Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Atlanta problems is not enough roads in some areas. Look at Perimeter Center, Ashford Dunwoody and Peachtee Dunwoody Rds were not originally designed to handle all that traffic.

Much of the Northern Suburbs where the White Flight went to cant really handle tons of subdivisions mixes with huge office buildings trying to share a 1-2 lane road.

My biggest issue with metro Atlanta is, unless you live in a white area, many times you have to drive half and hr for a nice restaurant/shopping/car dealership and you are subject to a poor school system, unless you have $$$ to send your kids to private schools and that crime is soooo spread out now compared to a decade or two ago when it was just in certain areas.
Places like Cobb, Clayton, and DeKalb were the benefactors of Mid-20th Century White Flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Please name any city the size of Atlanta (or larger) that you feel has enough roads / does not have major traffic issues.
Detroit.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/98200610

"Rounding out the Top 10, after Los Angeles: New York, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, Washington D.C., Dallas, Boston, Chicago and Seattle. Other cities with worse traffic than Detroit, according to the study, include Houston, San Diego, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Phoenix.

In fact, no major metropolitan area with more than 3 million people - as of the 2015 estimate by the U.S. Census Bureau - has better traffic than Detroit, according to INRIX."

Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Detroit.
I'll agree that Detroit has solved it's traffic problem. However, it is now smaller than Atlanta. And I think we can agree that is model we do not want to follow.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:05 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
I'll agree that Detroit has solved it's traffic problem. However, it is now smaller than Atlanta. And I think we can agree that is model we do not want to follow.
You asked a question and I simply answered it. *shrugs*

IMO, Atlanta's problems should be tackled using all options, which includes adding road capacity.

BTW, it's not that much smaller. In fact, if the land area and radius of Detroit's metro size was as large as Atlanta's, it would about the same size.

For example, Cumming is roughly the same distance from downtown Atlanta as Ann Arbor is from downtown Detroit, yet Ann Arbor isn't officially counted as part of Metro Detroit. There's also another (at least) 340,000+ people, including cross-border commuters, in Canada that aren't officially counted in Metro Detroit's numbers (basically, the equivalent of the entire I-75 south corridor outside the perimeter).

Old 09-04-2018, 11:34 AM

221 posts, read 189,888 times
Lol I grew up in metro Detroit, and the solution to their traffic problem is jobs leaving the state, never to return, due to the financial crisis.

Can't pay people to move to cold Michigan these days.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 9,471 times
I'm a native Atlien moving back home in a few months. I cannot wait to leave the Midwest. I've been gone a few years. I'm wondering how much the city has changed in since 2012?

Old 09-04-2018, 01:18 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungirl10 View Post
I'm a native Atlien moving back home in a few months. I cannot wait to leave the Midwest. I've been gone a few years. I'm wondering how much the city has changed in since 2012?
You are in for a treat. I remember coming back after college and being blown away by the changes.

If you really want to see the transformation I recommend walking along the Beltline Eastside trail and then going into Ponce City Market's roof top to see the skyline. Especially Midtown.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:07 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
We should be so lucky as to have Detroit's street infrastructure.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-83.0457538

Old 09-04-2018, 02:32 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We should be so lucky as to have Detroit's street infrastructure.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-83.0457538
No
This:
vs this:
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2014/06/...e-highway-age/

Old 09-04-2018, 03:59 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Atlanta problems is not enough roads in some areas. Look at Perimeter Center, Ashford Dunwoody and Peachtee Dunwoody Rds were not originally designed to handle all that traffic.

Much of the Northern Suburbs where the White Flight went to cant really handle tons of subdivisions mixes with huge office buildings trying to share a 1-2 lane road.

My biggest issue with metro Atlanta is, unless you live in a white area, many times you have to drive half and hr for a nice restaurant/shopping/car dealership and you are subject to a poor school system, unless you have $$$ to send your kids to private schools and that crime is soooo spread out now compared to a decade or two ago when it was just in certain areas.
I think Atlanta’s poor areas are actually some of the best in the country. They have pretty good access to grocery stores and shopping, and school quality is pretty subjective though I will say that all of these lower income schools have programs for students that actually want to learn and not disrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta