U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 08:53 AM

19 posts, read 148,108 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide information about Snellville, GA and/or Gwinnett County? Weather year-round, Is it friendly?, Schools, Do people who live there usually work in Atlanta or are there good jobs in Snellville? Need lots of info. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 09:21 AM

232 posts, read 1,205,536 times
Snellville is a pretty okay place. The weather year round is fair... summers are hot and humid, fall and spring are wonderful, and winter is sort of mild. It is about as friendly as any other surrounding area, the slogan for Snellville is "where everybody is somebody", or something like that. There are two school clusters in Snellville. Brookwood Schools are terrific and South Gwinnett Schools are slightly less desireable. Snellville Middle school has not done very well according to No Child Left Behind, and you will find very mixed reviews from parents of SMS students. There are not many jobs in Snellville aside from retail and dining, therefore most people commute to other employment centers. Places to consider when looking for jobs while living in Snellville would be Duluth, Decatur, Atlanta, Northlake, Dunwoody, Lawrenceville.... I wouldn't suggest any further commutes than any of those places, mind you that downtown or Dunwoody can and will be an hour and a half at best and can routinely approach 2 hours one way. You will find a good variety of housing options in Snellville. Starter homes can be found in the 150 range (sometimes even lower) and you can find places that run into the 600-700 range (sometimes even higher ) Snellville is growing pretty rapidly and you can find a pretty good array of dining and shopping options as compared to just a few years ago. On the flip side of that is traffic. The traffic anywhere along 124 and 78 seems to get worse each day, and only looks to deteriorate even further. Coming from Sugarloaf and 124 at peak traffic times, it can easily take 30 minutes just to get to 78, which normally would be a 10 minute drive. At one time, there was a side road, North Road, which was a good option, but unforunately everyone else has discovered that. Oh well, regardless of what I say, people will continue flocking here in droves. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:03 AM

Thanks Steve2149! You provided good information and although I am not familiar with the roads you mention, I will look them up on the map. I would imagine the traffic in Altanta is much worse, so we would like to avoid having to commute there for work, however, it may be unavoidable seeing as my hubby's line of work (elevators) will most likely be in a big city like that.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:31 PM

You should find a good deal of business working in elevators. My wife is a commercial property manager and has dealt with many elevator contractors / subcontractors. I also work in real estate and can tell you that there are probably around 70 - 80 buildings over 10 stories that are either proposed or under construction right now in the metro area. That, along with the existing buildings, equals a pretty strong location. I would suggest that you research your competitors as much as possible and by all means spend the money to get involved in BOMA - Atlanta (Building owners and managers association), most property management firms are members and will only use BOMA affiliates. Back to Snellville, you will probably be happy there. Where, if I might ask, are you moving from?

Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 PM

612 posts, read 1,951,097 times
I recently moved to Snellville from Tampa and am very happy. There is a lot of shopping around every corner, many nice new and older homes and parks all over. Traffic is congested during rush hour but the rest of the time seems kinda like being in the country.

I don't know where you are from but if it's Florida, you will probably love it!

Old 12-15-2006, 06:39 PM

I don't know that it's like living in the country... I'd more relate it to a postcard of suburban sprawl. Definitely not a bad place, though.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:48 AM

612 posts, read 1,951,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
I don't know that it's like living in the country... I'd more relate it to a postcard of suburban sprawl. Definitely not a bad place, though.

LOL! Moving here from Florida it seems like the country, honestly!

Old 12-16-2006, 12:47 PM

Yeah, I could see it being country compared to other areas of the nation. It certainly isn't country compared to where I grew up. I do like the vibrancy, but now that it can easily take 30 minutes to cross the tiny town of Snellville, I would definitely call it anything but country. IT's certainly not urban though, just choked with franchises and cars, and people like me who thought they would reinvent themselves in suburbia. OH well, at least we are making good money and paying low prices for houses and our kids are on good youth sports teams and we can go to Beef O' Brady's and we have good new car lots and we have Target, Wal Mart, and Goody's (Now Avenues at Webb Ginn) and we see many many houses nearly identical to one another mile after mile we arent very crime prone and there is school spirit and i'm rambling on.... Oh yeah, I need to see my shrink for this, not this message board

Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 AM

We are currently located in South Florida (Miami) and although this is where both of us were born and raised, it is unfortunately over crowded, with overcrowded schools and traffic, etc. The cost of living has grown to almost impossible to handle if you don't make around $90000.00 per household (we do, but we are of the rarety). The value of our house is great and will help us to buy elsewhere, that is if the seller's market increases. Right now it is taking up to a year for our neighbors to sell, that is why I say we will be relocating within a year to 18 months. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:21 PM

13 posts, read 32,078 times
Hello, all. I'm thinking of moving from London to somewhere Snellsville-ish. I was an events manager in a big City restaurant, now have downsized a bit to a job at a media club walking distance from my home. I'm black, single, ex-actress, (last acting job last year) current fledgeling writer. Good move, d'you all think? (I have a Green Card now). What about repossession prices? Is it still poss to get some good real estate for a single person in this area?

Thanks for any feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta