Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadb View Post
Lithonia is not a bad area at all. If you are a good parent who stays involved in your children's schooling and social life, everything will be fine. The schools won't raise your kids for you.

I swear some of you are from Beverly Hills or Malibu.
thank you shadb i wish i could drill that in the head of the "schools are bad" whiners. stop spending all you free time trying to get away from your kids and read then a book. dont expect the schools to raise you kids,and turn them into a+ students. while you sit back n smile and say how you deserve all the credit because your just so high and mighty, and better than everyone else. i do belive we need teachers who like their jobs, and get well payed ,and lack of funding may decrease a schools success, but parent involvement does go a long way and makes up for what is missing.ive seen a+ students come from parents who couldint even read because they cared...and ive seen a+ students come from teachers who cared but the parents did not. and to all the people who say lithonia schools are bad because "blacks" moved in probably has kids with bad report cards and blames everyone except themselfs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,618 times
Default Lithonia, GA

I recently moved to Lithonia. Overall, I love it. Yes, I could list a number of complaints, but none that can't be solve with time and community involvement. If you want to make a positive difference within the community move to Lithonia.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:44 PM

826 posts, read 3,110,315 times
That is one of the funniest screen names I have ever seen.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:59 PM

45 posts, read 164,835 times
One word "Ghetto."

Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 16,730 times
This is very helpful, thanks everybody. I am looking in Lithonia because I lived in Atlanta for 4 years during elementary school (Fernbank) and am still in love with it to this day. Follow the Falcons every weekend when they play (Tony Gonazales, woohoo). I'm thinking about moving back when I graduate college next year, and this seems to be one of the more affordable areas. I say "affordable" from the context of currently residing in Boston, where $350,000 buys you a shack, circa 1900, on 2,000 square feet of land. No, seriously. That's my parents' bargain of a house that they bought in 2002.

Crime is definitely a big concern for me. It seems like race comments pop up in every forum possible... It's a shame, I don't believe that a "black" area will necessarily be a crime-ridden area, but I see the trend rather often. I actually hope to find a very diverse but safe area. I admire well-off blacks because they often have to work harder than others to get what they have. Let's not argue about this comment though, it's only been 40 years since MLK, let's not pretend discrimination has been eliminated from American society...

Are there any generalizations to be made about the different sections around Atlanta? For example, I think there may be a large Hispanic population in the northeast, according to city-data.com? And to the southwest, near Hartford, the houses seem cheaper. Are there any Asian areas? I hope to stay away from those...I'm Asian, don't ask...

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,396,842 times
I would say that the Central part of Gwinnett County includes a large Hispanic population. <Buford Hwy-Jimmy Carter Blvd--Beaver Ruin Rd--Pleasant Hill Rd--Lilburn>

The section of Buford Hwy near Doraville has many Asian businesses.

FWIW, live near work.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 16,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I would say that the Central part of Gwinnett County includes a large Hispanic population. <Buford Hwy-Jimmy Carter Blvd--Beaver Ruin Rd--Pleasant Hill Rd--Lilburn>

The section of Buford Hwy near Doraville has many Asian businesses.

FWIW, live near work.

Interesting, thanks. I definitely believe the live near work part lol

Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM

26 posts, read 72,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
I have worked in Lithonia as a Police Officer. I live in South Gwinnett, Loganville to be exact. Lithonia is high in crime. Don't let stats fool you if you search by city. The city itself is very small, but the surrounding area has a much higher population. Housing prices are good, there is a nice mall (Stonecrest), the area is growing rapidly. Now, onto everything else... crime is quite bad in Lithonia and the schools are sort of, to very, rough. Demographics aside, the area has a very high rate of rentals and also had one of, if not the highest foreclosure rate in the state. You do run into many areas that do not have much sense of civic responsibility or obligation to be mindful to neighbors. Vehicle thefts, burglaries, robberies, and drugs are all very common. Unfortunately, this happens to innocent victims more often than it does to other bad guys. If you do choose to move to Lithonia, I'll give you some places to stay away from as well as a few to look into.
Stay away from - Phillips Road, Fairington Road, Hillandale, Panola North of I-20, all of Wesley Chapel.... well... lets just say, avoid anything north of 20.
The best areas are south of I-20. Look at Browns Mill Road, Rock Chapel Road, Salem Road (In Parts), Panola South of 20, Evans Mill Road, Klondike Road. Those are definietly the best areas in Lithonia.

Please don't take this as an overly critical post in regards to that area. I do have extensive history working there, though. It's not completely terrible, there are good things as well as bad things.
lithonia isn't high in crime at all its very boring there so everyone goes to stonecrest mall. lithonia is nothing but black middle class with a bunch of kids who pretend to be thugs claiming their from zone 6 when they have never set foot on glenwood ave and wesley chaple doesnt even go through lithonia wesley chapel is located in decatur. this police officer just tryna scare you away from a good place. places in dekalb to avoid are stone mountain(my home), clarkston, decatur out side city limits(glenwood rd, candler rd, columbia, and many others but yeah lithonia is a breeze take a chance and check it out

Old 05-28-2009, 05:29 PM

371 posts, read 1,551,037 times
There is a huge church out there, been there a couple of times with friends, not my kind of church but the people are nice.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,740,120 times
Sorry to bring up a dead topic... is the area called Pleasant Hill Road a nice area? Is it a mixed racial area or does one race predominant in that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta