U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 10:03 PM

6 posts, read 2,764 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I am relatively new to Atlanta ( and LOVE it!), a single gal and ready to buy a condo or townhouse. I live in Alpharetta and just need help knowing the unsafe areas I'd like to avoid: typically areas where bail bonds, Fast-Cash loans type of businesses are. I know every neighborhood has it's pockets, I believe Roswell has a stretch along Atlanta h'way (Hwy 9) where there are some of those businesses. But, just go down the street to the South a bit and there is the lovely downtown.

I'm specially wondering about Roswell, Sandy Springs and Peachtree Corners. While I hear they are generally safe & sound areas, are there areas to avoid buying in?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 11:01 PM

1,137 posts, read 473,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Barracuda View Post
Howdy,

I am relatively new to Atlanta ( and LOVE it!), a single gal and ready to buy a condo or townhouse. I live in Alpharetta and just need help knowing the unsafe areas I'd like to avoid: typically areas where bail bonds, Fast-Cash loans type of businesses are. I know every neighborhood has it's pockets, I believe Roswell has a stretch along Atlanta h'way (Hwy 9) where there are some of those businesses. But, just go down the street to the South a bit and there is the lovely downtown.

I'm specially wondering about Roswell, Sandy Springs and Peachtree Corners. While I hear they are generally safe & sound areas, are there areas to avoid buying in?

Many thanks
Most of the North Metro is fairly clean as in... I've never really been in a position where I had to worry about anything...there's some smaller sectors that see more crime than others... for example the area of Holcomb Bridge Rd at the GA-400 interchange and the apartments in that radius, I've heard things about but its still nothing I'd consider a bad area.

Some of Norcross and Doraville precaution also needs to be adhered to. Otherwise... I dont really consider anything in the North Metro as unsafe.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:06 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,906,632 times
Holcomb Bridge at 400 and Northridge/North Springs (along and near that part of Roswell Rd and right off 400) are the only real rougher spots in N Fulton. Just because of all the older and cheaper apartments.

And in south Sandy Springs, Roswell Rd @ 285 is sort of borderline right in there. Basically right near the highway is usually the areas that have a little higher crime. Not always.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 9,532,497 times
Like you pointed out....one of the great things about this metro is it's extremely easy to tell what areas are safe and which aren't just by looking around.

There are only a few minor exceptions, like Cheshire Bridge Road (which looks disgusting, but is pretty much safe).

In the Northern suburbs, what you see is what you get.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:26 AM

Since my budget is limited and I am trying to buy all cash, I'm looking at the condo's near North Springs High School off Dalrymple Rd at the moment (East of 400) near Spaulding Drive. It looks like a quality area. I am in the Northridge (Exit 6 area) often and have to say I don't feel unsafe there. There is a Kroger's that vacated it's location just off Roswell rd. That always makes me wonder why a big store like there would leave.

Norcross (Peachtree Corners) I have very little experience with. Seems East of Jimmy Carter Blvd is where it gets sketchy?

Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 AM

98 posts, read 37,719 times
There are no unsafe areas in the northern metro and the south side is not bad either. Clayton, South Fulton and South Dekalb counties are not as dangerous as people think, way better then Cleveland, south side Chicago, Detroit or other northern city hoods.
The only areas I would avoid in Metro Atlanta is Bankhead, English Avenue, Vine City (getting better with gentrification), Grove Park, Lakewood Heights, Pittsburgh, Oakland City, most parts of Sylvan Hills and the Bouldercrest Road corridor north of 285. Areas like East Point, College Park and Panthersville isn’t as bad as people make it seem. It’s just not as safe as the pristine Northern Metro suburbs.
East of Jimmy Carter is not really sketchy, it’s just more working class with more immigrants (Hispanics). The area is relatively safe, not as safe as Alpharetta or Johns Creek but I wouldn’t be scared or avoid the area.
The Northridge-North Sandy Springs area is a very nice area, it’s a very bustling area and sometimes the traffic can be nightmarish but safety wise it has no problems at all.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:16 AM

1,061 posts, read 878,980 times
It's all relative, but there's nothing really dangerous here unless you're loitering in unfamiliar areas at night. That can be unwise nearly anywhere.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
There are no unsafe areas in the northern metro and the south side is not bad either. Clayton, South Fulton and South Dekalb counties are not as dangerous as people think, way better then Cleveland, south side Chicago, Detroit or other northern city hoods.
The only areas I would avoid in Metro Atlanta is Bankhead, English Avenue, Vine City (getting better with gentrification), Grove Park, Lakewood Heights, Pittsburgh, Oakland City, most parts of Sylvan Hills and the Bouldercrest Road corridor north of 285. Areas like East Point, College Park and Panthersville isnít as bad as people make it seem. Itís just not as safe as the pristine Northern Metro suburbs.
East of Jimmy Carter is not really sketchy, itís just more working class with more immigrants (Hispanics). The area is relatively safe, not as safe as Alpharetta or Johns Creek but I wouldnít be scared or avoid the area.
The Northridge-North Sandy Springs area is a very nice area, itís a very bustling area and sometimes the traffic can be nightmarish but safety wise it has no problems at all.
Wonderful, detailed feedback! Many thanks. This forum is really thoughtful and generous with your time and information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or