U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:46 AM

4 posts, read 2,574 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

My husband and I are relocating to Atlanta for His Work.
We currently reside in Florida.
He will be working in Norcross, and I will be working from home. No kids or plans of kids so school district is not of concern.

We have traveled to ATL and checked out some areas, I prefer South ATL as I see you get more house for your money..but it would kill hubby in commute time. 9-5 job

We have checked out Decatur 30032 and 30034 big price differences as I think 30032 is "hot" right now.

We would live to find a unattached single family for less that 210,000.

Any other ideas if cities to look into? We would live proximity to city or "hip" areas while keeping his commute under 30 mins in NO traffic to allow for inflation due to traffic.

And are those areas in Decatur ok? Safe? There are may homes within our budget there, but want to live somwhere safe.

P.s we didn't like Norcross as it didn't really have downtown? And far from the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 07:30 AM

1,181 posts, read 1,766,416 times
You should live near where you work. You can come to the city on the weekends, rather than suffer in traffic all week.

Have you looked at Peachtree Corners? They're working on building a massive downtown that's close to Norcross.

https://www.peachtreecornersga.gov/H...378#ad-image-5

Old 06-19-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
You should live near where you work. You can come to the city on the weekends, rather than suffer in traffic all week.

Have you looked at Peachtree Corners? They're working on building a massive downtown that's close to Norcross.

https://www.peachtreecornersga.gov/H...378#ad-image-5
That looks amazing, we understand that traffic is horrible, but it's also difficult finding a home in our budget in some of the closest cities to and including norcross.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:19 AM

892 posts, read 438,955 times
Have you checked out Doraville, Chamblee, Clarkston, or Tucker? Quite a few of my co-workers lived in those cities when I worked in Norcross.

Last edited by Atlanta Scientist; 06-19-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 AM

29,352 posts, read 26,300,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadelivelove View Post
That looks amazing, we understand that traffic is horrible, but it's also difficult finding a home in our budget in some of the closest cities to and including norcross.
There's an awful lot of hyperventilating that goes on about traffic in the ATL, but the typical person has a commute of about 30 minutes. In many of the areas around Norcross people cut it down below that. As long as you stay reasonably close you should be fine.

Moderator cut: Link removed, competitor site
I'd look for areas that have the amenities you need -- shopping, schools, parks, churches, entertainment, etc.

Last edited by CavalierKing; 06-20-2018 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 AM
VJP

657 posts, read 1,446,772 times
With a budget like that in 30032 you will have to explain what your definition of safe is? I lived in 30032 for 8 years and had to take precautions such as: pulling blinds to avoid any passers by from peering in windows (I didn't mind because my wife says I am a vampire anyway), locking up all equipment and doors at all times regardless of reason or duration, have packages delivered to work, set lights on proper timers when away, put cars in garage, trim back hedges around the house, add bright lighting around the house as a deterrent.

A lot of these things will improve over time. This was in the neighborhoods around 2nd and glenwood from 2007-2015.

That said, wife and I were childless during this time and the 5-10 minute drive to oakhurst, decatur, EAV, kirkwood, O4W we all HUGE plusses for us. I would be careful with the commute though - I drove from there to norcross the entire time and my ride was 40min-1hour and since then it's only gotten worse.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:47 AM

5,075 posts, read 3,299,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadelivelove View Post
P.s we didn't like Norcross as it didn't really have downtown? And far from the city
Norcross does have a downtown, although it isn't that big or exciting.

Downtown Peachtree Street
Downtown Jones Street
Downtown College Street and Lillian Webb Park

There are a few houses within a mile or two or downtown Norcross for sale right now. I have literally no idea about the safety of this area or how nice it is outside of that.

https://www.redfin.com/GA/Norcross/5.../home/25090817
https://www.redfin.com/GA/Norcross/5.../home/25098787
https://www.redfin.com/GA/Norcross/2.../home/24996755

I used to commute to Norcross (southern side of it) from Northwest Atlanta (Bolton/Upper Westside area). In non-peak times, it would take me about 25 minutes (21.5 miles). Worst morning rush hour was about 40 minutes, and worst afternoon rush hour was about 1:10. So, you can spread your wings a little bit, but I would highly recommend trying to stay in the NE quadrant of town. It really isn't that far from the city.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:45 PM

445 posts, read 158,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
They are buying so what if she or her husband ends up getting a job Marrieta or Midtown? What if she wants to be walkable to bars?

OP, live where you want that matches your lifestyle and not just where your job is because you never know where you job might be in the future and now you are stuck where you don't want to be. That being said, you should be able to find plenty in your range in Gwinnett (Norcross, Lilburn etc) or East Dekalb ( Tucker, Stone Mountain etc).

Old 06-19-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
With a budget like that in 30032 you will have to explain what your definition of safe is? I lived in 30032 for 8 years and had to take precautions such as: pulling blinds to avoid any passers by from peering in windows (I didn't mind because my wife says I am a vampire anyway), locking up all equipment and doors at all times regardless of reason or duration, have packages delivered to work, set lights on proper timers when away, put cars in garage, trim back hedges around the house, add bright lighting around the house as a deterrent.

A lot of these things will improve over time. This was in the neighborhoods around 2nd and glenwood from That said, wife and I were childless during this time and the 5-10 minute drive to oakhurst, decatur, EAV, kirkwood, O4W we all HUGE plusses for us. I would be careful with the commute though - I drove from there to norcross the entire time and my ride was 40min-1hour and since then it's only gotten worse.

Thanks for your input! Yeah that's the kind of info I was looking for, it seems in the Belvedere Park area there a lot of renovations being done, pointing to more happening in the future and the prices seem reasonable but high per sq foot.
With a budget like that. Well a budget is a budget, that's why I'm asking for info to make changes where needed.

I can see how the commute time may still be high, but for us to the proximity to certain areas is a plus.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
They are buying so what if she or her husband ends up getting a job Marrieta or Midtown? What if she wants to be walkable to bars?

OP, live where you want that matches your lifestyle and not just where your job is because you never know where you job might be in the future and now you are stuck where you don't want to be. That being said, you should be able to find plenty in your range in Gwinnett (Norcross, Lilburn etc) or East Dekalb ( Tucker, Stone Mountain etc).
Thanks! We feel the same, although tmy husband is working for a "life time" kinda company...nothing is set in stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or