Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 11:01 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,815,530 times

Advertisements

25 year old guy looking into Atlanta . Live in Boston now and I'm sick of the winters plus housing costs here are extreme. What are some fun areas to live as a young single person? I've lived here my whole life so I want to make sure I can make friends and get involved once I move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 11:05 AM

10,739 posts, read 13,329,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
25 year old guy looking into Atlanta . Live in Boston now and I'm sick of the winters plus housing costs here are extreme. What are some fun areas to live as a young single person? I've lived here my whole life so I want to make sure I can make friends and get involved once I move
I love Boston and have always said I would have remained there but for the winter weather... You'll really like Atlanta. Not knowing your budget, I would recommend Virginia Highlands, Midtown and West Midtown. There are other great areas for young folk, as well. I'm sure that others will pop into this thread with further recommendations. By the way, I like your screen name!

Old 10-24-2018, 11:17 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,348,451 times
Some young people seem to like...I don't know what the name of the area is but it's around King Memorial Station I believe and there are popular joints like Joystick Game Bar on Edgewood Avenue. O4W also seems to be attracting younger people but it's a pretty good mix (not just young people)

Old 10-24-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I love Boston and have always said I would have remained there but for the winter weather... You'll really like Atlanta. Not knowing your budget, I would recommend Virginia Highlands, Midtown and West Midtown. There are other great areas for young folk, as well. I'm sure that others will pop into this thread with further recommendations. By the way, I like your screen name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Some young people seem to like...I don't know what the name of the area is but it's around King Memorial Station I believe and there are popular joints like Joystick Game Bar on Edgewood Avenue. O4W also seems to be attracting younger people but it's a pretty good mix (not just young people)
Thank you I will look into these areas. What are your thoughts on East Atlanta Village? Seems like there's a lot going on over there and pretty affordable compared to Midtown area

Old 10-24-2018, 03:32 PM

I hear a lot of people go there for night life. I've never been myself though...

Old 10-24-2018, 03:41 PM

10,363 posts, read 11,405,368 times
Quote:
Thank you I will look into these areas. What are your thoughts on East Atlanta Village? Seems like there's a lot going on over there and pretty affordable compared to Midtown area
East Atlanta Village and the surrounding East Atlanta neighborhood are an up-and-coming area that continues to improve and grow with interest from Millennial home buyers.

In recent years it has been a good alternative to areas north of I-20 and north of DeKalb Avenue where the real estate market has been more competitive due to increased demand.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
East Atlanta Village and the surrounding East Atlanta neighborhood are an up-and-coming area that continues to improve and grow with interest from Millennial home buyers.

In recent years it has been a good alternative to areas north of I-20 and north of DeKalb Avenue where the real estate market has been more competitive due to increased demand.
is there a significant amount of crime in the area? on google maps it looks like a solid middle class neighborhood by boston standards ie an area with virtually no crime

Old 10-24-2018, 04:33 PM

10,363 posts, read 11,405,368 times
Quote:
is there a significant amount of crime in the area? on google maps it looks like a solid middle class neighborhood by boston standards ie an area with virtually no crime
This is Atlanta. There unfortunately is a threat of some crime throughout much of the city and the metro area because of demographic, socioeconomic and unique population migration factors.

But those Intown neighborhood areas that are just south of I-20 (like Glenwood Park, Grant Park, etc) are continuing to improve and grow and blossom as they become more and more popular with Millennials and young professionals.

Crime will not be an overwhelming and/or overriding factor in the Atlanta metropolitan area, but with the Atlanta metro area being a large urban center and a massive regional logistical hub with high poverty rates and an ongoing issue with economic inequality, the threat of crime will not be completely non-existent.

Though, it definitely should be noted that crime rates are down significantly in Intown Atlanta from decades' past (1965-2000) when crime rates within the city of Atlanta proper were at their absolute highest as they were in virtually every major American inner-city during that era.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:11 PM

234 posts, read 143,435 times
Quote:
EAV is awesome- relatively cheap and great food and nightlife. Just know there isn’t much to walk or take transit to nearby besides itself. It will feel suburban/rural outside the immediate commmercial district, especially if you live in the city. Small towns will feel bigger than the neighborhood. If you’re okay with single family homes and little retail immediately outside the commercial area (the triangle on maps), okay, but figured I’d give you a heads up. However it is one of the better/more local entertainment destinations, IMO.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:

It's a good thing I didn't reply. I guess I had it in my mind that East Atlanta and East Point are the same...they are not. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta