U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:12 AM

30 posts, read 142,026 times

Advertisements

Im a resident of Raleigh and i have to say that I like it here. Yes I know that its kinda boring but unlike ATL its a good place to raise kids. Also our population is increasing while crime in the city is decreasing which is suprising to me. One person on this forum comented that Raleigh is growing so fast that our schools cant keep up with the large amount of students. What they failed to say is that Raleigh,Durham, and Chaple Hill also know as the triangle offer students a really good education. Another plus about the city is that it has many colleges and students have a wide variety of schools to choose from. As for ATL its nice only if your visiting its downtown. The city is nicely built but there problem is there high crime. Atlana also came in 17th place for one of Americas most dangerous cities. Also if you want to move to ATL beware of there driving cause its terible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 10:56 AM

104 posts, read 483,134 times
Smile HOPE Scholarship? Flowery Branch/Sugar Hill?

Oops, I posted in the wrong place. Sorry about that! I've moved it.

Last edited by tiffani; 12-30-2006 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 PM

997 posts, read 4,240,497 times
Default Raleigh's Pros and Cons

We moved to Cary from Massachusetts. We were debating between Raleigh and Atlanta and chose the Raleigh area because it was and is still consistently ranked as one of the best areas to live in every category. Raleigh is definitely a slower pace. There really isn't a city. I do find it a little boring. They are revitalizing it though. It is a great area to raise a family. Especially Cary. Very family friendly. Minivans everywhere. Playgrounds all over and Sports Fields all over. Walking trails (the cary greenway) throughout. There is also a big Tennis Center. Sidewalks everywhere. People walk, bike and jog at all times. My kids love it here. Also cited for being one of the safest cities. Lots of neighborhoods even have schools in them. Speaking of schools though, they are also very crowded. I think the school system and county commisioners are doing a very poor job of managing growth. They just keep building and building and building. They just converted 22 elementary schools to mandatory year round and groups are suing the school system. Being from the North, schools are just completely different. I find that the teachers are not motivated and lack the proper teaching skills down here. As far as ranking go, overall the Wake County Schools score higher than the Atlanta schools. If you choose Raleigh, I would go for the Chapel Hill-Carboro School System. If Wake, then I would send my kids to Highcroft, Davis Drive, Salem, Green Hope or Brassfield Elementaries. For Middle, Davis Drive or Salem. For high schools I would stick with Green Hope or maybe Leesville. Wake does have some better schools than these but they are magnet schools on a lottery basis. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

P.S. We are thinking of moving to ATL because my husband just received an even better job in Suwanee. We would like the Alpharetta area but the commute will just be too much.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 PM

436 posts, read 518,430 times
"Ok, I hate to drop this on you.."

Yes, I understand where you're coming from. I don't know how much other people headed that way will care though - jobs & somewhat more affordable homes (in comparison to the home prices where most people move from) bring more people and more traffic.

I graduated from Roswell High School. I've traveled & lived all over the USA. I use to go fishing down Holcomb Bridge Road by a nice shady creek with few sounds of traffic - that area is paved & covered in businesses now, and very noisy (wish I had had the foresight to have bought some Alpharetta land back in the seventies/eighties). Things change. Often things change for the negative, but not always nor in all respects. The 1970's & 80's were a different north of Atlanta area for better and worse. The diversity wasn't good then - it is now, the congestion and air quality then was not a topic of discussion - it sure is now. I still have family in the region. I've been back many times. If I didn't have family there I wouldn't go back. The traffic & air quality are the killers for me.
I know someone who moved to the Raleigh, North Carolina area two years ago and he tells me that it's a similar situation there with locals really bitching about the changes. To people fed up - checkout Idaho. That's a beautiful state with decent climate, environment, and not on too many peoples radar yet.

Last edited by brian_2; 03-21-2007 at 02:22 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM

13 posts, read 40,849 times
On the personal note, I'm currently living in Raleigh, NC and I love it here. However, my husband and I are considering relocating to Atlanta because we are looking for more opportunities. I personally see Raleigh as a place where you are ready to settle down and content with what you are doing. I personally have my son enrolled in a private school. I wouldn't put my son in the public school systems here due to you won't have a clue where your child may be going to school. I'm not fond of the idea that your child does not go to the school in your district. The school system decides where your child will go. Therefore, my husband and I pay for our son to attend a private school. The area in general is nice. Raleigh has grown so much since I moved here 8.5 years ago. I just see Atlanta as a place for more opportunities for me. I wish you luck with your decision. The only thing I think I will miss from Raleigh is the golf community I will be moving from. I love where I live but the jobs are just not here. Well I should say the jobs are here but they don't want to compensate you for what you're worth.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:31 PM

13 posts, read 40,849 times
You said a mouth full on this one! My husband and I are moving to Atlanta as well because our son has another year before he starts Kindergarten. We don't want him going to public school in Raleigh. He is currently attending a private school where he could continue his education through high school. They are teaching him two grades ahead which is wonderful. However, it can be quite expensive. We made the decision to sell our home and relocate to the Atlanta area. We are hoping it will be a place for more opportunities and a nice place for our son to grow up and enjoy.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 PM

297 posts, read 1,402,935 times
OP, you mentioned that you "do not want to move to the city to avoid traffic". In Atlanta, the least amount of traffic/congestion is actually in the city (just clarify, I am not talking about inside the City of Atlanta proper but rather ITP, Inside the Perimeter). Just something to consider.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:36 PM

849 posts, read 3,197,267 times
Unhappy don't want to discourage you but

It's very unlikely that any public system will "skip" you child 2 grades because they don't go only by intellectual capacity. they will tell you he has to be "socialized" by beingwith his "appropriate peer group." They will simply insist he can't possibly be emotionally ready for the grade jump and you will have let yourself into a world of hurt. Stay with the private route no matter what the cost financially. The bottom line is that your child is showing up the public systems and they can't allow that to happen. Sorry if I've seem cynical. I've been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofieldt View Post
You said a mouth full on this one! My husband and I are moving to Atlanta as well because our son has another year before he starts Kindergarten. We don't want him going to public school in Raleigh. He is currently attending a private school where he could continue his education through high school. They are teaching him two grades ahead which is wonderful. However, it can be quite expensive. We made the decision to sell our home and relocate to the Atlanta area. We are hoping it will be a place for more opportunities and a nice place for our son to grow up and enjoy.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 AM

19 posts, read 91,091 times
Default Would I be stupid to move back to GA

Hello everyone how are you?

I was living in Lawrenceville, Ga this past summer 4/07-11/07. Things were a little little rough as far as me getting a job cause I still was attending school at the time for Medical Assistant. My husband loved the area and all but he did not like the pay and traffic sometimes.

But we are now back in NJ our hometown and we hate being back here so much the Gov. is laying off over 3,000 state workers off, I now pay 171.00 a week for Day Care for my daughter (part time) in Ga I paid 40.00 a week for her and also I have been sick all the time since I been back in NJ.

What I am getting at is my husband got his job back well getting his job back with the state and is going to be making 44,000 a year. But we are not happy here we want to move back to Lawrencevile, Ga because we did more things there, my daughter was learning more in school and the Day Care was better. Since we been back in NJ we just been miserable all the time no happy moments. We even went on long walks for exercise in GA and my husband has high BP and I took it last night it was 150/120 but there it was always down.

What I am asking is do I stay cause of the good money he is going to be making or leave back to where our family was happy?

It was just hard for me to get a job he had a job but he was doing like 5 people jobs for 12.00 an hour....

Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 AM

960 posts, read 2,247,900 times
I have lived in Raleigh and Atlanta since 2000. I will try to break this down in categories to express my opinion.

Jobs - Raleigh
I found it easier to find a respectiable job and income in relation to one's background. Furthermore, social or alumni networks can further increase the chances of one finding employment in their field with a respectiable salary. Even while my background was not wholly technical, I saw no offers below 40k. Atlanta is massive, jobs galore - HORRIBLE wages for the majority of jobs.

Residence
Atlanta - I only say this become you have more choices in regards to location, type and on some levels pricing.

Dining
I do not have a clear choice. However, I found it easier to find good, affordable dining in Raleigh vs ATL. Certainly in ATL you have more choices but you are more likely to spend a pretty penny.

Schools
I have no children. Collegiate - I'd give Raleigh the upper hand.

Retail
Atlanta, hands down. What isn't there?

Travel
Driving in both cities sucked upon initial impression. Having lived in ATL longer, I appreciate Raleigh's "traffic" :-D

Things to Do
My opinion was slightly skewed as I attend a lot of collegiate functions while in Raleigh. I never felt bored there. In ATL, there are things to do but its typically at a cost ($$$ and travel time)

Overall
I think it comes down to preference. If you want to live in a large city with country aspects - Raleigh is your place. Good proximity to Durham, Charlotte, and Richmond, VA. If you really want "BIG" city life and want a home in the 'burbs you will "love to hate" living ATL.

I actually dislike ATL on other levels but the benefits currently outweigh the complaints. Most importantly, when I decided to slow down, I can move to South Clayton life and enjoy a sweet southern life until I die ;-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or