U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-21-2019, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, and Raleigh
2,414 posts, read 1,539,048 times
Reputation: 1459

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Sad state of affairs when rural voters are so excited to "stick it to the liberals" they care which authority is behind running their airport. Like, get a hobby people.
Those individuals hobby is making sure Georgia stays in GOP control. If you haven't realized that then you are clearly not paying attention. The clear across the entire South and not just in so-called "New South" states of GA, FL, NC, and VA, but other neighboring Southern states as well. The only Southern states that are not dealing with this battle is MS, WV, and AR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 AM
 
1,361 posts, read 715,505 times
Reputation: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Those individuals hobby is making sure Georgia stays in GOP control. If you haven't realized that then you are clearly not paying attention. The clear across the entire South and not just in so-called "New South" states of GA, FL, NC, and VA, but other neighboring Southern states as well. The only Southern states that are not dealing with this battle is MS, WV, and AR.
Yes but it's an airport. There's no political power there. It's bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 11:09 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
5,209 posts, read 3,672,461 times
Reputation: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Yes but it's an airport. There's no political power there. It's bizarre.
It's about contract money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 10:33 AM
 
5,993 posts, read 5,294,347 times
Reputation: 3996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Which is why it has virtually zero chance of happening. This legislation is designed to get juicy airport contracts directed away from black Democrats and towards white Republicans.

Hope the state has a few billion in cash on hand to pay the CoA for the facilities (or were they just going to seize it?).
I think that they pretty much plan on just seizing the airport from the CoA without paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 10:40 AM
 
28,781 posts, read 25,596,079 times
Reputation: 9979
The huge airport concessions business has hardly been a model of fairness and transparency. My question is whether the state of Georgia would do any better than the city of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,004 posts, read 17,003,801 times
Reputation: 5222
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The huge airport concessions business has hardly been a model of fairness and transparency. My question is whether the state of Georgia would do any better than the city of Atlanta.
Of course not, the only difference being the contracts would go to Republican campaign donors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 12:49 PM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
5,209 posts, read 3,672,461 times
Reputation: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I think that they pretty much plan on just seizing the airport from the CoA without paying for it.
Hope the state plans on spending the next decade in court then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Just outside of McDonough, Georgia
1,053 posts, read 830,235 times
Reputation: 1286
While I'm still opposed to this endless airport takeover crusade, the interesting thing about this year's version of the legislation, SB 131, is that while it does create the authority, language facilitating the takeover of Hartsfield-Jackson is not present. In that sense it is more "restrained" than last year's version, SB 379, which would have automatically transferred KATL upon the bill's effective date (at least under state law).

If I had to entertain a theory as to why this change was made, it's possible that the bill was intentionally written this way to act as a sort of "olive branch" to Atlanta. By leaving out the takeover language from last year's version, the state senators involved in this stunt could say that they are acting "in good faith" with Atlanta to "negotiate" a change in control of Hartsfield-Jackson, possibly with some sort of compromise (maybe Atlanta keeps the airport but the Authority gets a say in the airport's budgeting and procurement process?)

That way, currently-noncommittal Gov. Kemp (who's seemingly trying to cultivate an image of cooperation with Keisha Lance-Bottoms) would feel more comfortable signing this into law without sparking a legal backlash and endless lawsuits from Delta and the CoA.

It'll be interesting to follow this legislation as it winds through the General Assembly. There are still huge issues with, to take an example, the composition of the new authority (huge potential for cronyism and nepotism there!)

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 05:44 PM
 
5,993 posts, read 5,294,347 times
Reputation: 3996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Hope the state plans on spending the next decade in court then.
With the appointment of two deeply conservative justices to the Supreme Court (and with the potential for more conservative appointments, particularly if Donald Trump gets elected to a second term as President), I think that the conservative backers of this state airport takeover effort probably might like their chances in court at this point in time.

The conservative backers of this state airport takeover effort also might be encouraged because of what they see as favorable control of the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) under a Republican presidential administration that they figure might be more likely to be more amenable to and/or potentially approve a takeover of the ATL Airport by Georgia state government... That is unlike the FAA during the Obama Administration which seemingly always sided with municipal governments during disputes over state airport takeover attempts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
While I'm still opposed to this endless airport takeover crusade, the interesting thing about this year's version of the legislation, SB 131, is that while it does create the authority, language facilitating the takeover of Hartsfield-Jackson is not present. In that sense it is more "restrained" than last year's version, SB 379, which would have automatically transferred KATL upon the bill's effective date (at least under state law).

If I had to entertain a theory as to why this change was made, it's possible that the bill was intentionally written this way to act as a sort of "olive branch" to Atlanta. By leaving out the takeover language from last year's version, the state senators involved in this stunt could say that they are acting "in good faith" with Atlanta to "negotiate" a change in control of Hartsfield-Jackson, possibly with some sort of compromise (maybe Atlanta keeps the airport but the Authority gets a say in the airport's budgeting and procurement process?)

That way, currently-noncommittal Gov. Kemp (who's seemingly trying to cultivate an image of cooperation with Keisha Lance-Bottoms) would feel more comfortable signing this into law without sparking a legal backlash and endless lawsuits from Delta and the CoA.

It'll be interesting to follow this legislation as it winds through the General Assembly. There are still huge issues with, to take an example, the composition of the new authority (huge potential for cronyism and nepotism there!)

- skbl17
Your comments raise a very important point: That the senators pushing a state takeover of the Atlanta Airport seem to be taking an approach of going on an extended public relations and media campaign to apply continued public pressure to both Delta Airlines and the Atlanta city government to eventually cooperate and support the effort to have the Atlanta Airport placed under state control.

Their approach seems to be to wage a high-profile PR campaign that makes it look like their approach is the most reasonable and logical approach in a state where a majority of voters and residents may be likely to back a state effort to takeover the ATL Airport on the grounds that both Delta Airlines and (especially) the Atlanta city government have an unfair monopoly on air travel.

Their approach of going on an extended PR and media campaign to persuade a Georgia public to support a state takeover of the ATL Airport (that, with the exception of residents inside of the corporate limits of Atlanta proper, likely is amenable and persuadable to the argument of switching control of the ATL Airport from an Atlanta city government that is controlled by urban Democrats and progressives to a Georgia state government that is controlled by suburban, exurban and rural Republicans and conservatives) along with the apparent support of such a large portion of the Republican-dominated Georgia state Senate, and an often-aggressively partisan Republican presidential administration (in the Trump Administration) are some of the reasons why I think that this latest state attempt to take control of the Airport away from the City of Atlanta potentially might be more sustained (and potentially more successful) than past attempts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
4,093 posts, read 3,447,388 times
Reputation: 3875
If this would happen, which it never will. Delta would surely move its Corporate headquarters out of Georgia. Furthermore the FAA shut down a similar case that would be exactly on point with Charlotte Douglas and the State of North Carolina attempted takeover. The Courts must and would have to follow precedent of previous case law rulings and the desire of the FAA which is an administrative agency that have greater authority over any State government and rural hillbillies; when it comes to federal regulated airspace.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 02-22-2019 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top