U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,263,757 times

Advertisements

Well, mid rises/ high rises really do seem to follow ALMOST the entire spine of Peachtree Street/ Road from Brookhaven southward through Midtown, past Peachtree Center and through Five Points all the way to Memorial Drive (the southern boundary of Downtown). There are SOME gaps, granted (perhaps around Peachtree Battle, just south of the Village area, etc.) but if you look at the linear view of the skyline from Freedom Parkway west bound, you will see (ALMOST) a solid Linear Peachtree-centric skyline from just south of Five Points, through Downtown, Midtown, and uptown through Buckhead, that is noticeably "thicker" in Downtown and parts of Midtown, and "thinner" (as in only a block or so thick") through the Brookwood Hills and Peachtree Battle districts. Also, I feel that Buckhead/Uptown are NOT an edge city since it is within the city limits of Atlanta. That would make The Knightsbridge District of London, or Downtown Brooklyn and Long Island City in New York City "edge cities".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 09:57 PM

12,947 posts, read 21,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Well Buckhead is part of the city of Atlanta. I thought edge city is defined as suburban and unincorporated, which Perimeter used to be until Sandy Springs officially became an incorporated city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Agreed. Buckhead is simply a section of the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Unincorporated isn't part of the definition. Not sure if Buckhead fits, but it probably does. Cumberland and Perimeter definitely do. Midtown definitely doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I don't think Buckhead fits regardless b/c Buckhead, midtown and downtown create a pretty continuous lateral cityscape at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Technically Buckhead isn't an edge city but it obviously has a couple of edge city characteristics.
I think Buckhead used to be considered an edge city: 1980s and maybe into the 1990s.

Now, Buckhead is not really an edge city. It has become an extension of Atlanta's urban core (Lenox, Lindbergh, Buckhead Village, Peachtree Road).

Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 PM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Some have referred to Midtown was an edge city but I've always felt that areas within the primary city limits are just sectors or districts, not "edge cities."

Old 06-03-2018, 11:51 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,263,757 times
Midtown IS connected to Downtown, really part of our larger Central Business District: Not an edge city! I kind of feel the same way about the uptown/Buckhead district. All equal Central Atlanta.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:15 AM

7,712 posts, read 9,565,954 times
Maybe for commerce, but I doubt higher property values for residential will follow.

It doesn't matter what you build, nobody is ever going to want to live directly under flight paths for the busiest airport in the world.

Of course, I would have said the same thing about Dobbins 50 years ago, so I guess we'll see.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:46 AM

27,831 posts, read 24,888,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Also, I feel that Buckhead/Uptown are NOT an edge city since it is within the city limits of Atlanta. That would make The Knightsbridge District of London, or Downtown Brooklyn and Long Island City in New York City "edge cities".
The characteristics of edge cities revolve mainly around form and function (which would certainly disqualify DT Brooklyn; I'm not as familiar with the other examples you cited); city limits are arbitrary. For example, anyone familiar with Charlotte knows that Ballantyne can rightfully be called an edge city although it's within the city limits of Charlotte.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:54 AM

1,140 posts, read 453,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Maybe for commerce, but I doubt higher property values for residential will follow.

It doesn't matter what you build, nobody is ever going to want to live directly under flight paths for the busiest airport in the world.
Maybe not directly under the airport, but for communities in easy commuting distance with already low crime and good schools, it definitely will.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,223,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't think its particularly continuous, but obviously, that is something people can disagree on.
I consider the Buckhead high rise district to center around Peachtree and Piedmont and to begin around W. Paces Ferry or Pharr Road. That's about 4 miles beyond midtown and there are several neighborhoods with sfh in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The characteristics of edge cities revolve mainly around form and function (which would certainly disqualify DT Brooklyn; I'm not as familiar with the other examples you cited); city limits are arbitrary. For example, anyone familiar with Charlotte knows that Ballantyne can rightfully be called an edge city although it's within the city limits of Charlotte.
Surprised they haven't extended LYNX Blue Line to that commercial area.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:51 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,501,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I count Perimeter, Cumberland, and Buckhead though you’re right Emory is more of an edge city, just without the skyline.
Why not Decatur? It is a city, and it's right on the edge of the Atlanta city limits.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 AM
bu2

9,014 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Well, mid rises/ high rises really do seem to follow ALMOST the entire spine of Peachtree Street/ Road from Brookhaven southward through Midtown, past Peachtree Center and through Five Points all the way to Memorial Drive (the southern boundary of Downtown). There are SOME gaps, granted (perhaps around Peachtree Battle, just south of the Village area, etc.) but if you look at the linear view of the skyline from Freedom Parkway west bound, you will see (ALMOST) a solid Linear Peachtree-centric skyline from just south of Five Points, through Downtown, Midtown, and uptown through Buckhead, that is noticeably "thicker" in Downtown and parts of Midtown, and "thinner" (as in only a block or so thick") through the Brookwood Hills and Peachtree Battle districts. Also, I feel that Buckhead/Uptown are NOT an edge city since it is within the city limits of Atlanta. That would make The Knightsbridge District of London, or Downtown Brooklyn and Long Island City in New York City "edge cities".
You get a very different perspective looking at it from Houston Mill at Clifton near the CDC. Downtown and midtown run together, but Buckhead looks far away. They also seem very distinct driving up Piedmont. You get a nice view of Buckhead a little north of Cheshire Bridge.

As for city limits, the classic examples of edge cities are several areas in Los Angeles and Houston's Galleria/Uptown area which are well within the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or