U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 02:08 PM

203 posts, read 84,847 times

Advertisements

Ugh, they're putting them on the outside? They should be pressed together on the inside, it'd look a lot better. And it's gotta be taller than that, to clear the bridges and other obstacles in the way.

I'd not be surprised if this project gets canceled prior to its start date due to eye-watering costs, however. I think the money would be much better spent widening 85 to the SC border - that's much more needed than extra lanes on the Top End. If people are tired of the congestion, they really should think about moving closer to work, or getting another job that's not so difficult to get to. Why should taxpayers have to pay enormous sums for other people's crappy commuter habits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 02:19 PM

3,489 posts, read 8,612,789 times
It's basically going to look like I-75 Northwest around Delk Rd., but on both sides.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:02 PM

5,089 posts, read 4,115,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
As I said, it can serve 100% of travelers. And a large % will use it at some time or the other. A tiny % will use an HRT. It just won't go where most of them want to go.
How exactly do HOT lanes serve 100% of travelers when the vast majority of those that even use that particular freeway, say, 75, don't use the toll lanes?

Old 01-25-2019, 03:04 PM

5,089 posts, read 4,115,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Ugh, they're putting them on the outside? They should be pressed together on the inside, it'd look a lot better. And it's gotta be taller than that, to clear the bridges and other obstacles in the way.

I'd not be surprised if this project gets canceled prior to its start date due to eye-watering costs, however. I think the money would be much better spent widening 85 to the SC border - that's much more needed than extra lanes on the Top End. If people are tired of the congestion, they really should think about moving closer to work, or getting another job that's not so difficult to get to. Why should taxpayers have to pay enormous sums for other people's crappy commuter habits?
Agreed.

Also, once they get the 285/400 junction rebuilt, imagine how many flyover ramps there would be with these new HOT lanes.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:13 PM

4,202 posts, read 3,338,755 times
DFW has been installing this sort of system over the past few years with a lot of it completed. I'm sure there was plenty of grumbling, but they got it done (or at least started).

Just today I rode this section which has 3 lanes in each direction for a decent distance. Here's a map of what's done so far. It's a pretty nice system and I believe they are adding on. And DART isn't entirely neglecting rail. They're even planning on opening a line connecting the northern burbs to the airport. I don't know if I'll still be here by the time it's complete. But it would definitely be a good option for me.

I still plan on eventually moving back to Atlanta, but I'm gonna miss the transportation networks here in DFW and Houston. It's frustrating to see Atlanta mostly sit on its hands. It's not like Atlanta's method is working better. Growth in DFW and Houston continues to outpace Atlanta. Atlanta isn't doing bad, but it could be doing better. From 2010 to 2017 Atlanta added 600k people (11.3%) while Houston and DFW both added almost an additional million people (16.4 and 15.1 %). Both metros have had no trouble attracting companies or workers. Both downtowns and intown areas are healthy and popular living choices.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:07 PM

1,847 posts, read 2,068,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
For 5 BILLION dollars, this is an absolutely ludicrous project.

Even at $250 million per mile, that price tag will buy you 20 miles of heavy rail. That's enough to cover the entire top end perimeter....with more than a billion dollars left over. How does building two lanes of traffic cost more than heavy rail? You could connect Doraville and Sandy Springs or Medical Center MARTA stations to a new station at The Battery for less.

God, this state is full of morons.
Northern Arc much cheaper and would relieve I-285.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:12 PM

1,847 posts, read 2,068,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
How exactly do HOT lanes serve 100% of travelers when the vast majority of those that even use that particular freeway, say, 75, don't use the toll lanes?
The option of a more predictable travel time with a somewhat guaranteed 45 mph minimum speed...

is the only reason for the HOT lanes.

I-285 is going to be uglier than I-85 through Gwinnett once they cram all of this into there.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:14 PM
bu2

9,264 posts, read 5,940,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The 16% does actually include the capital part of the budget. 16% is the percentage of costs that MARTA users actually pay through fares. $135m in fare collection on $956m of expenditures. $132m of that is capital costs, and almost $280m in various funds. $474.5m is general operating costs. At least from the 2018 budget book.
It doesn't include construction costs. It may include continuing capital such as new rail cars.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:23 PM
bu2

9,264 posts, read 5,940,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
You mean, when rural Georgia legislators won't support transit in the number one economic generator in the state.

A big issue is all the sprawl, and that's not going to change any time soon. Same with the complete lack of urgency for even the slightest bit of commuter rail.
The HOT lanes in Henry County, Cobb County, Gwinnett County and the proposed 400 lanes to Forsyth will provide lanes for express bus.

There was a monorail type system in Houston that got passed by the voters. Bob Lanier (later mayor) was in charge. He asked the obvious question, "Why do we spend a billion dollars for worse service?"

Buses are cheaper, provide the needed capacity, are more likely to pick you up close to home, will drop you off closer to work, and, since most commuter rail will have multiple stops along the way to justify the capacity, will also be quicker. There may be a couple of routes where it makes sense because you have access to ROW, but it won't be many. And the real issue is getting the trains downtown.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:54 PM

5,030 posts, read 3,827,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The HOT lanes in Henry County, Cobb County, Gwinnett County and the proposed 400 lanes to Forsyth will provide lanes for express bus.

There was a monorail type system in Houston that got passed by the voters. Bob Lanier (later mayor) was in charge. He asked the obvious question, "Why do we spend a billion dollars for worse service?"
Good question, yet that's exactly what you want us to do.
Quote:
Buses are cheaper,
They aren't.
Quote:
provide the needed capacity,
They don't.
Quote:
are more likely to pick you up close to home,
Not express buses, they still originate from a park and ride.
Quote:
will drop you off closer to work,
Not express buses
Quote:
and, since most commuter rail will have multiple stops along the way to justify the capacity, will also be quicker.
Not when the bus is stuck in traffic.

There may be a couple of routes where it makes sense because you have access to ROW, but it won't be many. And the real issue is getting the trains downtown.[/quote]
How is getting the trains downtown an issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or