U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 06:59 AM

3,993 posts, read 5,829,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Agreed. But realistically, I do see Chattanooga to Atlanta happening as far as high speed rail first. There's a lot more pass-through traffic and sprawl/development in that corridor, and it's much faster growing than the Atlanta to Columbus corridor.

That said, at the very least, there needs to be commuter rail from Newnan / Peachtree City to the airport and downtown, given all of the folks down there who work at Hartsfield-Jackson and Delta, especially with Aerotropolis now starting to take off.
But Columbus to Atlanta with a stop in Lagrange would be an easy first option. A study has been finished and shows the connection would be financially feasible. There would be stops in Lagrange and Newnan. Plus there is a ton of traffic going to Fort Benning that flys through Atlanta. Columbus also has a large corporate base with offices in Atlanta. The right-of-way would be easier to develop IMO. Columbus is closer which means less track which equals less cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 07:20 AM

3,509 posts, read 8,642,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think Florida is really sort of its own animal because of how massive tourism is.

Interestingly, the governor turned down federal funding for a train from Tampa to Orlando a couple of years go. He said the state would end up subsidizing it. He's PROBABLY right, but failed to think about how much money it would bring in from tourists extending their stays. So many people flock to Orlando every year, they might stay an extra day or two if they knew they could hop a train and get to the beach, either in Tampa or on the Space Coast. Also, I-4 is an extremely heavily traveled thoroughfare, so relieving that congestion would be great.

Joe Henderson: Rick Scott may have been right rejecting high-speed rail Ė Florida Politics

Anyway...I guess the point I'm trying to make is if they can't make tourism hubs like Tampa to Orlando work, what chance does Atlanta to Chattanooga have?

I do, however agree with the above statement. Commuter rail is by far, the single most important issue facing this metro. I really can't believe we can't get our S together on it. Point fingers all you want, it's this person's fault, it's that person's, it's too expensive, blah blah blah. It's all noise. We're all equally pathetic for not being able to overcome all that to make it happen. And it's going to cost us all plenty in the long run.
Great points. If Gov. Scott didn't rejected the fed funds and let the private sector take over, they could have been waiting for decades like every other region, including California. Atlanta to Chattanooga doesnít make much sense. I think Atlanta to Savannah should be the first HSR line, as many tourists go there. I never understood why Atlanta is one of the only metro areas that doesn't have commuter rail and probably never will. Detroit and even Jacksonville, FL might build theirs before we do.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 AM

1,620 posts, read 662,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
But Columbus to Atlanta with a stop in Lagrange would be an easy first option. A study has been finished and shows the connection would be financially feasible. There would be stops in Lagrange and Newnan. Plus there is a ton of traffic going to Fort Benning that flys through Atlanta. Columbus also has a large corporate base with offices in Atlanta. The right-of-way would be easier to develop IMO. Columbus is closer which means less track which equals less cost.
I question the financially feasible part. My understanding is that it will cost at least $4 billion to get it up and running. So it makes me wonder how much tickets would have to cost just to ensure it's profitable.

Yeah, there's traffic from Columbus to Atlanta's airport, but it would be worth it for enough people to pay $50, $60 or especially $100 round-trip on this rail when it's cheaper and doesn't take much longer to simply drive (Columbus is only 1.5 hours away from Atlanta, and 1 hour away from Newnan)? It's not like road congestion is even a factor along this route.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:28 AM

3,509 posts, read 8,642,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
And what state do you think has the most Florida tourists pass through it enroute? (Hint: Starts with "G" and ends in "eorgia").

Seriously though, Atlanta developed as being the key connection point between Florida, the South, North East, and Chicago / MidWest.

Also, while yes, Orlando is #1 in the US for tourists at 57M a year, Atlanta is not that far behind at 42M a year.

I do not agree private transit companies are that dependant on tourism for success. Even if it is, Atlanta is well positioned as the gateway to Florida and a major tourist destination own its own.
In addition to Savannah (which should connect to Jacksonville), there should be a directly to from Atlanta to Orlando via Macon with stops in Tifton, Valdosta, Lake City, Gainesville, and Ocala.

Btw, Texas is also building a HSR line by the private sector.

Quote:
That would be awesome.

Do you know that if you want to take Amtrak from Atlanta to Jacksonville, you have to connect in New Orleans?

You could almost walk to Jacksonville faster.
That's why I took Megabus. Granted it's not a train, but it allowed me to leave the car at home.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:00 AM

5,087 posts, read 3,861,150 times
Quote:
That would be awesome.

Do you know that if you want to take Amtrak from Atlanta to Jacksonville, you have to connect in New Orleans?

You could almost walk to Jacksonville faster.
Not anymore, the Sunset Limited east of New Orleans to Jacksonville and Orlando has been "temporarily suspended" since Katrina in 2005. The only two ways are to connect at Charlotte to the Carolinian, then the Silver Star at Cary or Raleigh, or go to Washington and connect to the Silver Star or Silver Meteor there.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:08 AM

3,489 posts, read 2,945,430 times
Quote:
The Great Wolf Lodge just opened in LaGrange. I know it's pretty far out for a lot of folks, but it stil markets itself as being in Atlanta and is intended to cater to Atlanta

GWL was practically begging to build in Peachtree City (they even modified their plans several times and didn't ask for any incentives), but they (Peachtree City) tarred and feathered them. And why they didn't look into another area closer in than LaGrange besides Peachtree City, I have no clue.
Lagrange is probably the cheapest land close to Atlanta they could build on, plus itís close to a major interstate unlike Peachtree City. Another advantage is capturing people who are in Columbus, Auburn, and Montgomery.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 AM

1,620 posts, read 662,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Lagrange is probably the cheapest land close to Atlanta they could build on, plus it’s close to a major interstate unlike Peachtree City. Another advantage is capturing people who are in Columbus, Auburn, and Montgomery.
There's hardly a shortage of cheap land along I-85 between LaGrange and Atlanta.

Your latter point has some merit, but it begs the question of why they were pushing so hard for Peachtree City in the first place if that were the case.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:54 AM

272 posts, read 104,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yeah...if you're really set on using it, that's what you do. But with 30-minute or more headways typical of many (most?) MARTA bus routes, and you adding another 15-20 minutes on the front of that...you might waste a pretty hefty amount of time just waiting. MARTA's bus routes are very meandering and heavily focus towards midtown and downtown.
I hear yall daggonit! The wackiest pathways I've taken have been from the North to downtown, though. If you're right on the rail line, great, but if you're not, it's a noticeable lack in quality w/routes and frequency. You can get a lot done on transit though: writing, reading... if you have to bite the bullet to take it but plan your between time activity, time can be less "wasted."

Old 06-10-2018, 08:22 AM

22,860 posts, read 16,855,675 times
Quote:
I question the financially feasible part. My understanding is that it will cost at least $4 billion to get it up and running. So it makes me wonder how much tickets would have to cost just to ensure it's profitable.

Yeah, there's traffic from Columbus to Atlanta's airport, but it would be worth it for enough people to pay $50, $60 or especially $100 round-trip on this rail when it's cheaper and doesn't take much longer to simply drive (Columbus is only 1.5 hours away from Atlanta, and 1 hour away from Newnan)? It's not like road congestion is even a factor along this route.
Subsidize the construction costs with TODs at the stations. That is what brightline AKA FEC is doing.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:14 PM

28,641 posts, read 25,430,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Subsidize the construction costs with TODs at the stations. That is what brightline AKA FEC is doing.
Smart! That's the way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or