U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:53 AM

5 posts, read 3,539 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I are relocating to Atlanta this fall. We are planning to rent a home or townhome for the first year as we get to know the city better. We are between Ansley Park and Buckhead. My husband will be working west of midtown in the area around west side provisions. Does anyone have any advice on how they differ and what some pros and cons may be? We have an infant and a toddler. I like being able to stick the kids in the stroller and go for a walk/run errands. It's important for us to live near good restaurants and shops. I love all the shopping centers in Buckhead and fitness centers I'm used to seeing in NY. (flywheel/barrys bootcamp etc.) In Ansley i love the proximity to the Park as being close to parks in very important as well. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 05:56 AM

22,789 posts, read 34,826,617 times
First of all, understand that Ansley Park is a neighborhood, and Buckhead is a large district comprising multiple neighborhoods. It would make more sense to compare AP to a Buckhead neighborhood like Chastain Park, for example.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:59 AM

great, thanks for the advice! People just mention "Buckhead" so I appreciate you recommending a specific area!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriepatricia View Post
great, thanks for the advice! People just mention "Buckhead" so I appreciate you recommending a specific area!
https://www.buckhead.com/neighborhoods/

Old 08-01-2018, 07:00 AM

13,453 posts, read 21,929,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
This is a great link, Icon.

For the OP, when you look at the map in the link above, keep in mind that "Vinings" and "Sandy Springs ITP" are not part of Buckhead. Also, most of "Brookhaven" and "Pine Hills" are not in Buckhead (those parts of both neighborhoods are in Buckhead).

Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
My husband will be working west of midtown in the area around west side provisions. Does anyone have any advice on how they differ and what some pros and cons may be?
Quote:
In Ansley i love the proximity to the Park as being close to parks in very important as well. Thanks all!
As far as AP goes, I can't think of any. If your perception is that it's a great neighborhood, its because it is. My absolute favorite.

Quote:
We have an infant and a toddler. I like being able to stick the kids in the stroller and go for a walk/run errands. It's important for us to live near good restaurants and shops. I love all the shopping centers in Buckhead and fitness centers I'm used to seeing in NY. (flywheel/barrys bootcamp etc.)
If these attributes are important to you, I'll suggest the following Buckhead neighborhoods:

Brookwood Hills - Ansley Park's neighbor to the north. Charming, leafy little enclave just east of Peachtree, it's walkable to many shops and restaurants on Peachtree and convenient to just about everything. I have a longtime friend who raised her kids there and has absolutely loved it there. It's very social; a rolling cocktail party, as she calls it! They have their own swim club as well.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brook...58899120830583

Ardmore Park - On the other side of Peachtree from Brookwood; similar to it, but less cloistered and more of a mix of single and multifamily housing.

Collier Hills - Just north of AP. Also very charming and with a couple of lovely parks.

Haynes Manor - Very posh, and right up against Buckhead's central business district.

Peachtree Park - Another little 'enclave' that even has a pedestrian bridge to Atlanta's preeminent shopping center, Lenox Square.

And of course, Chastain Park is a great alternative to Ansley Park, with its own city park and the amphitheater.

Chastain Park Amphitheatre Atlanta - Chastain Park Amphitheatre Tickets Available from OnlineCityTickets.com

Old 08-01-2018, 09:22 AM

10,003 posts, read 9,279,788 times
Morning, carriepatricia! I lived in Ansley Park for about 25 years before trekking out to the burbs. It is a wonderful neighborhood! You are right - it is next door to Piedmont Park and the Botanical Gardens. The Ansley Golf Club is also a very nice facility - golf, tennis, pool for the kiddos. The neighborhood civic association (not an HOA) is very active - annual events include a Christmas party, Easter egg hunt, private concerts in folks' homes, fall barbeque, tour of homes/gardens, etc. Really a bunch of nice folks! The neighborhood has many pocket parks and is full of trees / woods / creek. It is very convenient to the restaurants and museums in Midtown. You really cannot go wrong, IF you can find a house to rent. Having never lived in Buckhead, I will not attempt to make a comparison. However, I loved Ansley Park - it will always be in my heart!

Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,439,128 times
I have lived neither place, BUT, my children's favorite park while visiting family in Northeast Atlanta IS in Ansley Park. It has a great playground with a tire swing (their absolute favorite). They sometimes beg to go visit their great aunt simply to go to this park! You also see lots of people with strollers (potential playmates?) Ansley Park is also located in the BEST top to bottom school district in the City of Atlanta (Morningside Elementary/ Inman Middle/ Henry Grady High) Buckhead DOES have some excellent highly sought after elementary schools, but the middle school (Sutton) and high school (North Atlanta High) while head and shoulders above many others in Atlanta Public Schools, are generally less well regarded that the Henry Grady feeder pattern. This is mostly due to many families in Buckhead often choosing private schools after elementary school. For these reasons and many more, between the two, I would choose Ansley Park!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 PM

160 posts, read 103,362 times
I live across the street from Winn Park in AP. It's the best secret park in the city, no question.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:31 PM

thank you everyone for all of the advice! My husband has pretty much made up his mind on Ansley Park as his commute will be easier than Buckhead. I do love a lot of things about the buckhead/lenox area...The malls, the restaurants and the workout facilities. Is it realistic to go to Buckhead to run errands or is it easier to stick to the midtown area? For example whole foods, gym memberships, shopping etc. Also are there things to do/good restaurants/coffee shops walking distance from Ansley? thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or