Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:46 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It's in the general area surrounding the park. All these developments are
So, then is something on the north end of Central Park in NYC just "one block away" from something on the south end because they surround the same park? No.

Quote:
Cause you not listening I directly , respond to this point
I responded exactly to that point... I fear it is not me who is not listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
I don't have a problem with building densely in places that are industrial or zoned for density, but if there is one thing I have learned the last couple years of my adult life, it is that rules are made by someone, and if you talk to the right people(the ones making the rules) rules can be rewritten very quickly. Maybe developers bribe the people making the rules to where more and more of O4W is rezoned for "density" IDK, money talks though.
If such a thing were true, then Buckhead, Ansley Park, and Midtown's lowrise residential areas would have been obliterated long ago.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:59 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So, then is something on the north end of Central Park in NYC just "one block away" from something on the south end because they surround the same park? No.
You're comparing Central Park to O4W Park? That's quite a stretch.
Central Park is 843 acres.
O4W Park is 17.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:14 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
The size of O4W park is no where remotely the size NYC central park, samiwas1 come now, Your reaching hard trying ignore the central point that these developments in a close general area.

You have Pouce city Market, with it's expansion

http://www.h4wpc.org/wp-content/uplo...heater_pan.jpg

https://inception-app-prod.s3.amazon...xpansion.0.jpg

Then you have the Ralph-McGill development

https://atlantaintownpaper.com/wp-co...ll-768x401.jpg

Then you have this project tower plan at 600 block of Angier Avenue
Quote:
No you didn't, You ignore a post a few page back in which I directly addressed the point you was making, You ignore that one but rather you respond to me responding to Bu2. Then you said replying to me you said "Most 12-story buildings would be a little more than half the height of this boondoggle (I'm crossing threads now)" Which ironic... because I addressed that in the post you ignore.

Now... the post you replying from me, the post I replying to you right now, you delete the majority of that post, in which I addressed your point again. just to back a comback, so you still haven't actually replied to my point

Okay adress this directly again

You said..... "Most 12-story buildings would be a little more than half the height of this boondoggle (I'm crossing threads now)"

I'm saying.... These towers don't have be the same height to balance the taller tower, Generally in a Skyline building are different heights.

The picture you made is misleading cause it showed a 21 tower, surrounded by 5 story apartments. So your picture goes A to C. It completely leaves B the mid height buildings planed for the area that would balance it out.

So again In your picture here, it just the 21 story tower and 5 story apartments... You left out 12 story buildings being planed. Even if they was just half the height it would create a balance that 21 story would not seem out of place. Which is show case in the Austin example below.

So again Example Austin. The tallest is at least 40% taller than any other building but there enough mid height building to balance it out. What happen in O4W is this on a smaller scale.
So you go from low, to middle, to tallest. That's what happening here.

https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...ob-greebon.jpg

Yes if the 21 tower was by itself that would look out of place with just 5 story building, but that not the case here. The general area is gaining several highrises. You have look at the larger picture. Not just this tower alone.

Last edited by chiatldal; 07-14-2018 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-14-2018, 01:36 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Keeping in line with the TOS, please don't make posts personal. Debate the issues but not each other. Also, please keep posts on Atlanta and not other cities. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I do, at least the parts that have remained relatively intact. But much of O4W's residential area has been encroached upon by crummy apartment and industrial buildings starting about 60 years ago. That is not the case in most of the neighborhoods that you cite.
Besides, what SFH neighborhoods is the building in question compromising? It looks like it is surrounded by other midrise multifamily development whose main complaint is that it is taller than the other buildings in the area...at this moment in time. The point has been made that there is a lot of development comparable to this already on the boards in the same area. Zoningwise, the writing's on the wall. And how have SFH areas like Ansley Park, Ardmore Park, Brookwood Hills and Loring Heights managed to co-exist with the highrises lining Peachtree and Piedmont that edge their neighborhoods? Is O4W somehow different?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hi...!4d-84.3651694
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Are those areas zoned for that kind of building? No, but this brownfield is.
Quote:
I would honestly argue, that a large part of the reason O4W is so popular is because it has single family homes and tree line streets so close to urban density. That's unique, its pretty rare to find that in other major cities. If you get rid of that uniqueness does O4W stay as popular? Its cool to walk into your backyard and have views of downtown and Midtown, if those SFHs aren't bought out and demolished the property values will continue to sky rocket into the millions, check out the "cray real estate market" thread.
Quote:
This tower is not being built in O4W SFH section, but rather near the ex-brownfield Historic Fourth Ward Park, which is surrounded by multistory apartments.
Quote:
But what I'm saying is, its only a matter of time before they come for the SFHs.
Quote:
This part of O4W is zoned for density
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a_l...GYFw7Rnve/view
Quote:
I don't have a problem with building densely in places that are industrial or zoned for density, but if there is one thing I have learned the last couple years of my adult life, it is that rules are made by someone, and if you talk to the right people(the ones making the rules) rules can be rewritten very quickly. Maybe developers bribe the people making the rules to where more and more of O4W is rezoned for "density" IDK, money talks though.
Quote:
Rezones go before NPUs and ZRB, the public has opportunities to speak out against it.
Quote:
Sure, if they are aware of whats going on, most people are busy and could easily not pay attention to it.
Quote:
It's not Ponce Market it just a block away, Addition there are several other developments at least 12 stores being plan in that area.
Quote:
There are numerous examples of buildings that tower over their neighbors, anyway.

Empire State Building, NYC
US Bank Tower, Los Angeles
Transamerica Tower, San Francisco
John Hancock Tower, Boston
The Shard, London

Where is the Hue and Cry there?
Quote:

Quote:
If such a thing were true, then Buckhead, Ansley Park, and Midtown's lowrise residential areas would have been obliterated long ago.

Well, then...if the proposed high-rise is not really encroaching on bucolic, single-family streets (as implied in some of the earlier posts in this thread), then I guess it must be ok.

I think I just need to go down there and take a look for myself. I have not been in that neck of the woods in a while.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
That's when an organized Residents' Association comes in handy. Nothing gets by ours, and we're always notified of upcoming hearings if we're on the distribution list.
Yes. And I hope O4W's is strong.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
That's when an organized Residents' Association comes in handy. Nothing gets by ours, and we're always notified of upcoming hearings if we're on the distribution list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes. And I hope O4W's is strong.

Why in the hell is Old Fourth Ward divided between four different neighborhood associations--instead of just forming one association that is cohesive and strong???

21 story tower proposed for Old Fourth Ward-old-fourth-ward-neighborhood-association-map

Fourth Ward Neighbors: Fourth Ward Neighbors | Official site for the FWN in Atlanta, Georgia

Fourth Ward West: https://www.facebook.com/FourthWardWest

Fourth Ward Alliance: https://www.facebook.com/fourthwardalliance

4th and S.A.N.D.: https://www.facebook.com/pages/4th-SAND/364176997698

Old 07-14-2018, 10:06 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
You're comparing Central Park to O4W Park? That's quite a stretch.
Central Park is 843 acres.
O4W Park is 17.
Quote:
The size of O4W park is no where remotely the size NYC central park, samiwas1 come now, Your reaching hard trying ignore the central point that these developments in a close general area.
Man...humor is not present here.

Quote:
No you didn't, You ignore a post a few page back in which I directly addressed the point you was making, You ignore that one but rather you respond to me responding to Bu2. Then you said replying to me you said "Most 12-story buildings would be a little more than half the height of this boondoggle (I'm crossing threads now)" Which ironic... because I addressed that in the post you ignore.

Now... the post you replying from me, the post I replying to you right now, you delete the majority of that post, in which I addressed your point again. just to back a comback, so you still haven't actually replied to my point
Holy hell. I am way too drunk to have any clue what this is saying/asking. (and jsvh...I took lyft...don't worry)

Old 07-14-2018, 11:13 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Man...humor is not present here.

Holy hell. I am way too drunk to have any clue what this is saying/asking. (and jsvh...I took lyft...don't worry)
You made a statement so I responded, You ignore that post. Later I replied to Bu, you then replied to me replying to blu but you end up repeating something I already replied because you ignore that original post. anyways don't worry about that

All I'm saying in short is the mid towers don't have to be as tall as the 21 story, The fact that several towers are being plan at least half the size balance out height of the tallest towers.

Anyways be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta