Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,909 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am going thru Atlanta(South) on April 4 around 2 -3pm but possibly as late as 4pm.
I am aware of the radio staion(am 750) for traffic.

Based on the three ways to get through Atlanta
1. straight thru 75
2. I-285 west
3. I-285 East
Which is the quickest?

I have read the post commenting on all three routes.

I am contemplating on going straight thru downtown on I-75.
Anything I should look out for or take 285 west

My driving experince is dealing with Chicago traffic.
Any info would be helpful

sf5m

Last edited by sf5m; 03-30-2008 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: giving direction thru Atlanta and giving another time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
April 4th is a Friday. That is never good a time ever. However, this one will be worse because that Friday begins public school spring break for almost every major school system in Metro Atlanta. I would advise trying your best (if at all possible) to hit Atlanta as early as possible that Friday. On a normal Friday, rush hour is in full swing by 2 PM.

Going through town is never good, but I can't advise which direction to go on I-285.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Unfortunately, any way you go on that day will be a nightmare. Everyone and their brother will be heading south to Florida for spring break. If at all possible, I would try to go through before noon or one o'clock, but still expect it to be heavy.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Listen to lastminutemom. Either try to hit the metro way before you plan to, or just park it, spend the night and enjoy all we have to offer!

You will feel very much at home in our traffic - we just have more lanes than you're used to in chitown!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:53 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Geez guys- it's not gonna be that bad......

He hasn't even said whether he's heading north or south, with south likely being slightly worse at that time of the afternoon. And while Spring Break does start on Friday, I doubt many folks will be leaving work early and jumping in the car as soon as the kids get out of school on Friday, so it's likely not as terrible as you're all making it out to be.

All of that said, you're likely to hit some traffic at that time of the day, but you'll be ahead of the major slowdowns by an hour or so at least. Just add an hour or so to your travel schedule, take 75 straight through, and you'll likely be covered well.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,909 times
Thanks so far for the info. I know I will find out for myself. But is Atlanta really worse then Chicago ? (or any large, auto dependent city)

Old 03-30-2008, 10:09 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
No, not worse but about the same - with more lanes.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:45 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Geez guys- it's not gonna be that bad......

He hasn't even said whether he's heading north or south, with south likely being slightly worse at that time of the afternoon. And while Spring Break does start on Friday, I doubt many folks will be leaving work early and jumping in the car as soon as the kids get out of school on Friday, so it's likely not as terrible as you're all making it out to be.

All of that said, you're likely to hit some traffic at that time of the day, but you'll be ahead of the major slowdowns by an hour or so at least. Just add an hour or so to your travel schedule, take 75 straight through, and you'll likely be covered well.
I have left town (going south to Florida) on many occasions on the Friday when spring break starts, and let me tell ya, it ain't pretty!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 02:04 PM

27 posts, read 148,360 times
On school holidays, heading to Florida on 85, it can be a nightmare. I have headed south on 85 leaving from the Lenox/Buckhead area on Spring Break and Thanksgiving break several times over the last few years, and it is very very bad. I would get the kids out of school at noon to "beat the traffic". HA! Average speed can be 10 to 15 miles per hour. Every time I did it I swore to myself I would never do it again. But it never failed -- the following year I would be optimistic and think..."well, maybe this year it won't be so bad."

Old 03-30-2008, 04:24 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Buckhead mom,

Your post made me laugh. I have said the same things as well.... and still make the same mistake each year.

Not this year -- we will leave on Sat. morning. Lesson (finally) learned.

It will be that bad. Frankly, normal Fridays are bad, and it almost doesn't matter which direction you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta