U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:46 PM

752 posts, read 356,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
I'm not concerned with being labelled anti Atlanta, because I am. The simple fact of the matter is that downtown is completely devoid of any vibrancy, and everyone here knows it. I don't give a flying flip about what anyone thinks about, "Well just wait, in 5 years it might:..." I've been hearing that lie for almost 15 years.
What places in Metro Atlanta do you consider vibrant?

Downtown is not the most vibrant place but you can't ignore centennial Olympic park and peachtree street downtown. It's not jam packed with people( which I enjoy) but there is usually a steady stream of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 12:55 PM
bu2

9,229 posts, read 5,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I really believe that South downtown will be such a game changer for downtown if not the entire city.
It won't have much impact on the city.

As for downtown, its still probably not much better than 50/50 South downtown works. How many times has Underground been redeveloped to great fanfare? It will have a positive impact if they continue, but its going to be a 20-30 year transformation, not some 5 year miracle.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:56 PM
bu2

9,229 posts, read 5,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
What places in Metro Atlanta do you consider vibrant?

Downtown is not the most vibrant place but you can't ignore centennial Olympic park and peachtree street downtown. It's not jam packed with people( which I enjoy) but there is usually a steady stream of people.
The better question is "What is your definition of vibrant?"

Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM

752 posts, read 356,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The better question is "What is your definition of vibrant?"
A place with parks, museums, restaurants, and shopping within walking distance of one another. It's place where people feel encouraged to walk around and explore.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM
JPD

12,108 posts, read 14,721,699 times
Quote:

As for downtown, its still probably not much better than 50/50 South downtown works. How many times has Underground been redeveloped to great fanfare? It will have a positive impact if they continue, but its going to be a 20-30 year transformation, not some 5 year miracle.
One.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM

1,402 posts, read 1,601,819 times
Quote:

I have no idea about any past Underground redevelopments but I would wager that the dynamics of the city were completely different at that time. I'm pretty sure that the city was not booming with practically every neighborhood surrounding downtown experiencing growth and new development.

A major destination in the very heart of the city will change the perception of not only downtown but the entire city (at least for visitors). And it won't take a "miracle" to for an area with all of the attributes that downtown already has going for it.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:07 PM

28,466 posts, read 25,662,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
I'm not concerned with being labelled anti Atlanta, because I am. The simple fact of the matter is that downtown is completely devoid of any vibrancy, and everyone here knows it. I don't give a flying flip about what anyone thinks about, "Well just wait, in 5 years it might:..." I've been hearing that lie for almost 15 years.
That's just an outright lie. Now downtown struggles with after-hours activity for sure but saying it is completely devoid of any vibrancy whatsoever is just a straight-up lie and you know it.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM

1,854 posts, read 1,318,219 times
The difference with the new development of Underground Atlanta and its past two incarnations is PEOPLE. The new development will have housing for thousands giving the whole development an infusion of an instant and stable customer base. THIS is the difference that will make a difference for the final success of Underground Atlanta after two previous "five year miracle" incarnations. Residents along with the addition of a "for real though" grocer that is promised are the true "game changers".

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM

21,807 posts, read 33,698,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's just an outright lie. Now downtown struggles with after-hours activity for sure but saying it is completely devoid of any vibrancy whatsoever is just a straight-up lie and you know it.
Don't cast your pearls before swine, Mutiny.

Old Today, 01:00 AM

28,466 posts, read 25,662,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Don't cast your pearls before swine, Mutiny.
Lesson definitely learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or