Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Airport revenue does not include sales tax revenue generated in on-site shops and restaurants.
Thus proving me right. There's a lot of money for the state (and/or its officers in their personal capacities) to get its/their hands on via revenue generated at the airport.

If you think the state government doesn't spend all day thinking up ways to find new cookie jars to get their hands into you're fooling yourself.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:12 PM

296 posts, read 220,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is definitely not true, otherwise there wouldn't be lawsuits like this one, in which Clayton County and the City of College Park are fighting over who gets the tax revenue from alcohol sales in the airport. If the money had to go back into the airport, there'd be nothing to litigate: https://www.law.com/dailyreportonlin...layton-county/
Hmm... Looks like I overstated the limitations. There are a lot of particularities to the FAA rule, but my general point is still true: the state taking over the airport would not take a revenue source away from the city.

My principle mistake was in suggesting all taxes generated at the airport must used at the airport. That is not correct. Revenue generated by the airport itself--I'm pretty sure that means user fees, rent, etc.--must be used at the airport. Revenue from any state or local taxes on jet fuel must be used at the airport unless they meet certain exemptions (most common one is that the tax was in place on 12/31/89).

Sales taxes on things like food and beverages sold at the airport, I'm not sure about. I'm reasonably confident though that the state taking control of the airport would not actually change that situation anyway. Local or state sales taxes would still go to the relevant entity.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 PM
JPD

So, if nothing changes in terms of revenue collection, what is the reason why Cagle and/or the state wants to take control of the airport?

Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
So, if nothing changes in terms of revenue collection, what is the reason why Cagle and/or the state wants to take control of the airport?
Politics/control over airport contracts/red meat to voters that want to stick it to the City of Atlanta.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:45 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Politics/control over airport contracts/red meat to voters that want to stick it to the City of Atlanta.
Almost half the words in that sentence are thinly-veiled synonyms of money, which is my whole point.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:55 PM

296 posts, read 220,280 times
Quote:
Almost half the words in that sentence are thinly-veiled synonyms of money, which is my whole point.
It feels like you've moved the goalposts here. Nothing would change wrt money the state or city has to spend outside the airport. The people who have opportunities to commit graft and/or fraud might change. You initially seemed to be talking about the former. Now you seem to be talking about the latter and are portraying what we're saying about the former as a comment about the latter.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:22 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
It feels like you've moved the goalposts here. Nothing would change wrt money the state or city has to spend outside the airport. The people who have opportunities to commit graft and/or fraud might change. You initially seemed to be talking about the former. Now you seem to be talking about the latter and are portraying what we're saying about the former as a comment about the latter.
Like you, I probably stated my initial post inaccurately to the real point I was making. There are lots of ways the state and its officers will profit, as a government entity and as individuals, by taking over the airport. And with this comes a commensurate reduction in the amount of money staying within the city/county. Whether the source of the revenue is taxes or not isn't really all that important. The state is hoping to use a city amenity to enrich itself at the expense of the city, and then use that enrichment to increase its influence over the city.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
This can’t be legal. Maybe they can create an agency that looks over the airport, but they can’t take over city owned property.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I found this language in the resolution introducing the Senate Bill to create the committee very interesting:

"WHEREAS, in the interest of pubic welfare, national security, and economic stability, the transfer of operations of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to an authority might best serve and protect the citizens of the State of Georgia"

"Public welfare," "national security," and "economic stability"??? Huh????

Also, no Atlanta congress member is on the committee:

Chairman: Burt Jones;
Brandon Beach (R-Alpharetta);
Gloria Butler (D-Stone Mountain);
Mike Dugan (R-Carrollton);
Ed Harbison (D-Columbus);
Tyler Harper (R-Ocilla);
Steve Gooch (R-Dahlonega);
John Kennedy (R-Macon);
David Lucas (D-Macon);
Butch Miller (R-Gainesville);
Jeff Mullis (R-Chicamauga);
Valencia Seay (D-Riversdale);
Freddie Powell-Sims (D-Dawson).
5 Democrats on the committee. No Democrats should be on this committee.

There should be unity among Democrats on the issue of Atlanta controlling the airport just on GP.

Just more proof that the Democrats are out of step with their constituency. And just like in 2016 the Dems will likely sandbag themselves AGAIN in 2018 and 2020.

What a loser party.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
I don’t think the state should take over the airport, but someone from the state should probably look at the contract processes more closely. Perhaps GBI?
As if the contracting process at GDOT, the Georgia Ports Authority, or any of the other major state offices are any better?

The only problem I see is that the Democrats are simply wimps...who collectively don't have the intelligence and/or the political guile to take back the narrative.

And the local corporate media for whatever reason...never takes a strong look at how the state operates their contracts processes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta