U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2018, 08:26 AM
 
30,253 posts, read 28,241,899 times
Reputation: 11071

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Top 5 Systems:

1. Forsyth: 1167
2. Oconee: 1162
3. Decatur: 1160
4. Walker: 1150
5. Fayette: 1142
5. Buford: 1142
Some of these city systems only have one high school. If cities like Alpharetta, Chamblee and Johns Creek had independent schools systems they'd probably knock out several of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2018, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,058 posts, read 10,683,103 times
Reputation: 6179
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Top 5 Systems:

1. Forsyth: 1167
2. Oconee: 1162
3. Decatur: 1160
4. Walker: 1150
5. Fayette: 1142
5. Buford: 1142
Walker is a district? As in Walker County in NW Georgia? Or Walker School in Marietta? Either way, that would be a shock... Walker County as the third highest scoring county system in Georgia or that Walker School is the highest scoring private school in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 08:42 PM
 
6,642 posts, read 6,193,532 times
Reputation: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Walker is a district? As in Walker County in NW Georgia? Or Walker School in Marietta? Either way, that would be a shock... Walker County as the third highest scoring county system in Georgia or that Walker School is the highest scoring private school in the state.
Yes, that is indeed the Walker County Schools system in northwest Georgia that has earned the fourth-highest SAT score in the state of Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 09:32 PM
 
705 posts, read 526,793 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Walker is a district? As in Walker County in NW Georgia? Or Walker School in Marietta? Either way, that would be a shock... Walker County as the third highest scoring county system in Georgia or that Walker School is the highest scoring private school in the state.
Yes, it's Walker County in NW GA. They are a tiny system, so a few high scores skew the average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,058 posts, read 10,683,103 times
Reputation: 6179
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Yes, it's Walker County in NW GA. They are a tiny system, so a few high scores skew the average.
It isn't what I would call tiny. 68k population. Suburban Chattanooga. Still very shocking that it would rank ahead of metro school districts like Fayette and others. Chickamauga has a separate city system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 11:53 AM
 
14,629 posts, read 23,422,506 times
Reputation: 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Walker is a district? As in Walker County in NW Georgia? Or Walker School in Marietta? Either way, that would be a shock... Walker County as the third highest scoring county system in Georgia or that Walker School is the highest scoring private school in the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yes, that is indeed the Walker County Schools system in northwest Georgia that has earned the fourth-highest SAT score in the state of Georgia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Yes, it's Walker County in NW GA. They are a tiny system, so a few high scores skew the average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
It isn't what I would call tiny. 68k population. Suburban Chattanooga. Still very shocking that it would rank ahead of metro school districts like Fayette and others. Chickamauga has a separate city system.
Y'all, don't be alarmed/shocked. You have to take the analysis to the next level:


Walker County only had 30 total SAT test takers. This means that they are probably an ACT-taking emphasis district. Which also means that those taking the SAT are opting in and more than likely are students that have higher aspirations and/or goals for going out-of-state, to the Northeast, to a private U, etc.


30 SAT test takers in a county of 68,000 is does not represent the population.


This is another reason why GA often falls near the bottom of SAT-rankings. We are still an overall SAT-emphasis state when many of our neighbors (AL, MS, etc.) emphasize the ACT.




Now, I do think Walker County is good place and I am proud of suburban Chattanooga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 02:53 PM
 
14,629 posts, read 23,422,506 times
Reputation: 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Top 5 Systems:

1. Forsyth: 1167
2. Oconee: 1162
3. Decatur: 1160
4. Walker: 1150
5. Fayette: 1142
5. Buford: 1142

Top 25 High Schools in the State:

1. 1364: Gwinnett School of Math, Science, & Tech. (Magnet)
2. 1275: Northview
3. 1262: Walton
4. 1240: Chattahoochee
5. 1237: Columbus (Magnet)
6. 1224: John's Creek
7. 1221: Lambert
8. 1220: Davidson (Magnet)
9. 1212: Alpharetta
10. 1210: McIntosh
11. 1204: Lassiter
12. 1203: Pope
13. 1201: South Forsyth
14. 1200: North Gwinnett
15. 1187: Savannah Arts Academy (Magnet)
16. 1184: Cambridge
17. 1184: Milton
18. 1172: Chamblee, Kennesaw Mountain, Starr's Mill, Heritage
23. 1165: Oconee
24. 1165: Roswell
25. 1162: Decatur

https://www.forsyth.k12.ga.us/site/d...90546&PageID=1


Lookie here:

https://www.masslive.com/expo/news/e...schools-w.html


I think the Metro Atlanta/Georgia schools stack up very well to the schools in the link above--especially considering the super-affluence in Massachusetts and Boston's "Golden Ring", the extremely high concentration of families in Mass working in top universities and tech, and New England towns' infamous, yet very effective, exclusionary zoning laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 03:05 PM
 
14,629 posts, read 23,422,506 times
Reputation: 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Walker is a district? As in Walker County in NW Georgia? Or Walker School in Marietta? Either way, that would be a shock... Walker County as the third highest scoring county system in Georgia or that Walker School is the highest scoring private school in the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yes, that is indeed the Walker County Schools system in northwest Georgia that has earned the fourth-highest SAT score in the state of Georgia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Yes, it's Walker County in NW GA. They are a tiny system, so a few high scores skew the average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
It isn't what I would call tiny. 68k population. Suburban Chattanooga. Still very shocking that it would rank ahead of metro school districts like Fayette and others. Chickamauga has a separate city system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Y'all, don't be alarmed/shocked. You have to take the analysis to the next level:


Walker County only had 30 total SAT test takers. This means that they are probably an ACT-taking emphasis district. Which also means that those taking the SAT are opting in and more than likely are students that have higher aspirations and/or goals for going out-of-state, to the Northeast, to a private U, etc.


30 SAT test takers in a county of 68,000 is does not represent the population.


This is another reason why GA often falls near the bottom of SAT-rankings. We are still an overall SAT-emphasis state when many of our neighbors (AL, MS, etc.) emphasize the ACT.




Now, I do think Walker County is good place and I am proud of suburban Chattanooga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Top 5 Systems:

1. Forsyth: 1167
2. Oconee: 1162
3. Decatur: 1160
4. Walker: 1150
5. Fayette: 1142
5. Buford: 1142

Top 25 High Schools in the State:

1. 1364: Gwinnett School of Math, Science, & Tech. (Magnet)
2. 1275: Northview
3. 1262: Walton
4. 1240: Chattahoochee
5. 1237: Columbus (Magnet)
6. 1224: John's Creek
7. 1221: Lambert
8. 1220: Davidson (Magnet)
9. 1212: Alpharetta
10. 1210: McIntosh
11. 1204: Lassiter
12. 1203: Pope
13. 1201: South Forsyth
14. 1200: North Gwinnett
15. 1187: Savannah Arts Academy (Magnet)
16. 1184: Cambridge
17. 1184: Milton
18. 1172: Chamblee, Kennesaw Mountain, Starr's Mill, Heritage
23. 1165: Oconee
24. 1165: Roswell
25. 1162: Decatur

https://www.forsyth.k12.ga.us/site/d...90546&PageID=1

I can say this though...

Good things must be happening in suburban Chattanoonga because the "Heritage" in the list below is the Heritage High School in Ringgold--a suburb of Chattanooga.


In 2008, Heritage High relieve overcrowding at Ringgold High and Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High (the quintessential "Georgia-side" suburban Chattanooga high school).

Heritage High
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herita...gold,_Georgia)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,058 posts, read 10,683,103 times
Reputation: 6179
Good stuff Aries. I had to think that there was some anomaly happening for Walker to be rated that high. Not dissing them, but higher than Fayette?

Side note.... I hate it when districts name a new high school the same name as one already existing in the state: Culprits: Lakeside in Columbia County (Lakeside, DeKalb was first) Woodland in Henry (Bartow had the first Woodland) and now this Heritage in Catoosa (Rockdale had one first). Northside, Central, etc, those are bound to happen but specific names like these?

Sequoyah in Cherokee was named some years after Sequoyah in DeKalb was relegated to middle school status. And Archer in Gwinnett came years after Archer in Atlanta had closed so I'll give them a pass. Can you think of others? Carver in Columbus and Atlanta, but I don't know who was first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 07:00 PM
 
705 posts, read 526,793 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I can say this though...

Good things must be happening in suburban Chattanoonga because the "Heritage" in the list below is the Heritage High School in Ringgold--a suburb of Chattanooga.


In 2008, Heritage High relieve overcrowding at Ringgold High and Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High (the quintessential "Georgia-side" suburban Chattanooga high school).

Heritage High
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herita...gold,_Georgia)
Good info. I was wondering where Heritage was. At first, I thought of Heritage in Rockdale, but with only 30 test takers that seemed to be way too small for a suburban Atlanta school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top