U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 PM
bu2

9,429 posts, read 6,043,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
What if they just took a more gradual approach to building it in multiple sections rather than eating the entire project at once like they did with the N.W. Coridoor. I personally think (especially with the delicate prestigious values of that area) that it would be much better to do it right rather than create a barrage of unsightly bridges within that scape of rolling hills and trees and higher end developments. It would do alot less damage if those lanes were buried...it may cost more but atleast it wont create a top end blight. I mean...they may be able to get the job done 'cheaper' by building bridges but that's almost meaningless if we aren't looking at the long term effects of something like that and I have no doubt that will absolutely kill values anywhere near its path. Especially near places like Riverside Drive
Texas was going to rebuild I-69 (Southwest Freeway) from downtown to Shepherd just as they had, with a series of bridges going over the arterial roads with a good bit elevated. Neighborhoods asked for a depressed freeway. The Texas department of transportation looked at it and figured out it would actually cost less with the depressed freeway.
The result was this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7307...7i13312!8i6656

As opposed to this a couple miles down the road:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7305...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 07:34 AM

22,898 posts, read 16,896,059 times
Quote:
GADOT released additional schematics as to how the HOT lanes will look along I-285:

https://youtu.be/ZLK25tv5C3I

Sorry. I had to.
OK, this has been bothering me; it's GDOT not GADOT. Georgia is the only state starting with a "G"

Old 02-22-2019, 07:37 AM

22,898 posts, read 16,896,059 times
285 mayors propose a bus lane in managed lanes along 285, between Cumberland and Northlake.
Quote:
The group still has to study how many people might use the transit option and has to determine how any transit expansion would be funded. The feasibility study presented last month concluded that running buses that look like trains to stations along the managed lanes planned for I-285 would cost about $450 million to build out, and could be operated for less than $8 million a year.
Buses in managed lanes are the future of transit in metro Atlanta.
Quote:
“I think [buses in managed lanes] is the future of transit for metro Atlanta because it’s affordable, it’s within reach.”
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...hPPX4chKLwRdM/

Old 02-22-2019, 01:52 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
285 mayors propose a bus lane in managed lanes along 285, between Cumberland and Northlake.

Buses in managed lanes are the future of transit in metro Atlanta.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...hPPX4chKLwRdM/
It’s “affordable” because they’re omitting the $5 billion construction cost of the I-285 lanes.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM

Meanwhile in Sandy Springs along GA 400:

20 Sandy Springs houses would be demolished for GDOT toll lanes project, residents say

Quote:
Twenty houses on a Sandy Springs street would be demolished for the Ga. 400 toll lanes project, residents say they were told by the Georgia Department of Transportation in a private meeting.

Four of those homeowners, most of whom did not want to be named, spoke with the Reporter and said they felt the process has been too secretive and that they should have been contacted earlier. They said 19 of the targeted houses are on Northgreen Drive and one is Spalding Drive.

“We feel extremely anxious that we’re certainly going to get the short end of the stick,” said Torry Alexander, one homeowner who was told her house would be taken. “[GDOT] is extremely powerful and has way more resources.”

GDOT spokesperson Natalie Dale confirmed the meeting, but did not comment on the number of houses that may be taken.

“Outreach was made to these property owners to allow them the opportunity to view a display showing the potential impacts to their properties, which was specific to parcels that back up to [Ga. 400] at this location,” Dale said in an email.

The $1.2 billion toll lanes project would add two new elevated, barrier-separated “express lanes” or “managed lanes” in both directions on Ga. 400, alongside regular travel lanes. Construction is expected to begin in 2021. A similar, connected project is planned for I-285.

The toll lanes have become controversial for the limited information being released and the property impacts, some of which are privately being discussed with homeowners. Residents on Sandy Springs’ Montrose Lane, just off Long Island Drive at I-285, have previously revealed five of that cul-de-sac’s 12 homes are expected to lose some of their property, but not the homes themselves. Other property impacts under GDOT consideration are demolishing eight homes on Sandy Springs’ Crestline Parkway for an interchange and tearing down part of a Dunwoody townhouse while leaving the rest standing.

GDOT has shown maps of property impacts to property owners privately, but has said in response to open records requests to the Reporter that the documents do not exist or are exempt from disclosure.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:18 PM

1,358 posts, read 587,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
While I'm against the project and would much prefer to see HRT in that direction, 20 homes in whole is minuscule in comparison to the project scope in its entirety. I'm pretty certain even HRT expansion will take property in similar proportions if not more given a whole new route would need to be fabricated.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:26 PM
bu2

Quote:
While I'm against the project and would much prefer to see HRT in that direction, 20 homes in whole is minuscule in comparison to the project scope in its entirety. I'm pretty certain even HRT expansion will take property in similar proportions if not more given a whole new route would need to be fabricated.
Its not that big a deal (obviously unless its your house). These things are necessary. As long as they get fair compensation.

But Georgia and MARTA are definitely not transparent. There seems to be some legitimate concerns about the process.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:38 PM

1,358 posts, read 587,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its not that big a deal (obviously unless its your house). These things are necessary. As long as they get fair compensation.

But Georgia and MARTA are definitely not transparent. There seems to be some legitimate concerns about the process.
Yeah I definitely do hope they get fair compensation. On the other note though I personally have no issue with sacrificing my home for the better of the city and cant fully understand why people get shocked when they come to realize property has to be sacrificed to make improvements for the metro as a whole.

On a side note, regarding Georgia and MARTA, are you inferring legitimate concerns about extending the Red Line?

Old 02-25-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
If the Red Line were to be extended, it would be north of this segment of 400 and could fit within existing open right-of-way.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:56 PM
bu2

Quote:
Yeah I definitely do hope they get fair compensation. On the other note though I personally have no issue with sacrificing my home for the better of the city and cant fully understand why people get shocked when they come to realize property has to be sacrificed to make improvements for the metro as a whole.

On a side note, regarding Georgia and MARTA, are you inferring legitimate concerns about extending the Red Line?
No, about the process of selecting the route and which areas are to be condemned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or