Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 02:32 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Anyway, I don't know what happened to the church but all over the country people should not be shocked to hear about more and more churches being closed. This may hold true especially in the Bible Belt where there are churches galore.
It is partly just demographics. Back in the old days it was common for people to have a passel of kids and hauling the whole crew up to church was pretty much de rigeur.

I would also speculate that the megachurches have hoovered up a lot folks who used to go to traditional churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 04:16 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Small world! Initials TF to confirm.... I will have to let him know I ran into a fan online. LOL!
Yep that’s him! Great guy and great preacher.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:06 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Yep that’s him! Great guy and great preacher.
We did several youth led services as teens, he preached, I was the music man. I spent a lot of time at his Methodist church and he at my Baptist Church. Went to each other's youth camps. Our senior year made a road trip with him sans parents to check out Asbury College in Kentucky where he went for undergrad. The furthest away from home I had been at that point. Wonderful fellow, brilliant, challenging and crazy sense of humor. I credit him with keeping me honed to be a better student and better follower of Christ as a teen. Oh for all young men to have that caliber of friend growing up.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:26 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Anyway, I don't know what happened to the church but all over the country people should not be shocked to hear about more and more churches being closed. This may hold true especially in the Bible Belt where there are churches galore.
DD, thought of your comment when I read this today.

https://www.infowars.com/between-600...die-this-week/

Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 AM

66 posts, read 35,833 times
What's surprised me is how resilient a lot of these smaller congregations are in intown neighborhoods. Their church buildings sometimes don't amount to very much, but they're sitting on land worth millions in some cases. But the churches stay active, even after all their members have moved out of the neighborhood. I don't mind them and I'm not saying they should move, but I'm surprised more haven't taken the payout and built a new sanctuary closer to where their members live now.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
I’m surprised that Peachtree Road Lutheran Church is still a functioning church. Hardly anyone attends the services there, and it sits right on Peachtree Road between Lenox/Phipps and Brookhaven. It is surrounded by very expensive new condos, so I wouldn’t be surprised if someone snatches up that land before too long

Old 11-29-2018, 09:53 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
DD, thought of your comment when I read this today.

https://www.infowars.com/between-600...die-this-week/

Hi Iconographer,

Thanks for the article. I skimmed through it but will read it in full definitely. I am wondering if the "nones" are really those who tend to say they are spiritual. I've found many of these recently. It's hard to leave religion and so for many, they kind of find themselves in a space where they want to believe in a superior being (hard to leave this mindset when you've been taught from young, especially with there being negative consequences if you don't) but don't follow "organized religion."

You know I should be happy reading this article because it's actual research supporting what I've been saying but I find myself saddened in a way. There's one person in mind who treated me so horribly after we debated religion, being so dependent on this superior being who know matter what, would be there for him. I don't feel sorry for him at all (he made life hard for me at a time where I was going through some stuff), but I do feel sorry for those who believe in a superior being and think that this being is mad at them (because of hardships in their life) or that they are "wrong" but this being loves them. For me it isn't enough to see that they feel loved when they feel the way they are born damns them.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:03 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
I’m surprised that Peachtree Road Lutheran Church is still a functioning church. Hardly anyone attends the services there, and it sits right on Peachtree Road between Lenox/Phipps and Brookhaven. It is surrounded by very expensive new condos, so I wouldn’t be surprised if someone snatches up that land before too long
A lot of the old churches in Buckhead (Christ the King, Second Ponce de Leon Baptist, St. Philips Episcopal, Trinity Presbyterian, Peachtree Presbyterian) endure because they still have cadres of moneyed families that step forward and balance the budget at FYE. But even that situation can't last forever.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
I think a lot of these churches basically exist as schools and pre-schools nowadays.

They can make good money on that, and just let the real estate appreciate.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Fly thru video
[vimeo]353390668[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/353390668
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta