U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 05:29 PM

9 posts, read 29,192 times

Advertisements

Can someone educate me on the differences between these counties.
I am looking to move from Boston to Atlanta area and have these two counties narrowed down based on my commute to work in Windy Hill.
Trying to do some research on tax differences etc..
Any advice is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:26 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,878,189 times
I recently moved from MA, live in Cobb, and made a distinct choice to do so rather than Fulton. I had considered Alpharetta due to the proximity to my company's office but chose Marietta several reasons. Here are some of the differences (and similarities) that I found, although if I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me.

The sales tax in Cobb is 6% and it's 7% in Fulton.

Property taxes are generally less in Cobb, although it depends where you compare, because of cities and unincorporated areas. North Fulton and Atlanta are incorporated, whereas much of Cobb is not. South Fulton is essentially the only part of Fulton that is unincorporated. Tax rates can be found online at the County assesor web sites for both counties. Cobb has a great site where you can get details on any property in the county.

Cobb is more Republican and in my opinion a pretty well run county. Fulton (as a county) is dominated by Democrats that do a less than great job of managing the county at that level, although the cities in north Fulton are much more well managed at their level. The City of Atlanta is a whole other story and in my opinion is typical with urban politics and corruption. Instead of Menino, you have Franklin. The county government in Fulton is much more aligned with Atlanta politics, and the City of Atlanta is a huge percentage of the area and population of the county.

Schools in Cobb are well run and well performing in many areas. In Fulton, the county schools (not including the City of Atlanta schools) are also run decently and perform pretty well, especially in the north part of the county.

Fulton is more urban in most areas, while Cobb is more suburban in most areas. Of course some areas of both counties are more urban or suburban that others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or