Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:53 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
My use of the term 'media' was meant to be comprehensive, covering all forms of it.

And I agree on ALL POINTS. Instead, the focus is placed entirely upon guns.
The issue have been about guns, because "Canada, Europe and Japan" don't have the US issues with homicides nor the US guns laws.

Some guns like the ones used in Vegas, and Orlando really shouldn't be legal. Seriously in what scenario would having a gun that kill 60 people in a minute counts as just "self protection"

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImag...wm_8465153.jpg

One of the flaws with the gun argument is on the right, they always point to the argument saying but criminal will always get guns we need protection.................. yeah because some easily legally buy one legally and sell them illegally to criminals

I'm not against 2A but their does need to be more restriction on it. The issue isn't black and white.

Last edited by chiatldal; 06-01-2018 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-01-2018, 11:12 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Absolutely.

One of the young men killed was a co-worker of mines sibling. He just graduated on Thursday and he is dead on Monday evening.

This summer is beginning to feel like 2007 with the various murders. That was a rough summer, if I remember correctly.
Unfortunately, our leaders - public and private alike - are not helping the situation at all with their repulsive actions and devisive words. I am sure when those folks - to whom so many look up to - behave poorly, their actions and words trickle down to impressionable folks, particularly our youth.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:18 AM

Every Adult around someone young has as responsibility of setting a better example, whether their parents, teacher, police or the freakin store clerk. No matter what your race, religion, or community you live in. Yes the parents should be the first role model but you never know the situation the parents or the child or are in. Regardless that child needs that motivation.

But again core of this issue is poverty. unless that issue is fix most gun violence will not.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:51 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again Canada, Europe and Japan also have violence in there media, they don't seem to have this promblem.

People are dealing with Real world issues like poverty and etc not worrying over a stupid video game. Most of these homicides are link to money. When American become serious about wanting lower the crime rate America will become serious about trying to lower poverty.
For the most part, I don’t think it is a poverty of money, but a poverty of purpose. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t real poverty of money issues—but I think that folks who don’t see that society has a respectful place for them, will do anti-social things to create a purpose for themselves. Even some of the things that have helped reduce some poverty of money issues, have created poverty of purpose issues.

And you *do* see that in Europe. If you look at France you will see similar issues among unassimilated populations, for similar reasons—the unassimilated perceive that French society has no respectable place for them, and a subset of these folks do anti-social things. Their response has been to push, in some cases force assimilation with mixed results.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
For the most part, I don’t think it is a poverty of money, but a poverty of purpose. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t real poverty of money issues—but I think that folks who don’t see that society has a respectful place for them, will do anti-social things to create a purpose for themselves. Even some of the things that have helped reduce some poverty of money issues, have created poverty of purpose issues.

And you *do* see that in Europe. If you look at France you will see similar issues among unassimilated populations, for similar reasons—the unassimilated perceive that French society has no respectable place for them, and a subset of these folks do anti-social things. Their response has been to push, in some cases force assimilation with mixed results.
Partly agree and disagree but this can cause other issue relating to prejudice. Prejudice People would deem it's their religious, music, languages or what ever cultural attributes as superiors when it's not even the variable that cause the situation. This does nothing but isolate people more, rather than trying to understand different cultures to bring people to together.

But on the flipside the poverty is real everywhere there is poverty their is crime. If the society ignore and doesn't work with the group in poverty the crime will stay.

And I'm not saying it not a issue at all, but the crime rate and poverty in Europe is much smaller in Europe than it is The US.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:00 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
You can raise a child perfect and they can still get caught up in the streets if they're not strong willed. Saw it happen many times with friends and family members both. Raised in good 2 parent homes, taught values, etc etc etc and it still didn't matter. It works often but not all of the time. Just the same as many parents wouldnt raise their kids to get black out drunk and do drugs. But as soon as they hit college they get caught up in the hype.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:51 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Assimilation is a difficult topic, of course. But in Europe, it's made even more difficult by Eurozone ease that lots of immigrants legally have no access to. I mean that some immigrants find it difficult to assimilate because they're socially and physically segregated by education, income, etc. in little ethnic enclaves. Germany is a good example of that and whenever I am in Germany for work (am now), it seems to come easier through college towns even though they are the exception over the rule. There's having no purpose, maybe, and there's not being able to have a purpose. Italy, Germany and France in particular are really, really feeling the burn of their incredibly stratified societies and what comes with stuff like immigration. But their solution to community tension isn't more guns. Before my last visit, I remember a group of Germans standing outside in Frankfurt very disturbed that there is a gun store (Frankfurt being one of the most diverse cities the country has), and repeating almost ad nausea "we don't want to be like Americans."

Old 06-02-2018, 02:17 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You are right. I could continue the violence-oriented media observation with: violence-oriented video games and violence-oriented music. Some will argue about this one, but dropping church attendance may also be a contributing factor.
The communities with the most violence and problems are the same ones where higher % of the community does attend church and is religious. Ditto at a state and regional and national and international level.

More people hopefully realizing religion is fictional, and electronic entertainment, and the media, all have nothing or little to do with it. And violence-obsessed rap music is a co-symptom of the root issues, not a cause.

It's all economics and policy and effects, it's fundamentally education and its cyclical generational effects, it's the culture of our education in this country, it's culture in general, particularly deep and cyclical issues in the black community.

It's drugs prohibition.

And a huge part of it, is the widespread prevalence of guns. Guns tend to make it a little easier to shoot someone.

IMO people kill each other like this, and young people with their whole life ahead of them end up dead, because we have fundamentally stupid laws and we have fundamentally stupid social and familial culture. People without money or education have all these babies (because their stupid church leaders tell them to), instead of learn things and actually improve themselves and situations. This cycle continues and continues.

Oh and meanwhile, 1% of the U.S. population has 40% of the country's wealth. There's no real middle class. You're pretty much born into being a have or a have not, and there's little escaping the latter for the former.

Ultimately it has nothing to do with race inherently, it's just that economics and race are pretty heavily tied together. And culture within a community. That's my vague take on it. It's NOT freaking PS4 games. Rich kids play as much or more violent video games, and they're not shooting each other nearly as much as the rest.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:06 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Absolutely.

One of the young men killed was a co-worker of mines sibling. He just graduated on Thursday and he is dead on Monday evening.

This summer is beginning to feel like 2007 with the various murders. That was a rough summer, if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I remember it too. That year was violent mainly because of the Katrina refugees. 2016 was a bad recent year. This year is still not on that level yet, but we'll see how this summer goes. But my biggest concern is if it's the beginning of a longer term trend for the worse.

Overall, it's because of a new generation coming of age. And you thought Millennials lacked discipline and morals? The Post-millenials/Generation Z (or whatever you want to call it) are a lost generation with no guidance, no values, and no social skills. Most of the interaction is done on social media. It's partly due to their parents both having to work to provide for them, and the parents are usually too tired and don't have time for proper child rearing.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:42 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Canada, Europe and Japan also have violence in there media, they don't seem to have this promblem.
They also possess vast cultural differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: