U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 11:04 AM

235 posts, read 82,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Were they referencing the city or the metro area? Either way, we take GSU and the AUC for granted, Morehouse and Spelman should be on the list of top universities in the nation but no one ever talks about them. GSU and other state schools (KSU, CSU, UWG...etc) fill in the gaps that the more expensive private colleges donít cater to. Agnes Scott is top tier and Oglethorpe is decent. Why donít we talk about these colleges?
The city, yeah. They don't share their metrics, but this page and a little matching indicates their cutoff was from their top 100 US schools: https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

Websites like these put GaTech at 33, and UGA and GSU between 351-400 (must be a value derived by out-of-state students?).

I'm not sure but as I age to entering mommy world, my sense is that most parents try grooming their kids for out-of-state ivies. That might be a small piece.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 11:20 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post

Websites like these put GaTech at 33, and UGA and GSU between 351-400 (must be a value derived by out-of-state students?).

I'm not sure but as I age to entering mommy world, my sense is that most parents try grooming their kids for out-of-state ivies. That might be a small piece.
Emory tends to blow that theory out of the water. The number of Georgia-raised undergraduate students enrolled there is less than 13%.

"The majority of the EU student body comes from outside Georgia, with students hailing from all 50 states and over 100 countries."

https://www.forbes.com/colleges/emory-university/

First-Year Class Geographic Distribution
Southeast 28.8%
Mid-Atlantic 22.8%
Midwest 8.9%
West 8.6%
New England 5.8%
Southwest 6.0%
International 19.2%

https://apply.emory.edu/discover/fastfacts.php

Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 AM

206 posts, read 101,033 times
Quote:
They only include GaTech and Emory, when Emory wasn't even a part of the city until 2017, and Agnes Scott is pretty darn great too (is it in unincorporated area?).
Are you serious?

Cities are markets. They are metros. They are areas. They are not - for these lists and in practical life (business) merely arbitrary political boundaries.

Does anyone actually talk of Home Depot as something other than Atlanta?

Only when speaking intra-metro discussions. Outside of that it's Atlanta based Home Depot.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:45 PM

235 posts, read 82,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Emory tends to blow that theory out of the water. The number of Georgia-raised undergraduate students enrolled there is less than 13%.
I'm sure there's many exceptions. I did say a small part. What might be your answer to demonta4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Are you serious?

Cities are markets. They are metros. They are areas. They are not - for these lists and in practical life (business) merely arbitrary political boundaries.

Does anyone actually talk of Home Depot as something other than Atlanta?

Only when speaking intra-metro discussions. Outside of that it's Atlanta based Home Depot.
I'm fine with considering Emory part of Atlanta before 2017. That's a nonissue really. The issue's (which I would expect from these lists anyways) metrics and they specify cities, not metros, not unincorporated, not anything else spatially. And I only asked because I wondered about other unis. But that was also just posturing. In the end, if a website that gives rankings doesn't provide its metrics, then, well, it's just talk.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:09 PM

206 posts, read 101,033 times
But the default of media, of business of most anything when discussing cities is usually metro because metros are cities. City in terms of political boundaries being used to describe anything other than political issues etc. does a disservice to reality.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:17 PM

3,947 posts, read 3,249,793 times
I really don’t think the boundaries matters all that much when it comes to a huge spread out metro . For instance Delta hq is actually in College Park, Chick fil lay in South Fulton, UPS in Sandy Springs, but everyone always say Atlanta. I think the universities follow the same logic, because how many outsiders know that in 2017 Emory was actually in Decatur or Oglethorpe in Chamblee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or