U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 2,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Nothing comes close to Chicago, IMO. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any major US Cities in the south that approximate Chicago.

Having said that and having looked at a few photos online (i've spent time in Chicago proper, but not Andersonville nor Lakview, nor Edgewater) you can find small bits and pieces that start to resemble certain slices (if you really squint your eyes). These are the issue:
1. The brick brownstone type homes largely do not exist anywhere in Atlanta
2. There is no massive body of water and accompanying coastal views
3. The more densely populated (but still not as dense as Chicago) urban zones cover a lot smaller area than they do in Chicago
4. A lot of the Atlanta areas that wouldn't look out of place in Chicago are far apart from each other.

I'm not looking for the style of housing so much as having a walkable neighborhood that offers shopping and entertainment options within a few blocks of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 11:27 AM

1,686 posts, read 1,672,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees123 View Post
I'll be relocating to Atlanta this summer for work in Alpharetta.

I'm looking for neighborhoods around Alpharetta or on the northside of Atlanta that are similar in feel to some of Chicago's northside neighborhoods like Lakeview, Edgewater, or Andersonville.

I'd like a walkable area with shops, boutiques, restaurants, some decent nightlife, access to public spaces. Schools are not a concern. Price is somewhat of a concern. $5k for an apartment is out of the question but I know my desired amenities come with a cost. I definitely don't want suburban sprawl with only big box retails and strip malls. It's got to have some sort of personality.

After living in Chicago, I'm used to competely terrible traffic all the time so a commute of 30-45 minutes is ok. Of course, I'd always prefer less.

I'll be visiting Atlanta in the next week so any advice to get me started would be appreciated.
I am voting for downtown Roswell (walkable downtown similar to those in the northeastern small towns--very, very busy though), and Avalon (new mixed use development--you will have to see for yourself if you like it). If work were not in Alpharetta, I would say Decatur, Grant Park, Inman Park, Old Fourth Ward, or any of the intown neighobrhoods near the beltline (urban walking trail w/ retail along sections of it), However, with your work, you would have hella reverse commute. If just depends on how important the vibe is to you/how much you hate to drive in traffic. The intown neighborhoods will skew younger/cooler than downtown Roswell. Roswell does have great restaurants and shops, it just feels a little older and more cutesy than the intown neighborhoods.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 2,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
However, with your work, you would have hella reverse commute.
You bring up a good point I hadn't thought of. How does the traffic flow during am and pm rush hours, specifically on the north side? Are people commuting into the city or are city dwellers commuting out to work in the suburbs?

Old 06-01-2018, 06:19 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,020,220 times
Quote:
You bring up a good point I hadn't thought of. How does the traffic flow during am and pm rush hours, specifically on the north side? Are people commuting into the city or are city dwellers commuting out to work in the suburbs?

Both. Up until about 10 years ago it was mostly southbound. There are over 100,000 high paying jobs in Alpharetta now though.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:44 PM

3,548 posts, read 2,309,093 times
Quote:
Going south into the city is still higher volume but as mentioned above the reverse commute is no longer a cake walk and is getting to be decently high volume as well.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:45 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,105,475 times
I'd recommend 1. Midtown and then 2. Buckhead
Having lived in Alpharetta and Roswell, I just don't think you'd be happy if you really want a walkable lifestyle.

Along with that, try and work an early shift or alternative work week to ease the commute.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:36 PM

4,241 posts, read 2,827,187 times
I guess sit depends on your preferences and where you work in Alpharetta, but I think there are commuter busses going up there from North Springs. You could live in Midtown, MARTA to North Springs, then bus to Alpharetta, and skip most of the commute. Midtown sounds like what you're looking for living-wise. Buckhead may cut it.

Holy crap...I just channeled my hidden urbanist. Sorry guys, now I need to go look up how to properly use "vibrancy" in a sentence.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 PM

111 posts, read 42,639 times
I think Buckhead or Midtown to Alpharetta is too long of a drive even going against traffic.
Midtown and Buckhead are very expensive to live in. Apartments are pricey and homes are insanely expensive.
I would live somewhere around Perimeter Mall/Costco area/Mt. Vernon and hop on 400 North to Alpharetta.
That area now has some walkabiliity and is a bit hipsterish IMO although there are families there as well.
There are gated apartments that I have seen that are more reasonably priced that in Buckhead and the area is well situated in proximity to Buckhead/downtown if the OP has to go there for social life and work.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:53 PM

111 posts, read 42,639 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I started looking at Roswell. It's close to Alpharetta and seems to have a decent downtown area. I'll also explore the Buckhead area. It seems like it covers the entire north side. I'm sure there's more nuance but from up here, it's hard to tell.

One other question, can anyone recommend a good resource for rentals that aren't huge complexes? I find privately owned flats or houses generally have more appeal, are better located, and cheaper (cheaper is always good). Craigslist used to be a good option but it's been taken over by ads for the large complexes.
Not sure what you mean by privately owned flats. Condos that are rented out by owner? You can certainly do that but in the areas I mentioned that will cost you up to 2000/mo and you will be paying a security deposit in this same amount, which you will probably not get back in its entirety. The property owner may give you a 30 days notice if they choose not to renew a contract with you (lets say they decide to sell). There are nice gated apartments with amenities such as gym, pool and clubhouse and I would definitely do that and not a condo rental. That is if you are single.

Stand alone houses for rent in the areas mentioned may approach rent rates in Chicago.
Or they will have dated kitchens with dated appliances, old carpet and walls that aren't freshly painted. You will have to mow the lawn, too and trim the shrubs. The owners don't do that in ATL if they rent the house out. It is your responsibility.

A home rental is typically sought out by a family looking to be in a specific school district.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,765,878 times
I lived in Atlanta for serveral years. I currently live in Edgewater. There is absolutely nothing in Alpharetta or metro Atlanta that compares to Edgewater, Andersonville or Lakeview. Just accept that metro Atlanta is completely different and offers more of a suburban lifestyle, especially if you are looking to live near or in Alpharetta.

You will only find walkability with some shopping and restaunts in Atlanta itself Little 5 Points, Midtown, Poncey-Highland, Virginia-Higland in Atlanta. I don't know how this will work for you if your job is in Alpharetta. I also think you may like downtown Decatur/Decatur Square area. It has some nice boutiques and good restaunts. I used to live in Virginia-Highland and really loved living there. Buckhead isn't that walkable once you are no longer on Peachtree Street. There are a lot of parts of Buckhead that don't have side walks. I used to live in Buckhead also. I would choose Virginia-Highland or Midtown over Buckhead.

One Chicagoan to another, I think you'd like Virginia-Higland or downtown Decatur better than the other areas you are considering. They are still no Chicago but may have a little bit of what you want. The two cities are completely different so don't expect a one-to-one similar lifestyle there. Alpharetta or metro Atlanta in general does not offer the same level of conveniences or walkability as Chicago, so you will still spend a lot of time driving places. A lot of parts of metro Atlanta don't have sidewalks. Don't go to Atlanta expecting it to be like Chicago. You will not like it if you do.

The commute from these areas to Alpharetta will be brutal if you try to live in the city and commute to the northern burbs for work. Buckhead might be somewhat more convenient but the traffic is bad. Alpharetta and Atlanta's suburbs have subdivisions or apartment complexes, not distinct neighborhoods like Chicago; and most of these subdivisions don't have sidewalks inside of them or outside of them. So there aren't a lot of safe places to walk. If you are averse to chains and big-box stores, you may not like Alpharetta. It is full of strip malls, chains and "McMansions."

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 06-03-2018 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or