Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,288,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Fraudulent"? That's a pretty strong term to use.

Economic development officials in all of these cities know how the game works and they chose to play; nobody put a gun to anybody's head.
I use strong words because the corporate bullcrap has to be called out and fiercely.

Because the Democrats are weak political cowards...who failed to stand up for working people...and curtail Wall Street criminality and corporate abuse when they had the U.S. House, U.S. Presidency, and U.S. Senate from Jan 2009 - Jan 2011.

And the douchebag McWeenie currently residing in the Oval Office now is the end result of that political cowardice.

And even now the Dems are still weak political cowards who refuse to get their act together and be warriors for Working people.

So I am going to keep using strong language as I always have. Because someone has to say something. Because it seems people are content with just staying asleep...while Rome is slowly burning to the ground.

Nothing personal to you or anyone, but that's just how I roll.

And I don't see myself changing anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 10:06 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I use strong words because the corporate bullcrap has to be called out and fiercely.

Because the Democrats are weak political cowards...who failed to stand up for working people...and curtail Wall Street criminality and corporate abuse when they had the U.S. House, U.S. Presidency, and U.S. Senate from Jan 2009 - Jan 2011.

And the douchebag McWeenie currently residing in the Oval Office now is the end result of that political cowardice.

And even now the Dems are still weak political cowards who refuse to get their act together and be warriors for Working people.

So I am going to keep using strong language as I always have. Because someone has to say something. Because it seems people are content with just staying asleep...while Rome is slowly burning to the ground.

I doubt we'll ever see the day when corporations (and individuals, for that matter) quit jockeying for favors. That's human nature and it happens in every system of government.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I doubt we'll ever see the day when corporations (and individuals, for that matter) quit jockeying for favors. That's human nature and it happens in every system of government.
Corporations are not human beings and do not have the same vulnerability as human beings.

The sooner people dispense with that dangerous and insane notion, the better.

Maybe this planet can still be salvaged.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:18 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Corporations are not human beings and do not have the same vulnerability as human beings.

The sooner people dispense with that dangerous and insane notion, the better.

Maybe this planet can still be salvaged.
Agreed. Your point is well taken.

However, corporations are made up of and run by people who have human urges. So I doubt we'll ever see the day that they stop being competitive.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:24 AM

37,812 posts, read 41,589,060 times
Quote:

Sounds to me that you're saying that Dems are the real frauds. Amazon isn't being hypocritical here; they are a business, not a charity, and do what they can to maximize their profits. They have never pretended to be anything else so I'll actually amend my statement to say that "fraudulent" is an inaccurate term to use.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Sounds to me that you're saying that Dems are the real frauds.
You are mistaken in your interpretation.

And my previous commentary on this very thread regarding Red-Staters and Blue-Staters would easily indicate that I have many complaints about both sides of the political spectrum.

It just so happens that the Democratic party is positioned to be a party that is supposedly catering to people of my specific demographic and class-standing...so that is why my statements are laser-focused on them.

Quote:
Amazon isn't being hypocritical here; they are a business, not a charity, and do what they can to maximize their profits. They have never pretended to be anything else so I'll actually amend my statement to say that "fraudulent" is an inaccurate term to use.
No one is saying that Amazon should not do what it is supposed to do for its ownership.

If the government and poltical environment under the current Overton window allows business practices that are seen by a plurality as unsavory to go relatively unchecked, then that's how the ball bounces.

But if you are a business owner that has outspoken political beliefs...and said political beliefs would have you support a particular political party...that at least pays lip-service to opposing the business practices of the company you own...then there should not be a surprise when criticism comes your way.

That should be expected.

U.S. politics is not for snowflakes or the faint of heart. It's a down and dirty business.

Anyone who steps into the political arena should expect to get dirty or simply stay out.

My humble opinion, of course.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:58 PM

37,812 posts, read 41,589,060 times
Quote:
You are mistaken in your interpretation.

And my previous commentary on this very thread regarding Red-Staters and Blue-Staters would easily indicate that I have many complaints about both sides of the political spectrum.

It just so happens that the Democratic party is positioned to be a party that is supposedly catering to people of my specific demographic and class-standing...so that is why my statements are laser-focused on them.
Sounds like I'm spot-on in my interpretation. That last paragraph confirms it.

Quote:
But if you are a business owner that has outspoken political beliefs...and said political beliefs would have you support a particular political party...that at least pays lip-service to opposing the business practices of the company you own...then there should not be a surprise when criticism comes your way.
Only from people who aren't discerning enough to know that the expression of some beliefs doesn't tie a person down to a political party's entire platform.

All of this outrage over Amazon doing what businesses do is mind-boggling. Keep your ire directed at the political establishment because that's where it truly belongs.

I consider myself liberal but this is one area where I simply refuse to march in lockstep with other liberals. Bezos isn't Satan incarnate because his company takes advantage of tax incentives. Blame the two major political parties for engaging in crony capitalism (hypocrisy on the GOP's side) and not investing in the human infrastructure (e.g., education) which why incentives became a thing in the first place (hypocrisy on the Dem's side).

Old 11-24-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Sounds like I'm spot-on in my interpretation. That last paragraph confirms it.
It only confirms that you think the political party in question is above reproach. Which is not unusual. Which is how the 2016 primaries were totally botched.

Quote:
Only from people who aren't discerning enough to know that the expression of some beliefs doesn't tie a person down to a political party's entire platform.
It's not about the beliefs, it's about the money. Money talks, bullcrap walks.

Quote:
All of this outrage over Amazon doing what businesses do is mind-boggling. Keep your ire directed at the political establishment because that's where it truly belongs.
The way some folks are so willing to bend over prostrate for the corporations are truly a disappointment. I can see why another World economy destroying Subprime mortgage meltdown...or some other major fiscal bubble burst...is on the horizon.

Quote:
I consider myself liberal but this is one area where I simply refuse to march in lockstep with other liberals. Bezos isn't Satan incarnate because his company takes advantage of tax incentives. Blame the two major political parties for engaging in crony capitalism (hypocrisy on the GOP's side) and not investing in the human infrastructure (e.g., education) which why incentives became a thing in the first place (hypocrisy on the Dem's side).
I consider myself an amoral pragmatist who sides with working people especially those of a melanated hue.

And again, I have already made clear in previous postings that both parties have earned my disgust.

The GOP supported crony capitalism, of course. They are firmly the party of the wealthy elites. The Dems however failed to take apart crony capitalism...or at the very least knock out one of its legs...when they had the votes.

Not to mention failed to jail the criminal gangster bankers who nearly sunk the world's economy with fraudulent predatory subprime mortgage loans.

Simple as that.

We will have to agree to disagree. Because there is simply no more gold to be mined on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta