Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:39 PM

18 posts, read 46,519 times

Advertisements

We are a family of five with three kids 6 yrs and under moving to ATL this summer from San Francisco. We don't know if we should move to the burbs or stay in-town. Our in-town friends say in-town and our burb friends say move to the burbs. We've seen both and like both. We like Roswell for the burbs because of the big lots, good schools and old town main street, but also like ViHi for in-town. We want a large house and good public schools. With three kids, so private schools are not an option. We work for ourselves and will have our office where we live, so commuting won't be an issue. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 01:46 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
It becomes a question of three things -- budget (not just the house payment, but inside the perimeter, within the city limits, taxes are higher), house size (what do you really want) and lifestyle (do you want a big yard, with a community swim/tennis/playground, kids in every house, etc?

In the burbs, you will get more square footage per dollar. Intown you might find a home with the same number of rooms for example, but less square footage in each room.

What is your budget?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
lastminutemom is right. Budget will be key. While prices in Atlanta aren't on par yet with SF, intown homes are very pricey -- particularly the new infill homes that compare in size, floorplan, and amenities with homes in the burbs.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,123 times
Out of curiosity, what part of San Francisco do you live in?

Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM

184 posts, read 447,828 times
You're making the exact opposite move I made, from Virginia Highlands to San Francisco. Coming from SF I would suggest a nice In-Town neighborhood unless you want more space/land. The city of Decatur may also work well for you.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,551 times
You know...I dont know much about the schools in this area...but I have always liked the Chastain park area....it is like an older planned residential area north of buckhead. It has equestrian facilities and parks...and there is the chastain park venue too. I would check it out...I would consider it to be between roswell/sandy springs and buckhead. Sorta in between in-town and burbs.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:06 PM

I live in the outer richmond next to the legion of honor and lincoln golf course.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Our budget is around 600K, but it could be more and depends on what we sell our house here for. However, I would really like to buy for less and have a nice low mortgage payment, especially after living in pricey SF. Also, with three kids it would be nice to live in a 'hood where there are lots of kids. In SF it's hard to find kids in the city, except in the park. You can't say "go outside and play." And with three kids that would be nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad510 View Post
Out of curiosity, what part of San Francisco do you live in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
It becomes a question of three things -- budget (not just the house payment, but inside the perimeter, within the city limits, taxes are higher), house size (what do you really want) and lifestyle (do you want a big yard, with a community swim/tennis/playground, kids in every house, etc?

In the burbs, you will get more square footage per dollar. Intown you might find a home with the same number of rooms for example, but less square footage in each room.

What is your budget?

Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasofia View Post
Our budget is around 600K, but it could be more and depends on what we sell our house here for. However, I would really like to buy for less and have a nice low mortgage payment, especially after living in pricey SF. Also, with three kids it would be nice to live in a 'hood where there are lots of kids. In SF it's hard to find kids in the city, except in the park. You can't say "go outside and play." And with three kids that would be nice!
After everything that you state here, I'm thinking that the city of Decatur (30030) has everything you want.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
But make sure it is really in the city of Decatur... Decatur High School, should be what you look for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta