U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 09:43 AM

1,986 posts, read 1,697,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So does APS. In terms of quality, it's a lateral move at best. So for those 10 students, staying where they are in DCSS is the best solution.
It probably wouldn’t be considered a lateral move by most. I believe that the area is zoned for Briar Vista. The APS alternatives in the area are Morningside, Springdale Park, and maybe Mary Lin. Those 3 compare favorably with any elementary school in the state. The parents at Edmund Park neighborhood (as well as many of the surrounding homes in Morningside independently voted for annexation into APS. I would guess that would result in a sort of feedback loop—wealthy families leave a school—so more wealthy families want to leave a school—repeat. That would also hurt the middle and high school as well—which is what many in Dekalb are justifiably afraid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 12:21 PM

21,835 posts, read 33,745,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
It probably wouldn’t be considered a lateral move by most. I believe that the area is zoned for Briar Vista. The APS alternatives in the area are Morningside, Springdale Park, and maybe Mary Lin. Those 3 compare favorably with any elementary school in the state. The parents at Edmund Park neighborhood (as well as many of the surrounding homes in Morningside independently voted for annexation into APS. I would guess that would result in a sort of feedback loop—wealthy families leave a school—so more wealthy families want to leave a school—repeat. That would also hurt the middle and high school as well—which is what many in Dekalb are justifiably afraid of.
Yes to this. It's laughable to think that the affected area even has a reasonable choice here.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:17 PM
bu2

9,283 posts, read 5,944,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
By Avondale, it means Avondale Elementary. A “non-converted” charter school is not officially a feeder.

The feeder elementary schools to Druid Hills High:

Avondale Elementary
Briar Vista Elementary
Fernbank Elementary
Laurel Ridge Elementary
McLendon Elementary
Avondale and McClendon are 90+ % African American. Briar Vista is heavily majority Hispanic. Laurel Ridge is very diverse-it is probably plurality Anglo still. Fernbank (before getting the Buford Hwy kids who aren't zoned to DHHS anyway) was about 2/3 Anglo. Between 70 and 90% of the Fernbank kids go on to DHMS.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:20 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
What I've read is the parents wanted to stay in Dekalb. I don't know if the elementary kids were zoned to Briar Vista or Fernbank.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:25 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,373,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Avondale and McClendon are 90+ % African American. Briar Vista is heavily majority Hispanic. Laurel Ridge is very diverse-it is probably plurality Anglo still. Fernbank (before getting the Buford Hwy kids who aren't zoned to DHHS anyway) was about 2/3 Anglo. Between 70 and 90% of the Fernbank kids go on to DHMS.
Exactly. Most of the white kids at Druid Hills High and Shamrock Middle (I refuse to call it Druid Hills Middle) come from Fernbank and Laurel Ridge. And then some from Briar Vista.

bu2 you can answer this...

Are there some white families from Avondale Estates, North Druid Hills, and/or White Scottdale that skip the public elementary schools but then place their kids in the public middle and high?

Old 09-02-2018, 03:49 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,238,603 times
That seems like a losing battle

Old 09-02-2018, 06:13 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Exactly. Most of the white kids at Druid Hills High and Shamrock Middle (I refuse to call it Druid Hills Middle) come from Fernbank and Laurel Ridge. And then some from Briar Vista.

bu2 you can answer this...

Are there some white families from Avondale Estates, North Druid Hills, and/or White Scottdale that skip the public elementary schools but then place their kids in the public middle and high?
I haven't heard of anyone who skipped public elementary and then went to the middle school. People have told me 90% of the advanced classes at DHMS are Fernbank kids. I know of at least one who skipped both ES and MS but who went to DHHS. There may be some, but I'm not aware of them.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:14 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
That seems like a losing battle
And a waste of money. Somebody's favorite lawyer is getting a nice chunk of business, though.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 223 times
Does anyone have an updated status on this potential Annexation ?

An opportunity to be part of the Grady cluster is getting more and more compelling.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:37 PM

1,318 posts, read 684,371 times
I thought this was complete yet no maps show Emory within Atlanta city limits..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or