Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,413 times

Advertisements

Looking for a private school for my family moving to GA from DC. I have heard mixed reviews about Holy Innocents Episcopal School - one concern is what exactly was going on with the Head of School when friends were there in 2010. I have not heard good things from 2003-2010.

What kind of leadership is at the school and how does the community handle incidents that compromise the school's integrity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 05:20 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Is there a reason why you are restricting your search to only one independent school? There are a number of elite private schools within a 10 mile radius of Holy Innocents'. And 2010 is a long time ago. I'm not part of that community, but I have not heard anything negative about the school recently.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:02 AM

19 posts, read 25,519 times
I can't speak to what was happening in 2010, but HIES has a stellar program. The campus is gorgeous (rivals any private college) and the teachers are dedicated. You'll pay a pretty penny for the privilege of attending, though! If you're price-conscious, you can certainly find comparable schools elsewhere.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:03 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillMartinez View Post
I can't speak to what was happening in 2010, but HIES has a stellar program. The campus is gorgeous (rivals any private college) and the teachers are dedicated. You'll pay a pretty penny for the privilege of attending, though! If you're price-conscious, you can certainly find comparable schools elsewhere.
I'm still surprised that private schools won't release their stats on student performance. It would be interesting to see how they stack up against the major public schools.

But maybe I've answered my own question.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:38 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm still surprised that private schools won't release their stats on student performance. It would be interesting to see how they stack up against the major public schools.

But maybe I've answered my own question.

The only stat you need to know is that they are exclusive. Many people just want the social circles that they bring as well. Although most have very above avg athletics if that is your thing. You can't deny that these kids don't get good test scores. But affluent people at public schools I would argue produce the similar scores.

Last edited by ATL Golfer; 11-12-2018 at 03:07 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisonlaw View Post
Looking for a private school for my family moving to GA from DC. I have heard mixed reviews about Holy Innocents Episcopal School - one concern is what exactly was going on with the Head of School when friends were there in 2010. I have not heard good things from 2003-2010.

What kind of leadership is at the school and how does the community handle incidents that compromise the school's integrity?
The headmaster during that time frame left in 2010. He was temporarily replaced by the upper school principal then an interim for a year or so during a national search. The current Headmaster has been with the school for three (?four) years and has restored leadership stability.

Holy Innocents is a great school, but as AtlantaJan points out, there are several other schools of that caliber (and even more elite, academic, athletic....) in the Atlanta area. If you are specifically looking for an Episcopal School, HIES would be the best choice, but if it is an elite private school that you are looking for, I'd encourage you to check out other schools in addition to HIES and cast a wider net.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:28 PM

403 posts, read 619,041 times
Westminster, Lovett, and Pace Academy should be on the list as well.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:42 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
The headmaster during that time frame left in 2010. He was temporarily replaced by the upper school principal then an interim for a year or so during a national search. The current Headmaster has been with the school for three (?four) years and has restored leadership stability.

Holy Innocents is a great school, but as AtlantaJan points out, there are several other schools of that caliber (and even more elite, academic, athletic....) in the Atlanta area. If you are specifically looking for an Episcopal School, HIES would be the best choice, but if it is an elite private school that you are looking for, I'd encourage you to check out other schools in addition to HIES and cast a wider net.
Sorry - I misquoted - I meant CMMom not AtlJan!

Old 11-13-2018, 07:00 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:
The only stat you need to know is that they are exclusive.
Exclusion is the keyword.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta