U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:26 AM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times

Advertisements

Isn't there something we can do about this? It's just terrible for a city that (rightly) holds itself up as one of the best to have its young people cut down like this.

This is heartbreaking and unacceptable.

Six teens shot in four days: A violent start to summer break

Old 06-01-2018, 08:33 AM

320 posts, read 155,770 times
It has been a very violent year in general across the metro. The little 3 year old that was killed in SE Atlanta a few months ago and the 6 year old killed in the house in DeKalb. It's really gotten out of hand and not much outrage from what I have seen.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:41 AM

9,555 posts, read 8,616,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
It has been a very violent year in general across the metro. The little 3 year old that was killed in SE Atlanta a few months ago and the 6 year old killed in the house in DeKalb. It's really gotten out of hand and not much outrage from what I have seen.
Unless the occurrence is a mass shooting, it seems as if society has become numb to the one-off killings. I have long held the belief that most of these tragedies could be avoided through involved parenting and a healthy home life.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:55 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Unless the occurrence is a mass shooting, it seems as if society has become numb to the one-off killings. I have long held the belief that most of these tragedies could be avoided through involved parenting and a healthy home life.
Too right. A violence-oriented media hasn't helped, either.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:13 AM

9,555 posts, read 8,616,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You are right. I could continue the violence-oriented media observation with: violence-oriented video games and violence-oriented music. Some will argue about this one, but dropping church attendance may also be a contributing factor.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:41 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
You are right. I could continue the violence-oriented media observation with: violence-oriented video games and violence-oriented music. Some will argue about this one, but dropping church attendance may also be a contributing factor.
My use of the term 'media' was meant to be comprehensive, covering all forms of it.

And I agree on ALL POINTS. Instead, the focus is placed entirely upon guns.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:04 AM

3,946 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Parenting!

Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM

4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Canada, Europe and Japan also have violence in there media, they don't seem to have this promblem.

Quote:
The issue is Poverty, Education, and once some become a criminal it become hard to get a job and etc this creates a cycle.

At some point in time there is a small segment in society that basically gives up, and they see Criminal activity as more productive. There have to be some form of hope that things can get better to these individuals before these take the wrong path.

Like a teen who parents is struggling to put food on the table, Let say they mess up in schooled and they are at a cross roads, mean where the drug dealers up the street have all this money.

Blaming parent is cop out and a dead end cause you don't know the situation the parents are in or if they tried their best with the situation there they in, Not to mention this basically going since it's not my children and community it's not my responsibility and you wonder why "society has become numb to the one-off killings" and that the difference with these mass shooting. They not happen happening in the "hood" so their not ignored.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:23 AM

4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Quote:
Again Canada, Europe and Japan also have violence in there media, they don't seem to have this promblem.

People are dealing with Real world issues like poverty and etc not worrying over a stupid video game. Most of these homicides are link to money. When American become serious about wanting lower the crime rate America will become serious about trying to lower poverty.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:44 AM

4,143 posts, read 5,734,638 times
Quote:
I have long held the belief that most of these tragedies could be avoided through involved parenting and a healthy home life.
Absolutely.

One of the young men killed was a co-worker of mines sibling. He just graduated on Thursday and he is dead on Monday evening.

This summer is beginning to feel like 2007 with the various murders. That was a rough summer, if I remember correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or