Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:57 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You don't have to be a business person, anybody can get it. Costs about $100 for 5 years and comes with TSA pre-check. TSA pre-check saves some time with a shorter line, Global Entry saves the entire line at immigration. Walk right past it to one of the kiosks where you scan your passport, answer a couple of questions on the screen, and you're done. Can't put a price on the frustration it saves.

Many of the good credit cards like AMEX Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserved will give it to you at no cost. But keep in mind it requires a background check that takes about 6 weeks, plus you have to make in in-person visit to the airport for a short interview with the Dept. of Homeland Security. So apply well before your international trip. I believe once you have it, you do not have to go through these steps again to renew.
I was going to mention this, as well. My credit card (not even a particularly "good" one) covered the cost of my Global Entry pass. So that is definitely worth looking into.

"Global Entry" is a bit of a misnomer though, as there is no global benefit. It does you no good when arriving at any other country. It only provides perks when returning to the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 03:03 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I was going to mention this, as well. My credit card (not even a particularly "good" one) covered the cost of my Global Entry pass. So that is definitely worth looking into.

"Global Entry" is a bit of a misnomer though, as there is no global benefit. It does you no good when arriving at any other country. It only provides perks when returning to the USA.

Either way, I'll have to look into this in the future. Nothing worse than being detained for questioning after a 24-hour journey.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:59 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,886 times
I flew in from Johannesburg 6 months ago, and just returned from Venice yesterday and the only complaint is the long walk. Maybe my expectations are low, but other than that it's not worst than anywhere else.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:26 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I flew in from Johannesburg 6 months ago, and just returned from Venice yesterday and the only complaint is the long walk. Maybe my expectations are low, but other than that it's not worst than anywhere else.
Do you remember if you landed in concourse E or F?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:38 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Do you remember if you landed in concourse E or F?

Concourse E both times

Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Frigging Charles de Gaulle takes the prize for worst. The French are horrible civil engineers!
The main part of CDG is a series of lovely buildings that were designed with zero thought about end users in mind.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:32 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Concourse E both times
Then your expectations are not too low.

That was one of the two major design flaws I saw in the new terminal.

The long walk only exists for those us not connecting.

I remember when the terminal was new there was some factoid that they had to make some minor design changes, because originally it exceeded the maximum amount a traveler might have to walk without a moving walk way by IATA's suggested guide lines. They were looking at the walk from the furthest gate in E + the walk between concourses + the walk through customs.

Here is an interesting write up by the AJC when the terminal was new: https://www.ajc.com/business/new-ter...TpwnnH1ECnQII/

Good news? : https://www.myajc.com/blog/airport/h...rcLA8KfJ7TAIM/

Looks like that corridor is soon to get replaced carpet and cosmetic changes....

I did find the factoid in the article interesting. This walk affects about 1,500 out of 15,000 arriving international passengers. Those numbers are up, so I'm guessing in 2018 we are closer to affecting 2,000 people/day.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:27 PM

198 posts, read 153,705 times
I just got back to Atlanta this afternoon from an international trip. I made eye contact with an agent at customs after he'd finished with the passenger in front of me, so I walked up to the desk. I was promptly berated for not waiting for a verbal command. It's borderline comical how nasty Hartsfield employees are. On the other hand, the airport workers I encountered abroad were consistently professional, patient, and civil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta