Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:18 PM

711 posts, read 681,555 times

Advertisements

The parking lot this HQ is being built on is used for event parking at The Fox Theatre and hopefully most of it would be available during those times. With 2,000 spaces in the deck and a theater capacity of about 4,500, that would be enough to absorb everyone and their date who chooses/needs to drive to The Fox. Big question is during construction, where will everyone who uses the surface parking now find a space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Because companies still make bad choices, which is why we have oversight ie Midtown Alliance.
It doesn't seem like a bad choice from the NS point of view. Bottom line, they have to make the bucks to make the investors happy, and if building a 2000 space parking is how they do it, then that's how they're going to do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Existing are relatively poor land use all things considered. Sure, some retail, but both decks could house hundreds (or thousands) of people for residences and jobs instead of cars.
Also, to use the ATT decks, ATT would have to agree, or agree to sell them.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:10 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It doesn't seem like a bad choice from the NS point of view. Bottom line, they have to make the bucks to make the investors happy, and if building a 2000 space parking is how they do it, then that's how they're going to do it!
And the surrounding community be damned, I suppose.

Quote:
Also, to use the ATT decks, ATT would have to agree, or agree to sell them.
AT&T does not own the building. Carl Icahn does.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:28 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
And the surrounding community be damned, I suppose.
To a point. Take a look at the N. Dekalb Mall fiasco this week. The community tried to ram all of their ideas down the developer's throats, and now, they're dropping the whole thing for a while so the community is stuck with a mostly-abandoned mall surrounded by a big empty parking lot. In the case of the topic, would you rather keep a parking lot, or have a large building, with ground-level retail, and a fairly concealed parking deck?

Quote:
AT&T does not own the building. Carl Icahn does.
Carl Icahn then.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
To a point. Take a look at the N. Dekalb Mall fiasco this week. The community tried to ram all of their ideas down the developer's throats, and now, they're dropping the whole thing for a while so the community is stuck with a mostly-abandoned mall surrounded by a big empty parking lot. In the case of the topic, would you rather keep a parking lot, or have a large building, with ground-level retail, and a fairly concealed parking deck?
If I felt the plan was not in the community's best interest, then I would voice my concerns at the next meeting of whatever governing body was responsible for its approval...as I have done many times in the past. The developer can try, try again until they get it right.

That's the American Way.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:56 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Looks to me like the NS plan is a much more intelligent integration of parking than older structures.

I don't see why you wouldn't advocate for them to construct this, at their own expense, and then advocate for the old AT&T parking to be demolished and something equally intelligent built in its place.

Either way, NS is going to provide parking for its employees. Why is it better for them to use a dated design than to build their own? They aren't responsible for that AT&T lot.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Parking aside, I'm a big fan of the design. It's sleek and urbane, and the West Peachtree side engages the street well.

The Architects are Pickard Chilton, the same firm designing the new much taller tower up the street where the Daiquiri Factory was. They do great work in my opinion.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Parking aside, I'm a big fan of the design. It's sleek and urbane, and the West Peachtree side engages the street well.

The Architects are Pickard Chilton, the same firm designing the new much taller tower up the street where the Daiquiri Factory was. They do great work in my opinion.
The enhanced renderings that Street Advocate posted gave a clearer picture of the overall design, which I find very appealing.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:21 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
This AJC article talks about how the relocation of the Norfolk Southern HQ from Norfolk, Virginia to Midtown Atlanta is the feather in the cap of the highly-productive economic growth-focused governing alliance between Georgia Governor Nathan Deal and Atlanta mayors Kasim Reed and Keisha Lance-Bottoms...

"Railroad giant's new Atlanta HQ a triumph of city-state alliance" (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

The article also names some of the other major economic development and governing successes that have come as a result of the unique governing alliance between the Georgia State Capitol and Atlanta City Hall during Nathan Deal's eight years in office as governor of Georgia...
Quote:
The Gold Dome-City Hall alliance paved the way for Mercedes-Benz Stadium, NCR’s Midtown headquarters, the recruitment of Fortune 500 homebuilder PulteGroup from Michigan and even aided projects outside Atlanta’s city limits. Reed helped the region recruit Mercedes-Benz’s North American headquarters to Sandy Springs; kept Porsche’s North America headquarters here; and lobbied the Obama White House for funding to deepen the Savannah harbor.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:13 AM

180 posts, read 158,832 times
Will the building have an impact on the skyline or be visible much from the connector?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta