U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 AM

3,197 posts, read 1,676,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Over the last 25 years blocks of Decatur have been demolished. Whether a new business is moving into an older spot with “character” or more modern digs—they are moving in because that is where the money is—and the money is there because of a massive and continual displacement of businesses in that time. There are things about old Decatur that I miss, but this is a business that cashed in on Decatur’s gentrification that is making way for another business that cashing in on further gentrification. I am sure that the restaurant will be missed, and hope that everyone lands on their feet, but really it was the same wave that brought them there that has washed them away.
But that "other business" will likely be a chain restaurant -- any bets on whether it will be a First Watch or a Zoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
We still don't know. Appearances can be deceiving and we don't know the whole story. For all we know there could have been a discussion with no outcome satisfactory to the business owner so. They could be resorting to last ditch efforts to try to bring public pressure. I've never seen public pressure overcome a drastic increase in rent.
Having a business open less than other normal businesses in a prime spot doesn't make sense.
It's too bad they didn't have a dinner or coffee place share the space in their off hours, like that Thai restaurant in Candler Park (can't remember the name) that rents after hours space in a breakfast spot.

Southbound Restaurant in Chamblee, which is only open for lunch and dinner, shares space with an independent coffee shop during the mornings. It's a great arrangement and the proprietor of the coffee shop could never get a space like that on her own in that location.

I don't know what the answer is, because I like the free market system. But the truth is that a lot of the "character" of Atlanta neighborhoods is being bulldozed over and replaced with shiny new developments that cost a lot more. The businesses that had low cost space in crumbly old developments weren't paying for all the infrastructure requirements, tree planting etc. that municipalities require of newer developments. I look at that new development on North Decatur and see the same old same old. I don't even have a reason to go there because I have all the same stuff where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 07:01 AM

23,421 posts, read 17,582,404 times
Quote:
The businesses that had low cost space in crumbly old developments weren't paying for all the infrastructure requirements, tree planting etc. that municipalities require of newer developments. I look at that new development on North Decatur and see the same old same old. I don't even have a reason to go there because I have all the same stuff where I live.
That's how we get nice sidewalks, street trees, etc. Putting the cost on developers of new developments.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:25 AM

3,197 posts, read 1,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That's how we get nice sidewalks, street trees, etc. Putting the cost on developers of new developments.

Of course -- but the cost of those developments (rightfully) gets passed onto tenants -- and small independents can't afford it.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:56 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,075,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Of course -- but the cost of those developments (rightfully) gets passed onto tenants -- and small independents can't afford it.
Exactly. Have fun walking on your new sidewalk from Old Navy to TGI Fridays, CQ.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,580,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
7am-3pm with no alcohol sales and cash only isn't a good business plan.

There's a cheap breakfast place in downtown decatur, it's called waffle house. If they opened late night 11pm-4am or something on weekends they could get tons of business from people coming directly from bars.

And also, take credit. It's 2018 for crying out loud. No excuses. Even girls scouts take credit cards. I say good riddance to any cash only business that goes under.
Really? Have you even eaten there? Or do you just eat at the Huddle House? Its 2018 for crying out loud......

Old 11-06-2018, 02:38 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
But that "other business" will likely be a chain restaurant -- any bets on whether it will be a First Watch or a Zoes?
Ironically, the CoD has historically been discouraging to chain retailers.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:47 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,809,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Exactly. Have fun walking on your new sidewalk from Old Navy to TGI Fridays, CQ.
If you see more chains downtown, it’s because you see more of most things (chains and not) in Decatur. They have gotten nowhere with annexing business properties, and schools have to be paid for, so they will continue cramming more stuff in there.
But really, I don’t remember chains doing particularly well in Decatur when rents were less expensive (is Ruby Tuesday’s still there? —I have no idea). Why should they do any better when rents go up? I understand it becoming more over-priced/expensive, but so have the homes, so I guess there will be some demand for that—if not, rents will level out.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:56 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,075,314 times
Quote:
If you see more chains downtown, it’s because you see more of most things (chains and not) in Decatur. They have gotten nowhere with annexing business properties, and schools have to be paid for, so they will continue cramming more stuff in there.
But really, I don’t remember chains doing particularly well in Decatur when rents were less expensive (is Ruby Tuesday’s still there? —I have no idea). Why should they do any better when rents go up? I understand it becoming more over-priced/expensive, but so have the homes, so I guess there will be some demand for that—if not, rents will level out.

Chains don't necessarily "do better" according to rents. They are able to survive because they operate on a much larger scale and can more easily absorb rent increases. And, by nature of their size, they have more leverage to get what they want than mom and pop do.

There's a reason why Applebees, Chili's, and Outback Steakhouse don't go out of business during a recession, but lots of one-off restaurants do.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:56 PM

224 posts, read 114,511 times
This was one of my favorite diners in one of my favorite neighborhoods. They have good food and great portion sizes. Definitely worth saving, IMO. I'm disappointed to see it go.

It seems like Atlanta will always go with the "new, hip, trendy moneymakers" and forget anything that isn't. I'm not sure when the city will realize that part of what makes other cities attractive/more attractive are these older or local places.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:20 PM
bu2

10,049 posts, read 6,452,292 times
Quote:
Ruby Tuesday's has been gone for quite a while. They had no business. I'm kind of surprised Ted's Montana grill is still there. They don't do a lot of weekend dinner business. Maybe they are more of a lunch place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta