Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 09:38 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,380,112 times

Advertisements

Wholesalers have swept through south and west Atlanta, in search of properties to buy. Housing advocates warn they’re predatory. But the investors say they serve the real estate market..."

https://www.wabe.org/equity-theft-in...wners-compete/

The article above is part of a series from WABE...below are related articles...

As Property Values Rise In Atlanta, So Does The Exploitation Of Black Homeowners
https://www.wabe.org/equity-theft-th...me-homeowners/

When City Code Feels Like A Weapon Against Atlanta’s Low-Income Homeowners
https://www.wabe.org/when-city-code-...me-homeowners/

What Atlanta Can Do To Protect Vulnerable Homeowners From Aggressive Investors
https://www.wabe.org/what-atlanta-co...ive-investors/

SOURCE: WABE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 09:46 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,046 times
The answer is to simply not sell to the "We buy houses" crowd and get a Real Estate agent. Or, if you want to stay in your home apply for the many property tax breaks and freezes depending on age and income. The race based fear mongering is ridiculous.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:12 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The answer is to simply not sell to the "We buy houses" crowd and get a Real Estate agent. Or, if you want to stay in your home apply for the many property tax breaks and freezes depending on age and income. The race based fear mongering is ridiculous.
I agree. There are hundreds of arcitcles trying to link everything under the sun to racism, much like the media does with Trump too which is where the "fake news" moniker came from.

Atlanta is Black Americans' city. I don't think there is a concerted effort to take advantage of the city's most vulnerable. It could be occurring though if no one is paying attention.

So the answer would be to voice this problem to the city and the public and monitor the situation.

The fact of the matter is that many neighborhoods need revitalization. And if existing property owners show pride in their neighborhood then it won't look like an easy target to be redeveloped.

The whole issue of displacing homeowners who live in desirable locations has no leg to stand on if no one keeps it appealing and not look run-down.

It doesn't cost any money to pick up the trash along all of our streets. I'm contemplating buying one of those spear poles and go to a few spots and pick it up myself such as the Pine St. exit ramp off the northbound Connector.. There is a truck load of old trash piled up behind the guard rail and I've looked at it for 2 years.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:12 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times
ronricks and architect77,

Over the past several years, I notice that whenever race or racism in Atlanta comes up that you are quick to jump in to disprove it. Did you actually listen to the NPR stories or did you just read the title and label it “fake news”? I can see if it was FoxNews, CNN, or MSNBC. But NPR?

You are entitled to your opinion, but I will admit that it often comes off as very misinformed when it comes to these types of topics.

I know it’s a long shot, but I would challenge you both to read the book, “White Fragility: Why is it so Hard for White People to talk about Racism” by Robin Diangelo. I’m not trying to be facetious, but I really want you to learn more so that you can better understand why you adhere to what you believe about these sort of topics. It is a quick read, has no political influence, and is not at all disparaging toward white people. But it is just one book that will help you understand the shortcomings in your “All they have to do is...” arguments.

Again, I assume that you will ignore or reject this challenge/recommendation. I hope that I am wrong. But I feel that I would be remiss if I did not at least try. Otherwise, if you do not care to grow and learn more about what you are so quick to comment on, you will continue to have a somewhat inaccurate perception of the realities that the OP mentions.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I agree.
If you have not already done so, I would encourage you to purchase and read “White Flight: Atlanta and Making of Modern Conservatism” by Kevin Kruse. Don’t let the title put you off. It is essential reading for any Atlantan and has been recommended in this forum many times.

You may also consider subscribing to the podcast, “Archive Atlanta” by Victoria Lemos. Both should shed some light and add some context on a few of the issues discussed here...

Old 09-16-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
ronricks and architect77,

Over the past several years, I notice that whenever race or racism in Atlanta comes up that you are quick to jump in to disprove it. Did you actually listen to the NPR stories or did you just read the title and label it “fake news”? I can see if it was FoxNews, CNN, or MSNBC. But NPR?

You are entitled to your opinion, but I will admit that it often comes off as very misinformed when it comes to these types of topics.

I know it’s a long shot, but I would challenge you both to read the book, “White Fragility: Why is it so Hard for White People to talk about Racism” by Robin Diangelo. I’m not trying to be facetious, but I really want you to learn more so that you can better understand why you adhere to what you believe about these sort of topics. It is a quick read, has no political influence, and is not at all disparaging toward white people. But it is just one book that will help you understand the shortcomings in your “All they have to do is...” arguments.

Again, I assume that you will ignore or reject this challenge/recommendation. I hope that I am wrong. But I feel that I would be remiss if I did not at least try. Otherwise, if you do not care to grow and learn more about what you are so quick to comment on, you will continue to have a somewhat inaccurate perception of the realities that the OP mentions.

I read the linked articles. Did you? The lady who was taken advantage of is 70 years old and was complaining about her property taxes "doubling" when at her age they should have been frozen already if she had taken the time to apply for it. It would have been a non issue. She was also taken advantage of by another black person. Not sure why you are bringing 'white' people into this discussion as they have nothing to do with it which was my point. The 'white boogeyman' in 2020 Atlanta doesn't exist and suggesting such is simply pandering and scare tactics. You brought up white fragility when the actual issues here in the linked articles is black fragility which exists but like many things is never discussed because it doesn't fit the narrative and agenda. The word 'racism' has lost all meaning unfortunately because it has become overused and the demand for racism in America has far exceeded the actual supply.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:33 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
I read the linked articles. Did you? The lady who was taken advantage of is 70 years old and was complaining about her property taxes "doubling" when at her age they should have been frozen already if she had taken the time to apply for it. It would have been a non issue. She was also taken advantage of by another black person. Not sure why you are bringing 'white' people into this discussion as they have nothing to do with it which was my point. The 'white boogeyman' in 2020 Atlanta doesn't exist and suggesting such is simply pandering and scare tactics. You brought up white fragility when the actual issues here in the linked articles is black fragility which exists but like many things is never discussed because it doesn't fit the narrative and agenda. The word 'racism' has lost all meaning unfortunately because it has become overused and the demand for racism in America has far exceeded the actual supply.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 09-16-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I did. And you are missing the point. The book isn’t about white people taking advantage of black people. Nor is it about black people being victims. It is about the factors that you often do not consider when discussing issues like this. If you ever read the book, you would see what I mean. But unfortunately, I am convinced that you likely will not. Possibly because (based on the title) you believe it will challenge any preconceived notions that you have. And if so, you will just continue to operate in a bubble of misunderstanding — which again is unfortunate...

Old 09-16-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I did. And you are missing the point. The book isn’t about white people taking advantage of black people. Nor is it about black people being victims. It is about the factors that you often do not consider when discussing issues like this. If you ever read the book, you would see what I mean. But unfortunately, I am convinced that you likely will not. Possibly because (based on the title) you believe it will challenge any preconceived notions that you have. And if so, you will just continue to operate in a bubble of misunderstanding — which again is unfortunate...

I am not discussing the book. The book has nothing to do with someone not taking the initiative to have their property taxes frozen or being taken advantage of by another black person. Her situation has nothing to do with race, racism, or a book. Her situation was easily avoidable but her decisions directly impacted her unfortunate outcome that could have been easily avoided. That has nothing to do with White Fragility. There were no external factors but her own (bad) choices that put her in that position. White Flight also has nothing to do with her situation. None. You can continue to try and perpetuate this narrative but it looks like I and a few others that have posted in this thread can recognize this for what it actually is without the race based fear mongering which is false. The issue here isn't White Fragility or White Flight.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I am not discussing the book. The book has nothing to do with someone not taking the initiative to have their property taxes frozen or being taken advantage of by another black person. Her situation has nothing to do with race, racism, or a book. Her situation was easily avoidable but her decisions directly impacted her unfortunate outcome that could have been easily avoided. That has nothing to do with White Fragility. There were no external factors but her own (bad) choices that put her in that position. White Flight also has nothing to do with her situation. None. You can continue to try and perpetuate this narrative but it looks like I and a few others that have posted in this thread can recognize this for what it actually is without the race based fear mongering which is false. The issue here isn't White Fragility or White Flight.
The title of one of main articles specifically mentions black homeowners. And you don’t have to discuss the book; I just think you should read it. But I’m talking about a series of comments about several posts, not just this specific individual post. But I understand. You don’t know about and don’t care about what I am talking about. And that perception bleeds into many of your comments. But I get it. You will never look into what I am saying. It just is what it is. Best regards

Last edited by equinox63; 09-16-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: