U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:08 PM

5 posts, read 2,151 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Atlanta this summer for work in Alpharetta.

I'm looking for neighborhoods around Alpharetta or on the northside of Atlanta that are similar in feel to some of Chicago's northside neighborhoods like Lakeview, Edgewater, or Andersonville.

I'd like a walkable area with shops, boutiques, restaurants, some decent nightlife, access to public spaces. Schools are not a concern. Price is somewhat of a concern. $5k for an apartment is out of the question but I know my desired amenities come with a cost. I definitely don't want suburban sprawl with only big box retails and strip malls. It's got to have some sort of personality.

After living in Chicago, I'm used to competely terrible traffic all the time so a commute of 30-45 minutes is ok. Of course, I'd always prefer less.

I'll be visiting Atlanta in the next week so any advice to get me started would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 03:26 PM

99 posts, read 47,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees123 View Post

I'm looking for neighborhoods around Alpharetta or on the northside of Atlanta that are similar in feel to some of Chicago's northside neighborhoods like Lakeview, Edgewater, or Andersonville.

I'd like a walkable area with shops, boutiques, restaurants, some decent nightlife, access to public spaces. Schools are not a concern. Price is somewhat of a concern. $5k for an apartment is out of the question but I know my desired amenities come with a cost. I definitely don't want suburban sprawl with only big box retails and strip malls. It's got to have some sort of personality.

After living in Chicago, I'm used to competely terrible traffic all the time so a commute of 30-45 minutes is ok. Of course, I'd always prefer less.

I'll be visiting Atlanta in the next week so any advice to get me started would be appreciated.

You won't find Chicago in Atlanta, especially not in the northern suburbs. You'll need to live inside the I285 perimeter if you want walkablility and the amenities you mention, and the commute up to Alpharetta might take longer than you're anticipating, depending on your work hours. The northern suburbs/satellite cities certainly have their charms, but northside Chicago they are not.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:33 PM

1,137 posts, read 472,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
You won't find Chicago in Atlanta, especially not in the northern suburbs. You'll need to live inside the I285 perimeter if you want walkablility and the amenities you mention, and the commute up to Alpharetta might take longer than you're anticipating, depending on your work hours. The northern suburbs/satellite cities certainly have their charms, but northside Chicago they are not.
For the most part I have to agree with this.

Some of Alpharetta (primarily Windward Pkwy, Old Milton Pkwy west of GA-400, Northpoint Pkwy, and Haynes Bridge Rd) have a mild Chicago suburb feel to it... but aside from that they're apples and oranges. Transit even there is absolutely nothing compared to Chicago's either.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:04 PM

3,947 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Although not Chicago, I would try Buckhead and commute to Alpharetta.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:33 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,549,200 times
Or try something that meets your needs but is different. Definitely take a look at Avalon on Old Milton Parkway.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,253,607 times
Downtown Roswell/ Roswell Historic District?

Old 06-01-2018, 05:10 AM

12,906 posts, read 20,974,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Downtown Roswell/ Roswell Historic District?

Yes.

I recommend:

Roswell: Downtown Roswell/Roswell Square/Canton Street/Roswell Historic District
Woodstock: Downtown Woodstock/Main Street
Alpharetta: Downtown Alpharetta stretching over to Avalon

Old 06-01-2018, 07:59 AM

156 posts, read 160,079 times
Midtown Atlanta will be the closest neighborhood to Chicago. The commute will be longer but it might be worth it.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,995,834 times
Nothing comes close to Chicago, IMO. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any major US Cities in the south that approximate Chicago.

Having said that and having looked at a few photos online (i've spent time in Chicago proper, but not Andersonville nor Lakview, nor Edgewater) you can find small bits and pieces that start to resemble certain slices (if you really squint your eyes). These are the issue:
1. The brick brownstone type homes largely do not exist anywhere in Atlanta
2. There is no massive body of water and accompanying coastal views
3. The more densely populated (but still not as dense as Chicago) urban zones cover a lot smaller area than they do in Chicago
4. A lot of the Atlanta areas that wouldn't look out of place in Chicago are far apart from each other.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 2,151 times
Thanks for the responses. I started looking at Roswell. It's close to Alpharetta and seems to have a decent downtown area. I'll also explore the Buckhead area. It seems like it covers the entire north side. I'm sure there's more nuance but from up here, it's hard to tell.

One other question, can anyone recommend a good resource for rentals that aren't huge complexes? I find privately owned flats or houses generally have more appeal, are better located, and cheaper (cheaper is always good). Craigslist used to be a good option but it's been taken over by ads for the large complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or