U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 AM

2,770 posts, read 1,417,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
He's been pushing this negative schtick for anything related to Atlanta for years now, and not just Downtown. I'm actually surprised he hasn't left yet.

Yep. Background noise with nothing constructive to say.

I do think it would help if there were a shopping district downtown, although Atlantic Station probably pre-empted that possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 02:57 PM

28,466 posts, read 25,662,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Yep. Background noise with nothing constructive to say.

I do think it would help if there were a shopping district downtown, although Atlantic Station probably pre-empted that possibility.
I think the south downtown and Underground redevelopments will fill that need.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:01 PM

4,069 posts, read 4,674,689 times
well, there's not too many places that stay open late night downtown. you've got mama mia's, two waffle house locations, landmark diner, and yumm teriyaki and that's about it. if you're in town late and aren't drinking there are only a handful of options. it beats everywhere else in the metro area for sure but especially when it's cold the lack of places to just warm up is notable, and so is MARTA being closed before the bars even do.

we need more public places downtown that are open late, but our city, state, and country seems to have a collective fear of the homeless that's led to a lot of stupid laws being passed that suffocate the street life and make the problem even worse (no street vending, "urban camping" ordinance, no single occupancy hotels, no temporary work without significant documentation, etc.). of all the places in the metro it seems like should be able to have one neighborhood, just one, that you can go to when you don't have anyplace else to go, warm up, and make some money in a legit way and contribute to society. instead, if you're broke, you have to beg or be willing to sell something illegal.

people complain about being harassed... it's because we've cut off the bottom rungs of the economic ladder and have left a significant number of people out on the damn street with nothing to do and nowhere to go. this is a legitimate issue that needs to be addressed. look at downtown in the 50s and 60s, it was not like this, at least if you were white. but once it became illegal to discriminate based on race, we can't have a functioning downtown because apparently it's not safe anymore? i call BS.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 PM

downtown postcard, 1961

Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 AM
JPD

12,108 posts, read 14,721,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
well, there's not too many places that stay open late night downtown. you've got mama mia's, two waffle house locations, landmark diner, and yumm teriyaki and that's about it.
There are too few options, for sure, but to add to your list, there's Anatolia, open until 2 on weekends, Park Bar (til 1), Sidebar, (til 12), Der Biergarden (til 12). There's probably a bunch of stuff in Castleberry open fairly late. Assuming food service ends an hour before closing, that's still plenty of time to get something to eat after a typical sports game or concert.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 AM

22,653 posts, read 16,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
I love the United. Then the game is over, we exit the stadium, and realize there's absolutely nothing else to walk to and leave.
Marietta St restaurants, Park Bar, Sidebar, Castleberry Hill?

Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 AM

28,509 posts, read 25,250,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
downtown postcard, 1961

I don't think there were many late night eateries in downtown Atlanta in those days. Maybe the Blue Bird truck stop down on Pryor or the bus station. Folks generally didn't howl at the moon back then.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 AM

1,402 posts, read 1,601,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the south downtown and Underground redevelopments will fill that need.
I really believe that South downtown will be such a game changer for downtown if not the entire city.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't think there were many late night eateries in downtown Atlanta in those days. Maybe the Blue Bird truck stop down on Pryor or the bus station. Folks generally didn't howl at the moon back then.

sorry for the misinformation about atlanta being a 24/7 city, my dad was just a kid in the 50s/60s and most of his memories are from the 70s forward, so anytime i talk about that time period it's me making a stab in the dark from whatever info i can glean from books, photos, newspaper articles, city documents, documentaries, and the rare conversation i have with a long time atlanta native.

you should do a tour of atlanta or something, or maybe youtube videos with photos? there aren't many people in atlanta today who were around during that time period and honestly i would love to hear more about what it was like. just everyday stuff like what the neighborhoods were like, where to get a bite to eat, what people carried with them in their pockets, what people did to make money, how the smog was, how it was driving to another city; stuff like that isn't documented and maintained very well.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 AM

249 posts, read 169,501 times
I'm not concerned with being labelled anti Atlanta, because I am. The simple fact of the matter is that downtown is completely devoid of any vibrancy, and everyone here knows it. I don't give a flying flip about what anyone thinks about, "Well just wait, in 5 years it might:..." I've been hearing that lie for almost 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or