U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 AM
 
3,146 posts, read 1,456,409 times
Reputation: 2395

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They still have serveral other locations, both ITP and OTP.

Decatur is just brutal these days.



Oh okay. They'll survive then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 AM
 
221 posts, read 105,746 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
There's no reason to criticize. I know the owners, and there's no bitterness on their part. Their business model simply didn't work in that location anymore, they knew it, and they moved on.
Best we all do.
I'm sure the owners are nice people, but they are the ones blaming their demise on skyrocketing rents instead of their own poor business decisions. Criticism is fair. They are also making a call to action to the people to put pressure on someone (City of Decatur or the landlords) to lower rents. If rents are truly too high, then there will be lots of vacancies in which case the rents will eventually come down.

When you start pointing fingers be prepared to see some being pointed back at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 07:58 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,073,520 times
Reputation: 7907
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
I'm sure the owners are nice people, but they are the ones blaming their demise on skyrocketing rents instead of their own poor business decisions. Criticism is fair. They are also making a call to action to the people to put pressure on someone (City of Decatur or the landlords) to lower rents. If rents are truly too high, then there will be lots of vacancies in which case the rents will eventually come down.

When you start pointing fingers be prepared to see some being pointed back at you.
But then you lose a bunch of local businesses in the process. Usually forever. Wouldn't it be smarter and more humane (for all parties involved) to prevent yourself from having to learn the "rent is too high" lesson the hard way by simply not pushing your greed past the breaking point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,418 posts, read 17,576,989 times
Reputation: 5423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
But then you lose a bunch of local businesses in the process. Usually forever. Wouldn't it be smarter and more humane (for all parties involved) to prevent yourself from having to learn the "rent is too high" lesson the hard way by simply not pushing your greed past the breaking point?
Local cities should not be subsiding these local businesses, who's then to make the choice of which ones stay and which ones have bad business practices? There is plenty of affordable rent in other areas of Decatur, south of Memorial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:18 AM
 
2,089 posts, read 1,808,650 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
But then you lose a bunch of local businesses in the process. Usually forever. Wouldn't it be smarter and more humane (for all parties involved) to prevent yourself from having to learn the "rent is too high" lesson the hard way by simply not pushing your greed past the breaking point?
Yeah, but it is *because* blocks of Decatur were demolished, and “local” lower-end restaurants and businesses were driven out by rising rents that certainly attracted this restaurant to Decatur 10 years ago. What is so special about the displacement that is happening now, versus the displacement that happened 10 or 25 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:19 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,073,520 times
Reputation: 7907
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Local cities should not be subsiding these local businesses, who's then to make the choice of which ones stay and which ones have bad business practices? There is plenty of affordable rent in other areas of Decatur, south of Memorial.
Not sure why this is a response to me, as I was not in any way talking about subsidies or government. All businesses, no matter how successful, have a breaking point with rising rents. If you have bad business practices, you're going to fail regardless of how much you pay in rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,124 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Reputation: 15314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Yeah, but it is *because* blocks of Decatur were demolished, and “local” lower-end restaurants and businesses were driven out by rising rents that certainly attracted this restaurant to Decatur 10 years ago. What is so special about the displacement that is happening now, versus the displacement that happened 10 or 25 years ago?
Nothing whatsoever. 10 years is the blink of an eye, and Decatur will continue down its path towards exclusivity and betrayal of the vision set forth 40 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:28 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,073,520 times
Reputation: 7907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Yeah, but it is *because* blocks of Decatur were demolished, and “local” lower-end restaurants and businesses were driven out by rising rents that certainly attracted this restaurant to Decatur 10 years ago. What is so special about the displacement that is happening now, versus the displacement that happened 10 or 25 years ago?
Blocks of Decatur were not demolished ten years ago, and certainly not the block this restaurant is on. Not sure what you're referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:35 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,124 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Reputation: 15314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Blocks of Decatur were not demolished ten years ago, and certainly not the block this restaurant is on. Not sure what you're referring to.
He's probably referring to the wholesale destruction of the southern and western sides of the square to make way for the courthouse and government offices, which is probably one of the worst things to ever happen to Decatur. But it was almost fifty years ago, not ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,073,520 times
Reputation: 7907
There's nothing "special" about this business compared to others, but there is a far smarter approach to raising rent. If you have a great, stable tenant that the community supports, but you feel you can get more in rent, why not work with the tenant, see how much of an increase they can withstand, and both sides can negotiate and make adjustments so everyone is happy. Isn't that better than forcing out a good tenant and then losing money on a vacant storefront while waiting for a new richer tenant to come along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top