U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:53 AM

1,957 posts, read 2,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees123 View Post
I'm not looking for the style of housing so much as having a walkable neighborhood that offers shopping and entertainment options within a few blocks of me.
Your first problem is that you said 'blocks'. Proper city blocks are hard to come by in the Atlanta area. There are some in the city, but Atlanta is largely devoid of the grid type of street system.

If you really want to talk to entertainment and shopping then you'll need to live in the city proper. Poncey Highlands or Midtown or Inman Park or somewhere like that. Even then a car will still be a necessity and you will almost certainly end up driving most/much of the time to reach a decently sized supermarket or restaurants that aren't the same 3-4 within easy walking distance.

Its important to keep in mind that Atlanta's low density applies to both residential and commercial development. There are a few spots here and there that might fit your bill...Atlantic station has pretty high density, many parts of midtown and Decatur as other posters have mentioned. There are also a few downtown areas that might be worth considering... but few/none of these are within an easy commute to Alpharetta. I currently live right on the Alpharetta border and the Avalon mixed use development (off of exit 10 of GA 400) or the Northpoint mall area (between exit 8 and exit 9) are as dense as it gets for Alpharetta and is a far, far, far cry from urban living (albeit still superior to the traffic/mess you'll find north of exit 12 up 400).

You will have to adjust to a different style of environment and living. Tour the area. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs (exit 5 of GA 400) might be the best compromise you can strike between proximity to the city, marginally reasonable commute (less than an hour) and enough density to walk around a bit.... however the fare in the densest parts of Dunwoody is mostly mall type shops and restaurant franchises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:23 AM

292 posts, read 92,860 times
This is not helpful for your neighborhood search at all, but...

When you start missing da Bears/Cubs/Hawks and good Chicago bar food, this place (in Alpharetta) should help get you your fix: https://www.bobbygs.com

Old 06-05-2018, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 772 times
The info is helpful. It gives me a smaller range to focus on, based on everyone's perspective. I now know I'll probably stuck with suburban sprawl, at least for a while. I'll have to make the best of it.

As for missing Chicago sports teams, I'm not originally from Chicago and I never adopted it or the teams as my own. So no loss there. As for the food, meh. It's overrated. There is a lot of quantity but the quality isn't there most of the time. Not to say all food in Chicago is bad (there are a few places that are out of this world), it's just that most restaurants are average at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or