occur in the future, due to much more dense and multi-family zoning, and also that's likely to be where the mass transit will be.

That said, the rest of Cobb will grow too, just slower. Every time there's a new 50-townhome development that replaces 2 or 3 old SFH or whatever. That happens all the time around the county, and those will add up.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:01 PM

991 posts, read 516,615 times
It would be interesting to examine pop. growth rate for specific sections of Cobb. The county is extremely diverse, the (unincorporated) Cumberland/Vinings area is definitely growing faster than most of the county, even the cities. Which is the way it should be for this suburban county. Concentrate growth closer-in, where the infrastructure can better support it.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:08 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,821,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
While you're at it, round to the nearest 5,000. That way Atlanta's density of 3,500 is about 5,000 per sq mile. And Cobb at 2,200 has 0 density.

I mean, if you're going to be deliberately wildly inaccurate and unfair just to support your constant, very irritating, oversimplified, stuck-record narrative, just go all out with it man. Go all out.

Biggest. Rep. EVAR!

The stupid site won't let me rep, so I'll do it here.

Quote:
What is the exact value of "about"? Those are the exact values from wikipedia I used. Round to the nearest thousand and CoA is 4K PPSM and Cobb is 2K PPSM, exactly double.

Does "50% denser" or "59.5591543% denser" really change the point? What are you going for here? Either way, it is not measurably false.
Well, I can tell you that 59.5591543 is not "about 100". It's not close. 50% denser is not double. 100% denser is double. Rounding to that level is ridiculous.

Quote:
I never said "all" or even implied "most" roads are 9 lanes in Cobb, nor do I think that. But 9-laned surface streets do exist in Cobb. Do you deny that Cobb has some of the largest roads in the metro (any roads elsewhere in the metro you would cite as larger than Cobb? I am genuinely curious, not just saying that as a challenge) and notably anti-transit over the last several decades?
Do 9-lane surface streets exist in Cobb anywhere other than the less-than-3/4 mile of Cobb Parkway at the interstate? Maybe at Cobb Drive and 285. And by the way...Cobb Parkway is a US Highway which stretches from South Florida to Michigan, not just a typical surface street. The same highway is 9-10 lanes for a bit down in Clayton County as well. Old Dixie Rd has 8 lanes at 285. If you want to get into details, Fulton's Freedom Parkway is 8 lanes for a short bit if you include turn lanes. Camp Creek Parkway has 8 lanes near 285. DeKalb's Peachtree Industrial has 8-9 lanes where it intersects with 285, Memorial Drive has 10 lanes over 285, and Lawrenceville Highway has 9 lanes at 285.

It is not uncommon at all for major roads/highways to have a lot of lanes at an intersection with a major interstate. You'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere else in the metro which has that many lanes. Even Cobb parkway becomes just four lanes plus center turn lane just half a mile north of 285, and a little more than a mile south. Cobb's main arterials are mostly 4-6 lanes, like everywhere else.

Last edited by samiwas1; 05-26-2018 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 10:14 PM

362 posts, read 159,551 times
Jsvh's opinion on cobb is so far into fantasy land that it's impossible to have a conversation with him. I'm pretty sure someone in the county government killed his dog or something.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

Biggest. Rep. EVAR!

The stupid site won't let me rep, so I'll do it here.
Well, I was able to rep you! Consider yourself rep'd sir.

Quote:
If you want to get into details, Fulton's Freedom Parkway is 8 lanes for a short bit if you include turn lanes.
Yeah, and a ton of the residents of Old Fourth Ward regularly drive on it. And park their cars (which they own and maintain), in large parking decks at their apartment complexes. Or at their houses. Same as the residents of Cumberland and Vinings and Smyrna do. And yeah they walk their dogs, but so do residents of Cobb. And they have the Beltline, but we have the nice river trail.

Despite hopes and dreams of many here, Atlanta proper is not this urbanist mecca compared to Cobb County. Not even close to that at this point in time. If it were, I'd actually be more inclined to live there. It's only a little bit urban and only in certain isolated pockets.

Atlanta is almost like a suburban city in its design. Which is totally fine, but it doesn't give me very much incentive to not live in a nearby and less expensive adjacent area. It's only a slight contrast, especially in the heart of Vinings which actually is walkable. Heck I was at Padriac's the other night (family-owned pub- NOT corporate and NOT a chain), and realized I could walk home to my condo from there if I wanted, so maybe next time I won't drive, and be able to get hammered.

I really like Midtown and I would like to live there, it's just a little too expensive for me for right now. With all the new density and the transit and all that, apparently comes skyrocketing rents and property and taxes. It's not all bright side. Nothing is all bright side. The traditional suburbs are still plenty relevant.

I mean if I'm gonna live in a gentrified, exclusive area, might as well be where I can always find a parking spot at the Publix. And close enough to the city where I can easily get to anything in a few minutes. At least that was my thinking on moving here.

I wish there was a park&ride MARTA station somewhere closer, like a west side equivalent of Lindbergh- but I'm sure something will happen with that at some point. Like at least a light rail or something to Cobb.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:45 PM

I also at one point was considering buying a condo at Atlantic Station if I could find the right one. Despite the piped-in music and general fakeness which I don't like about AS.

I was just being really honest with myself- I genuinely like having the suburban amenities. The parking decks and such. And the useful retail chains. And the general cleanliness and well-lit ness.

But I also would never want to live way out OTP, where it's hard to get to places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or