U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 06:20 PM

55,067 posts, read 78,709,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtikan View Post
We currently live in a predominately white middle class neighborhood in Long Island, NY with very little diversity. The lack of diversity is beginning to affect my family esp. my daughter as she has stated that she wishes their were more "brown" people in her school. Because of this, cold weather and other circumstances we are thinking of moving to Atlanta area. We would like to live in an area that is a good mixture of cultures, good schools and very family oriented . Our housing budget is around 500K

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but where on Long Island are you? I just ask because there are SD's there that are diverse with good schools.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-01-2018 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTXDTX View Post
I'm new here but I can reassure you the ATL area will provide you with what you're looking for. I would focus on DeKalb County if I was you .... a plethora of upper middle class blacks, really strong predominately black public schools (the best predominately black public schools in the US), beautiful place to live, very family-oriented communities, and strong racial harmony (of course the county isn't all black)

If I had children (only will happen if I'm forced to take a family member kids due to death), I would definitely be in DeKalb County somewhere. But as a single professional desiring to remain relatively socially active and wanting to bask in the energy of the city, living downtown (centrally located) makes it easier!
Is this true? Ironically, there are some SD's on Long Island that would fit that description in terms of having solid/good schools. There's the Valley Stream area, Elmont, Malverne and Baldwin come to mind(all 4 have predom. Black areas with 6 figure median household incomes), with the very good Half Hollow Hills SD having middle class predominantly Black neighborhoods in Wheatley Heights and the northern portion of West Babylon in the solid North Babylon SD being another such area. Same with the SE portion of the Deer Park SD. So, this is why I'm curious as what part of L.I. the OP is coming from.

Also, to address something else mentioned in the thread, cost of living in parts of NY State(Upstate) are actually lower than much of the Atlanta area. So, I just wanted to clear that up as well.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:34 PM

5,510 posts, read 3,079,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
There are actually many desirable parts of Fulton County, including most areas north of the Atlanta city limits. The geography of metro Atlanta is complex and can't be characterized easily on a county basis, with a few exceptions (e.g. just about all of Fayette County has higher property values than anywhere in adjoining Clayton County). Plenty of racial and cultural diversity is the norm in the inner and middle ring suburbs, and the weather and everyday expenses are vastly easier to deal with than in Long Island.
Exactly. That’s like saying “I don’t want to live in Nassau County Long Island due to crime”. Every town and village is different.

OP, why do you specifically want to move off of LI to Atlanta? You can get diversity anywhere, including on Long Island and certainly metro NYC.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:36 PM

5,510 posts, read 3,079,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is this true? Ironically, there are some SD's on Long Island that would fit that description in terms of having solid/good schools. There's the Valley Stream area, Elmont, Malverne and Baldwin come to mind(all 4 have predom. Black areas with 6 figure median household incomes), with the very good Half Hollow Hills SD having middle class predominantly Black neighborhoods in Wheatley Heights and the northern portion of West Babylon in the solid North Babylon SD being another such area. Same with the SE portion of the Deer Park SD. So, this is why I'm curious as what part of L.I. the OP is coming from.

Also, to address something else mentioned in the thread, cost of living in parts of NY State(Upstate) are actually lower than much of the Atlanta area. So, I just wanted to clear that up as well.
Great points. Rochester, NY has good diversity - majority minority and nearly 40% black.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Great points. Rochester, NY has good diversity - majority minority and nearly 40% black.
True and its mayor is a black female(2nd black mayor the city has had). Buffalo is similar as well.

Just to keep it somewhat in line with the thread, this is an area of the Baldwin SD in the village of Freeport: Census Block Group 414100-6 in Nassau County, New York
Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6643...7i13312!8i6656
Its SD: https://www.baldwinschools.org/

So, given that such areas exist on Long Island, that is why I was generally curious.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-01-2018 at 07:10 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 07:34 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,310,924 times
Quote:
Thank you a thousand times for that in depth response. I was leaning towards cities in gwinnett county but never really thought of the commuting distance to and from work.
Yeah, because of the limited road and transit infrastructure and the building traffic congestion from the exploding population, many newcomers are particularly often strongly advised to keep in mind the convenience of the commute to and from their places of work when looking for housing.

Quote:
We didnt want to live too close to fulton due to the high crime rates.
Like other posters have stated, Fulton County actually has many desirable areas with very low and declining crime rates, particularly north of the Atlanta city limits in largely super-affluent North Fulton County (in the communities of Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton and Johns Creek), but also within the Atlanta city limits in urban districts like Buckhead, Midtown Atlanta and Intown East Atlanta.

Like in a major, major international city like New York, crime rates (particularly homicide rates) in Intown Atlanta have declined precipitously over the last couple of decades while many Intown neighborhoods experience continued revitalization.

Quote:
Aside from Atlanta, what is the next business district?
Like other large major metropolitan areas of a certain size and population, Atlanta is a multi-nodal metropolitan area/region with multiple major business districts and large clusters of employment.

Inside and near the I-285 Perimeter highway that encircles the urban core of the greater Atlanta metro area/region, major business districts and large clusters of employment include:

> Downtown Atlanta...

> Midtown Atlanta...

> Buckhead (Atlanta's 'Uptown' district)…

> Perimeter Center (an area which straddles the boundary between the cities of Sandy Springs and Dunwoody)…

> Cumberland (an area anchored by the new Atlanta Braves' Major League Baseball stadium (SunTrust Park), the adjoining mixed-use development (The Battery) and Cumberland Mall)…

> Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (the world's busiest passenger airport)…

> Emory University (an Ivy League-caliber university in north-central DeKalb County).

Outside of the I-285 Perimeter highway that encircles the urban core of the greater Atlanta mero area/region, major business districts and large clusters of employment include:

> Alpharetta and the Georgia Highway 400 corridor...

> Norcross/Peachtree Corners/Technology Park...

> Northlake/Tucker/Stone Mountain area...

> Fulton Industrial Boulevard/Six Flags area...

> Duluth/Suwanee/Lawrenceville/I-85/GA 316 Northeast corridor...

> Kennesaw/North Marietta/North Cobb County...

> I-675 corridor in south DeKalb and north Clayton counties...

> I-85 Southwest corridor in South Fulton County...

> around the I-85/GA 34 interchange in Newnan and Coweta County...

> Peachtree City along GA 74 south of the GA 54 junction...

> at and around the I-75/GA 155 interchange in Henry County...

> Along the I-20 East corridor in eastern DeKalb, Rockdale and Newton counties...

> Along the I-985 corridor in central and southern Hall County.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:10 PM

7 posts, read 5,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not to sidetrack the thread, but where on Long Island are you? I just ask because there are SD's there that are diverse with good schools.
east northport....I know there are areas that are more diverse but if we are going to move it will be somewhere warmer as well.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 5,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Exactly. That’s like saying “I don’t want to live in Nassau County Long Island due to crime”. Every town and village is different.

OP, why do you specifically want to move off of LI to Atlanta? You can get diversity anywhere, including on Long Island and certainly metro NYC.

life changes that have occurred recently. I may have been misleading but I do not want a majority black area, just one with a good mixture of races and cultures......

I have lived in ELlmont and I know about alot of areas in long island but alot of the areas taxes and house cost are very high. As for upstate, I do not want to move somewhere that will be colder than where I am now.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:11 AM

4,100 posts, read 3,453,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yeah, because of the limited road and transit infrastructure and the building traffic congestion from the exploding population, many newcomers are particularly often strongly advised to keep in mind the convenience of the commute to and from their places of work when looking for housing.

Like other posters have stated, Fulton County actually has many desirable areas with very low and declining crime rates, particularly north of the Atlanta city limits in largely super-affluent North Fulton County (in the communities of Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton and Johns Creek), but also within the Atlanta city limits in urban districts like Buckhead, Midtown Atlanta and Intown East Atlanta.

Like in a major, major international city like New York, crime rates (particularly homicide rates) in Intown Atlanta have declined precipitously over the last couple of decades while many Intown neighborhoods experience continued revitalization.

Like other large major metropolitan areas of a certain size and population, Atlanta is a multi-nodal metropolitan area/region with multiple major business districts and large clusters of employment.

Inside and near the I-285 Perimeter highway that encircles the urban core of the greater Atlanta metro area/region, major business districts and large clusters of employment include:

> Downtown Atlanta...

> Midtown Atlanta...

> Buckhead (Atlanta's 'Uptown' district)…

> Perimeter Center (an area which straddles the boundary between the cities of Sandy Springs and Dunwoody)…

> Cumberland (an area anchored by the new Atlanta Braves' Major League Baseball stadium (SunTrust Park), the adjoining mixed-use development (The Battery) and Cumberland Mall)…

> Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (the world's busiest passenger airport)…

> Emory University (an Ivy League-caliber university in north-central DeKalb County).

Outside of the I-285 Perimeter highway that encircles the urban core of the greater Atlanta mero area/region, major business districts and large clusters of employment include:

> Alpharetta and the Georgia Highway 400 corridor...

> Norcross/Peachtree Corners/Technology Park...

> Northlake/Tucker/Stone Mountain area...

> Fulton Industrial Boulevard/Six Flags area...

> Duluth/Suwanee/Lawrenceville/I-85/GA 316 Northeast corridor...

> Kennesaw/North Marietta/North Cobb County...

> I-675 corridor in south DeKalb and north Clayton counties...

> I-85 Southwest corridor in South Fulton County...

> around the I-85/GA 34 interchange in Newnan and Coweta County...

> Peachtree City along GA 74 south of the GA 54 junction...

> at and around the I-75/GA 155 interchange in Henry County...

> Along the I-20 East corridor in eastern DeKalb, Rockdale and Newton counties...

> Along the I-985 corridor in central and southern Hall County.
B2R please run for mayor, city council or governor. So much good information

Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 AM

979 posts, read 899,256 times
Quote:
Thank you a thousand times for that in depth response. I was leaning towards cities in gwinnett county but never really thought of the commuting distance to and from work. We didnt want to live too close to fulton due to the high crime rates. Aside from Atlanta, what is the next business district?
We have several large business districts that tend to house F500 type companies:

Downtown
Midtown
Buckhead
Perimeter
Cumberland
Alpharetta (more small tech)

Note that all of these are roughly in the northern half of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta