Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 01:31 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
My wife and I made the move down 2 years ago and we do not regret it one bit. We both grew up in MA (I'm from Cambridge and the wife from the Cape). We used to own a home in Hanover on the South Shore. Small, on a main double yellow line road, no garage, a small strip of grass for a yard, and the mortgage was ridiculously high for what we had. After the record breaking snow storms during the winter of '14-'15, we decided to go for it and move South.

Pros: People are a hell of a lot more outgoing and friendly. Low property prices/taxes. Little to no snow. Tons of employment opportunities. If you like to vacay, tons of spots in Florida and the gulf within driving distance.

Cons: Not gonna lie, I miss a good ol' mom and pop corner pizza joint with their greasy steak and cheese subs. If you can't tolerate the heat you'll have an issue here in the summer. Giant cockroaches.

I was recently up there a couple weeks ago for the 4th. I thought I was going to miss it, but honestly it was great coming back "home" to GA.
And who would’ve thought that a Cantabrigian would end up being a Towne Laker...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 01:37 PM

816 posts, read 994,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And who would’ve thought that a Cantabrigian would end up being a Towne Laker...!
Haha I feel like Decatur, Poncey Highlands, or little five points would have been more of a "match" to the Cambridge vibe. Towne Lake is pretty nice though

Old 07-18-2018, 01:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Get of Boston ASAP their cost of living is horrible for the quality of life. I would move to the South as soon as possible. I moved out of NYC right after graduate school for the Midwest and then later the South. Your money goes a lot longer in the Midwest and South than on the East Coast. Good luck in Atlanta.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:43 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Atlanta is nice, but beware the low cost of living is skewed. If safety is important to you, the "good areas" cost substantially more than the unsafe areas. The average prices you're seeing includes the whole metro, but there are large parts of it that have extremely high crime and poor schools.

Also beware you will likely be giving up safety nets and workers rights going from Mass to GA.
I kinda have to disagree to an extent. You can easily find a safe and affordable home for half the cost as you could in Boston.

As far as crime and education... I can't judge... I could "think" Boston has the upper hand in the education department but I haven't done any research on that so I cannot confirm.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:28 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
I guess it depends if you thinking of being in the city or if the suburbs are an option.
I moved here to Marietta from the San Francisco Bay Area after living all my life there. I've been here for 3 years now. I laugh when you complain about $500k for an old house. Double that money and you can buy a starter home ( maybe) back in Ca.
I moved here not knowing anyone. To make a long story short I do miss a few things in Ca, but the trade off for cost of living more than makes up for it.
People like to say the Ca lifestyle and weather can't be beat, but the money and wealth you can accumulate in 10 to 20 years living in a cheaper area where you are set for life beats that weather.
In Ca I can't afford a house. Here I live in a 5000 sq ft home. I have enough extra money to own nice things and travel. The short times where the weather is harsh here I can afford to leave to another place.
I have absolutely no regrets making the move even though everyone I knew in Ca thought I was crazy.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:15 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
Grew up in the Boston area and have been in Atlanta for 14 years. In terms of pure city life, I feel Boston is much better as long as you can afford it. But not many people can, and that is the main reason I moved. Atlanta has that rare combo of high-paying jobs and low housing prices.

In terms of suburbs, it’s pretty much living the same life no matter what city’s suburbs you are in. Of course, you’ll be living in a much nicer house.

I definitely miss good pizza and cannoli though!

Old 07-21-2018, 01:55 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofboston View Post
Hi Everyone -

I am absolutely sick of Boston. I've been here 13 years and it has never felt like home. I literally despise it. I am a registered Medical Assistant and my significant other is a truck driver. I think we can do better in Georgia. Barely scrapping by here. Everything is crazy expensive. We've literally just put aside the thought of buying a home. I refuse to pay 550,000-600,000 for home that's 100 years old. We'll never pay it off. I've been to Georgia and I absolutely loved it. Even the City doesn't feel like the City here. And the cost of living is so much more affordable over there. Were saving now to move in a year. Has anyone made this move? Or anyone living there now that can give me some insight?
I went to school in Boston in 1999-2000 and mistakenly thought that since it was a major city that it would have the transplants and optimism and fire under it that Atlanta, LA and NYC have from people arriving to live their dream life.

Boy was I disappointed upon arriving to see that Boston is mostly New Englanders who remain is a bad mood probably because of the windy, Canadian-influenced weather patterns along with 8 months of chilly temps per year.

I despised everything about Boston, including the antiquated layout of the streets, all the tickets from double parking for 90 seconds to do errands.

I have blocked most of that time from my memory.

The only redeeming thing for me was Cape Cod and Provincetown which are quite heavenly in the summer.

Boston residents turn their nose up at the thought of living in Atlanta, and that's fine with me.

New York City offers everything that Boston does with weather that's about 10 degrees warmer all the time.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:08 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

New York City offers everything that Boston does with weather that's about 10 degrees warmer all the time.
And New Yorkers, I found, are less snobby overall. Moreover, many, if not most, have a more favorable view of Atlanta, the South, etc.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:04 PM

654 posts, read 527,179 times
New Yorkers are simply in a hurry. Don't slow them down and they won't bother you.
Bostonians are just plain rude.
Atlantans are nice but probably not as nice as Mid Westerners.

Boston, New York, and Atlanta all have something different to offer. I personally could live in ATL or NY but never Boston.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:24 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
We moved here 8 years ago and have never regretted it. The income/expense ratio makes it really attractive. We provided private education for our kids, have no car loans and a lovely home. We don't mind the hot summers - it's no contest compared to months of gloom and snow. It's an easy drive to the coast for a holiday. My husband traveled a LOT the first few years we were here and he really appreciated the direct flights to so many international destinations out of Hartsfield Jackson. I don't think you'll regret moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta