U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:19 AM

27,724 posts, read 24,737,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Surprised they haven't extended LYNX Blue Line to that commercial area.
I'm more surprised there aren't immediate plans to extend it to South Park first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
As for city limits, the classic examples of edge cities are several areas in Los Angeles and Houston's Galleria/Uptown area which are well within the city limits.
Right. Century City in Los Angeles is good example of an edge city.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:28 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
What Are the Requirements of an Edge City
Quote:
Some rules to follow for what can be considered an edge city were outlined by Garreau in 1991. The first rule was that the area should occupy a vast space of at least five million square feet or 465,000 square meters. Furthermore, the area of land should be in a leasable office space. Secondly, the leasable retail space should be at least 56,000 square meters or 600,000 square feet. Thirdly, the jobs should be more than the bedrooms, a strategy that ensures that they give work and business priority. Fourthly, its population must perceive that an edge city is a single place that is united. Lastly, there should be no indication that the place had been a town in the last 30 years.
There are three distinct groups of edge cities
Quote:
The most common type of edge cities are the "boomers." A boomer is an edge city that developed gradually around a highway or shopping mall. Northern Virginia and Tysons Corner are both boomers. The second type of edge cities are the "greenfields." They are those edge cities that rise as a result of an upcoming suburban town. Their development always and majorly lies on their suburban fringe. Reston Town is a classic example of a Greenfield. Uptowns are the edge cities that grow from old cities based on their history. Another name used to refer to uptowns is satellite cities. Rosslyn–Ballston Corridor is an example of an uptown.
https://www.worldatlas.com/what-is-an-edge-city.html

Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm more surprised there aren't immediate plans to extend it to South Park first.
And there are people who say Charlotte's LYNX is better than MARTA.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
So, four pages trying to figure out what and edge city is, but not a single word about what kind of impact this development might have on the area, and the city it resides in.

This could be an interesting thread. But it's not there yet.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:24 AM

4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
I consider Emory and Alpharetta to be already be Edge Cities, with the Airport emerging as the newest.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And there are people who say Charlotte's LYNX is better than MARTA.
Who are these people?????

Old 06-05-2018, 12:00 AM

4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Who are these people?????
I have no idea either, but they're certainly delusional!

I mean we are talking about one line, that was actually barred by the Mayor of Pineville from going to their lively Downtown. The Streetcar from Uptown to CPCC and Presbyterian Hospital is cool, but there is no way that any of this approaches MARTA's reach and scope.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 AM

62 posts, read 42,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So, four pages trying to figure out what and edge city is, but not a single word about what kind of impact this development might have on the area, and the city it resides in.

Agreed. Had high hopes for this thread but after a few posts I realized that no one is actually concerned with the subject, but rather the title.

I'll take a stab at it though. According to the Aerotropolis' website, they're expecting Airport City College Park to be completed within the next two years, and it will feature multiple tens of thousands of square footage for office space. From what I've read, at least two companies are moving their headquarters to the development, and another few more are moving there as well.

The development will have around 500-1000 personal residences, with the SFHs ranging from 200k-1M. The project is expected to begin construction in November of 2018. The skytrain will reach from the airport to the GICC, and then to the Airport City, and they recently just wrapped up a transit feasibility study where they're deciding both where and what kind of transit they'll implement. I even remember watching one video where the spokesperson mentioned that the area can see the most futuristic forms of transportation in the entire country, included autonomous vehicles and these vehicles which resemble modern aerial tramways.

I think the immediate area ITP (College Park, Hapeville, East Point) will see appreciation sooner than later (especially the areas along and near Camp Creek Parkway). I think Camp Creek Pkwy and Virginia Ave will lead some the way for the areas next to the airport. As far a north of the airport, I think the development of Fort McPherson will be the spark that East Point/South Atlanta will need, especially now that they've announced the new light rail that will connect North Atlanta to the Airport almost seamlessly.

Very interesting indeed. Wish they would put out more content regarding updates though.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:00 AM

1,040 posts, read 412,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

I'm not sure what else you and others were looking for or expecting. The details shared by those spearheading the project have been very limited thus far, which makes it difficult to have a true in-depth discussion of the socio-economic impact.

That said, from the information we do know, the project will be massive enough to likely be a game changer for neighborhoods / suburbs in a relatively short commuting distance to the site and is worthy of speculative discussion. It's no different than what we've been doing in the Amazon HQ2 thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or