Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:57 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Interesting.

You don't think O4W cherishes the bucolic nature of its single-family residential streets?

And/or, are you saying that the sole reason those neighborhoods are preserving the single-family homes is due to advocacy--otherwise it/they should be high-rised?
Look at the pictures of the site in this thread. This tower is right in the middle of a bunch of the standard 5+1 apartment blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:02 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The immediate area around the proposed tower is not comparable.
I just saw your additional statement.

I can understand that--if it truly is only the immediate area. However, it seems to me that other/some posters on this thread are saying that the trend in O4W is to bulldoze willy-nilly the single-family streets without a sense of bucolic, Atlanta-essence preservation that we see in other pristine, urban neighborhoods.

If it is peripheral high-rising--I say, hell-to-the-yes. It would be great to have the juxtaposition in O4W that we see in Midtown, Ansley Park, Home Park, Loring Heights, and all the neighborhoods in the Peachtree Road Corridor.

However, if due to O4W's "hotness" we lose the character of its single-family streets to accommodate all of the high interest--well then, that's a major concern.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:08 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Look at the pictures of the site in this thread. This tower is right in the middle of a bunch of the standard 5+1 apartment blocks.
True. I am not necessarily advocating one way or the other. However, if we are to keep the Atlanta tradition of bucolic residential neighborhoods next to hyper-urban districts/corridors, I would hope the "O4W fervor" does not cause further high-rising about a block away (based on photo).

Also, there is the risk of slippery-slope--we did this, let's see if we can do more.

Keep in mind, I hope that O4W is able to do both: high-rise and urbanize, while also preserving the bucolic nature of several key residential streets.

"both-and, not either-or"

Old 07-13-2018, 12:25 PM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Interesting.

You don't think O4W cherishes the bucolic nature of its single-family residential streets?

And/or, are you saying that the sole reason those neighborhoods are preserving the single-family homes is due to advocacy--otherwise it/they should be high-rised?
I do, at least the parts that have remained relatively intact. But much of O4W's residential area has been encroached upon by crummy apartment and industrial buildings starting about 60 years ago. That is not the case in most of the neighborhoods that you cite.
Besides, what SFH neighborhoods is the building in question compromising? It looks like it is surrounded by other midrise multifamily development whose main complaint is that it is taller than the other buildings in the area...at this moment in time. The point has been made that there is a lot of development comparable to this already on the boards in the same area. Zoningwise, the writing's on the wall. And how have SFH areas like Ansley Park, Ardmore Park, Brookwood Hills and Loring Heights managed to co-exist with the highrises lining Peachtree and Piedmont that edge their neighborhoods? Is O4W somehow different?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hi...!4d-84.3651694

Old 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
OK, y'all. Then,

Why don't we start building highrises in/within the Midtown Garden District? Ansley Park? (such a prime location) Virginia-Highland? Sherwood Forest? Piedmont Heights? Home Park? Loring Heights? Brookwood Hills? Ardmore? Summerhill? Peachtree Hills? Peachtree Park?

All the aforementioned neighborhoods above--
1. Border the Beltline, a MARTA line, a transit line, or a proposed transit line.
2. Border (or are very close to) a highrise district or prime urban-city neighborhood.
3. Cherish the bucolic nature of their single-family residential streets.

Go...
Are those areas zoned for that kind of building? No, but this brownfield is.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:49 PM

184 posts, read 205,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
There always has to be a "first". The first 17 story building will look weird in O4W until it's joined by a 20 story building. And those two will look a little odd until three more 15-20 story buildings show up. Twenty years later people will tell the story of when people thought a 17 story building in O4W was "out of place" as they look around on the neighborhood from the 35th floor of their apartment building.

Someone HAS to be the first to break the size barrier in a neighborhood, take the heat for it, then open it up for others to follow suit. That's how we build density. Look at where O4W is located, what amenities it has, and how popular it has become. Anyone trying to fight to keep it a "suburban single family home" neighborhood is fighting a losing battle. Which other neighborhood demolished a suburban style Kroger to rebuild it vertically?? This isn't heading towards looking like a subdivision in Alpharetta, and if that's what you want you should probably look elsewhere.

I would honestly argue, that a large part of the reason O4W is so popular is because it has single family homes and tree line streets so close to urban density. That's unique, its pretty rare to find that in other major cities. If you get rid of that uniqueness does O4W stay as popular? Its cool to walk into your backyard and have views of downtown and Midtown, if those SFHs aren't bought out and demolished the property values will continue to sky rocket into the millions, check out the "cray real estate market" thread.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
I would honestly argue, that a large part of the reason O4W is so popular is because it has single family homes and tree line streets so close to urban density. That's unique, its pretty rare to find that in other major cities. If you get rid of that uniqueness does O4W stay as popular? Its cool to walk into your backyard and have views of downtown and Midtown, if those SFHs aren't bought out and demolished the property values will continue to sky rocket into the millions, check out the "cray real estate market" thread.
This tower is not being built in O4W SFH section, but rather near the ex-brownfield Historic Fourth Ward Park, which is surrounded by multistory apartments.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This tower is not being built in O4W SFH section, but rather near the ex-brownfield Historic Fourth Ward Park, which is surrounded by multistory apartments.

But what I'm saying is, its only a matter of time before they come for the SFHs.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
But what I'm saying is, its only a matter of time before they come for the SFHs.
This part of O4W is zoned for density
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a_l...GYFw7Rnve/view

Old 07-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This part of O4W is zoned for density
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a_l...GYFw7Rnve/view

I don't have a problem with building densely in places that are industrial or zoned for density, but if there is one thing I have learned the last couple years of my adult life, it is that rules are made by someone, and if you talk to the right people(the ones making the rules) rules can be rewritten very quickly. Maybe developers bribe the people making the rules to where more and more of O4W is rezoned for "density" IDK, money talks though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta