U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 AM

2,123 posts, read 3,390,845 times

Advertisements

So, a random discussion. I have family in Florida. Was speaking to one of them yesterday and they mentioned that they were about to take a trip down to Miami for a few hours to do some shopping. I asked were they driving and he says no, we're gonna jump on the bright line since it's quicker. Had no clue what it was but didn't pay it any mind until the thought popped back up and I decided to google it. To be honest, I had no clue this even existed since I don't really keep up with Florida. But my question is, why in the HELL do we still not have something like this? For those that don't know what i'm referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYPBuf_3Lo4

Lines between Miami and West Palm are already complete and they're about to start construction on a line up to Orlando (which will link to the new terminal that Orlando is building at the airport). It also links with public transportation in every city that has a stop including commuter rail.

Quote:
Reporters have estimated from daily counting in Spring 2018 that the average ridership has reached about 30,000 per month during the introductory service from Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale.[55] The company itself announced that the ridership has been triple to what had been expected.[56] The forecast provided to bond investors calls for 240,000 passengers per month by 2020 which includes service to Miami.[55] Analyst Fitch Ratings has said that the company can break even at 56% of their ridership forecast.[56]
Go figure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 03:02 AM

235 posts, read 82,493 times
We need a government excited for public transit, and we need a culture of folk who'd rather sit on a train than drive. Not sure if it is an egg before chicken situation (chicken before egg?), but, well, if it is true more folk are moving downtown too yet ridership isn't exactly increasing, who would want to go bankrupt for that? https://www.itsmarta.com/KPIRidership.aspx

I think there's a high speed rail idea between some states but it obviously hinges on money and ridership.

I'm often sad about this things. I'm convincing myself that, besides a spike in car wrecks, that cycling and public transit actually increases my lifespan just for a significant drop in travel stress. Trains can always depend on me though! It'd be great if we could fast-track it, but maybe it's something my grandkids would enjoy without thinking about it.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:38 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,548,096 times
GDOT has discussed this many times but I don't know the current status

?Studies continue on developing high-speed passenger rail service on four corridors:"
Atlanta to Birmingham
Atlanta to Charlotte
Atlanta to Louisville
Macon to Jacksonville

I also recall several years ago the concept of a high-speed rails from Hartsfield-Jackson to Chattanooga where you could potentially have a connector flight.

Rail

Old 06-08-2018, 05:14 AM

4,907 posts, read 3,704,919 times
Brightline is due to conditions that simply don't exist anywhere else. The company that owns Brightline also basically sort of (it's complicated) owns the track and tons of real estate around the track. That's how the private "streetcar companies" around Atlanta used to survive, they didn't make money from the transit, they made money from people living in their buildings because the streetcars enabled them to get around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
We need a government excited for public transit, and we need a culture of folk who'd rather sit on a train than drive. Not sure if it is an egg before chicken situation (chicken before egg?), but, well, if it is true more folk are moving downtown too yet ridership isn't exactly increasing, who would want to go bankrupt for that? https://www.itsmarta.com/KPIRidership.aspx

I think there's a high speed rail idea between some states but it obviously hinges on money and ridership.

I'm often sad about this things. I'm convincing myself that, besides a spike in car wrecks, that cycling and public transit actually increases my lifespan just for a significant drop in travel stress. Trains can always depend on me though! It'd be great if we could fast-track it, but maybe it's something my grandkids would enjoy without thinking about it.
To the bolded, it's because MARTA keeps cutting bus service. Take a look at what's on deck for the August service changes. They're cutting back service in lots of places to 30 minute headways or greater. People aren't going to use transit when if they miss a connection, they're stuck for half an hour. MARTA needs robust inner-city bus routes, something they can't seem to grasp.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:54 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
I grew up next to these tracks.
This is a private railroad company building this on a rail line they already own. Florida East Coast is a Class 2 railroad that has capacity on it's line along Florida's East Coast. They are building the higher speed railroad to connect major tourist areas and using TODs to offset the capital costs.
Tri-Rail already supplies commuter service between WPB and Miami Airport Station which is Miami's intermodal station with connections to Amtrak, Miami Int'l Airport via MIA Mover, and Metrorail. It is much slower and has more stops.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
To the bolded, it's because MARTA keeps cutting bus service. Take a look at what's on deck for the August service changes. They're cutting back service in lots of places to 30 minute headways or greater. People aren't going to use transit when if they miss a connection, they're stuck for half an hour. MARTA needs robust inner-city bus routes, something they can't seem to grasp.
We almost need something like DC Circulator or LA's DASH.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:01 AM

13,115 posts, read 9,199,435 times
Why can't we get America back on track?

The problem is government, and its burden on private enterprise, which cannot operate profitably under current conditions. The solution is not to give public funding to rail mass transit - but to stop taking from it. Give a zero tax liability to any company (and its employees) that is 100% involved in building, manufacturing, operating or maintaining electric traction rail. Tax exempt investment will flood into rail transportation. Without government funds, meddling and delays, companies will rush into providing service because the only way they will make money is to move cargo and passengers profitably. And if they fail, only their investors will suffer - not the taxpayer.

But that will never happen, because government is loathe to give up power once acquired. And government mismanagement of the infrastructure is never punished, nor are the guilty held accountable.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:05 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,547,624 times
what cq said plus it connects....

Miami- 5.5 million people
Ft Lauderdale- 5.7 people
Orlando- 2.4 million people plus the tourists

all in 270 miles of existing rail which is basically the same as Atlanta to Charlotte.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
what cq said plus it connects....

Miami- 5.5 million people
Ft Lauderdale- 5.7 people
Orlando- 2.4 million people plus the tourists

all in 270 miles of existing rail which is basically the same as Atlanta to Charlotte.
Miami, Ft Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach are part of the same MSA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_metropolitan_area

Old 06-08-2018, 10:31 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,547,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Miami, Ft Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach are part of the same MSA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_metropolitan_area
You are correct. I needed more coffee.

Still they are able to connect a lot of people with an existing track. That's tough for Atlanta. Atlanta to Washington with stops in Charlotte and Raleigh would be nice....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or