U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:41 AM

6,015 posts, read 5,313,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I'll ignore your snarky remark and elaborate.

Atlanta as a whole is more diverse than many of the outlying areas. Take a look at say Forsyth County, which is 85% white and 2.6% black. Alpharetta is 72% white and 11.2% black.

Atlanta overall is around 54% black, 38% white.

I will acknowledge that it varies by neighborhood - Buckhead is very white and Northwest is very black.

There are areas in-between and elsewhere that are more diverse.

If I'm incorrect, please feel free to rebut so OP gets good information. Comments accusing others of "spreading lies" isn't helpful, and could be seen as an attack.
That is a good point that the City of Atlanta proper is more diverse than at least some outlying parts of the Atlanta metropolitan area.

Though, the most recent estimates provided by the U.S. Census Bureau in 2017 report that North metro suburban Forsyth County had a population that was only about 71.9% non-Hispanic/Latino white and 3.8% black, while North metro suburban Alpharetta proper had a population that was only about 60.7% non-Hispanic/Latino white, 11.7% black, 3.7% mixed-race.

Some numbers that really stuck out about Forsyth County and Alpharetta proper were the rising Asian and Hispanic populations in those jurisdictions.

In 2017, Asians were reported to have made up about 13.4% of Forsyth County's population and about 16.2% of the population of the City of Alpharetta proper.

While in 2017, Hispanic/Latinos were reported to have made up about 9.6% of Forsyth County's population and about 7.6% of the population of Alpharetta proper.

Non-Hispanic/Latino whites are better to use as a measure of the white population than the overall white designation as a whole because the overall white designation as a whole includes ethnic Hispanics/Latinos with white skin.

Some outlying areas also of note with populations that appear to be as diverse and probably more diverse than the City of Atlanta include:

> Northeast metro suburban Gwinnett County where the population was reported to be 37.4% non-Hispanic white, 28.7% black, 21.2% Hispanic/Latino, and 12.2% Asian as of 2017...

> Northwest metro suburban Cobb County where the population was reported to be 51.9% non-Hispanic/Latino white, 28.4% black, 13.1% Hispanic/Latino, and 5.5% Asian as of 2017.

Other outlying metro Atlanta suburban counties like Newton (46.6% non-Hispanic/Latino white), Henry (43.7% non-Hispanic/Latino white), Douglas (40.6% non-Hispanic/Latino white) and Rockdale (31.7% non-Hispanic/Latino white) feature increasingly fairly diverse populations.

While other outlying metro Atlanta suburban counties like Paulding (71% non-Hispanic/Latino white) and Fayette (62.4% non-Hispanic/Latino white) and other outlying metro Atlanta suburban cities like Roswell proper (64.9% non-Hispanic/Latino white), Dunwoody proper (62.4% non-Hispanic/Latino white), Sandy Springs proper (57.3% non-Hispanic/Latino white) and Johns Creek proper (54.8% non-Hispanic/Latino white) appear to feature rapidly-shrinking non-Hispanic/Latino white majorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 05:12 PM

4,133 posts, read 4,750,836 times
i was going to give a text reply too until i realized i was just arguing about reality and my opinion on it doesn't change the truth. like, what's the point in me debating the finer details when i could just google a racial dot map and answer the OP's question more effectively?

Old 12-03-2018, 09:18 PM

7 posts, read 5,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Be careful what you wish for? The issue you are running into (as I'm sure you're well aware) is the existing correlation between race and wealth/income. I don't know where on Long island you live, but based on your post I will guess either Nassau or Suffolk county which are 73% and 80% white. This is not all that far off from some of the more affluent areas around the Atlanta metro (some are more white, some are less). The northern suburbs in Atlanta have had a growing asian presence for a long time now (is that what you mean by brown?).... but be warned that there is a STEEP drop off in terms of diversity once you get about 90 minutes outside the city in every direction.

Nowhere in the USA is as diverse as NYC (I think Queens is the most diverse place in north america except for Toronto), and while Atlanta is hardly a backwater hick town you will certainly be trading down in terms of culture, amenities, attractions, etc.

That being said, the pace of life, lower population density, lower costs and overall less everyday stress in Atlanta is like a breath of fresh air compared to NYC.

Its hard to say what I would do in your shoes. Without knowing what kind of diversity you're looking for, it might be worth considering metros other than Atlanta depending on what you are looking for.
thank you for your input. I am just looking for areas where its not 80% one race like where I am in suffolk county

Old 12-03-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtikan View Post
thank you for your input. I am just looking for areas where its not 80% one race like where I am in suffolk county
Like has been expressed up and down this thread by multiple posters, you have an abundant amount of options/choices to choose from that fit your criteria, particularly with your home-purchasing budget of up to $500k.

It all just depends on where you will be commuting to and from for work each day and what kind of environment you want to live in.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:57 AM

5,523 posts, read 3,081,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That is a good point that the City of Atlanta proper is more diverse than at least some outlying parts of the Atlanta metropolitan area.

Though, the most recent estimates provided by the U.S. Census Bureau in 2017 report that North metro suburban Forsyth County had a population that was only about 71.9% non-Hispanic/Latino white and 3.8% black, while North metro suburban Alpharetta proper had a population that was only about 60.7% non-Hispanic/Latino white, 11.7% black, 3.7% mixed-race.

Some numbers that really stuck out about Forsyth County and Alpharetta proper were the rising Asian and Hispanic populations in those jurisdictions.

In 2017, Asians were reported to have made up about 13.4% of Forsyth County's population and about 16.2% of the population of the City of Alpharetta proper.

While in 2017, Hispanic/Latinos were reported to have made up about 9.6% of Forsyth County's population and about 7.6% of the population of Alpharetta proper.

Non-Hispanic/Latino whites are better to use as a measure of the white population than the overall white designation as a whole because the overall white designation as a whole includes ethnic Hispanics/Latinos with white skin.

Some outlying areas also of note with populations that appear to be as diverse and probably more diverse than the City of Atlanta include:

> Northeast metro suburban Gwinnett County where the population was reported to be 37.4% non-Hispanic white, 28.7% black, 21.2% Hispanic/Latino, and 12.2% Asian as of 2017...

> Northwest metro suburban Cobb County where the population was reported to be 51.9% non-Hispanic/Latino white, 28.4% black, 13.1% Hispanic/Latino, and 5.5% Asian as of 2017.

Other outlying metro Atlanta suburban counties like Newton (46.6% non-Hispanic/Latino white), Henry (43.7% non-Hispanic/Latino white), Douglas (40.6% non-Hispanic/Latino white) and Rockdale (31.7% non-Hispanic/Latino white) feature increasingly fairly diverse populations.

While other outlying metro Atlanta suburban counties like Paulding (71% non-Hispanic/Latino white) and Fayette (62.4% non-Hispanic/Latino white) and other outlying metro Atlanta suburban cities like Roswell proper (64.9% non-Hispanic/Latino white), Dunwoody proper (62.4% non-Hispanic/Latino white), Sandy Springs proper (57.3% non-Hispanic/Latino white) and Johns Creek proper (54.8% non-Hispanic/Latino white) appear to feature rapidly-shrinking non-Hispanic/Latino white majorities.
Great points about the rising Asian and Hispanic population in north Fulton and surrounding counties. I see it every day when Im about.

Id say that OP has a ton of choices given that there are very few areas without more diversity than he gets in East Northport now.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Great points about the rising Asian and Hispanic population in north Fulton and surrounding counties. I see it every day when Im about.

Id say that OP has a ton of choices given that there are very few areas without more diversity than he gets in East Northport now.
Another thing that probably should be noted is that many of the outlying metro Atlanta suburban areas mentioned appear to be trending towards being even more diverse in the not-too-distant future as evidenced by the demographics of the student bodies in their county public school systems.

The #1 prime example of this is in Gwinnett County where non-Hispanic/Latino whites made up about 37.4% of the county's overall population as of 2017, but appeared to make up only about 22% of the student body population of the entire Gwinnett County Public Schools system as of October 2nd, 2018.

It appears to be possible (if not likely) that racial and ethnic minorities could make up as much as up to 80% of Gwinnett County's overall population by the 2030 census.

Keep in mind that as recently as 1980, Gwinnett was an overwhelmingly predominantly non-Hispanic/Latino white county where racial and ethnic minorities made up only about 4% of the population.

Other good examples of this also include:

> South Forsyth High School in Cumming in South Forsyth County where non-Hispanic/Latino whites made up just under 61% of the student body as of 10/2/18 (...non-Hispanic/Latino whites made up about nearly 90% of the student body at South Forsyth High School as recently as just a decade ago)...

> Lambert High School in Suwanee in South Forsyth County where non-Hispanic/Latino whites made up only about just over 57% of the student body as of 10/2/18 (Lambert's 43% minority student population includes a 31% Asian student minority population)...

> Chattahoochee High School in Johns Creek in North Fulton County where non-Hispanic/Latino whites made up only about 46% of the student body as of 10/2/18...

> The brand-spanking-new Denmark High School (which just opened in August of 2018) in Alpharetta in South Forsyth County where non-Hispanic/Latino whites made up only about just over 44% of the student body as of 10/2/18...

> Alpharetta High School in Alpharetta in North Fulton County where non-Hispanic/Latino whites made up only about 42.7% of the student body as of 10/2/18...

> Centennial High School in eastern Roswell in North Fulton County where non-Hispanic/Latino whites made up only about just over 40% of the student body as of 10/2/18...

> Northview High School in Johns Creek in North Fulton County where non-Hispanic/Latino whites made up only about just over 25% of the student body as of 10/2/18 (...Northview's 75% minority student population includes a 53% Asian student majority)...

Overall, non-Hispanic/Latino whites appeared to make up just under 48% of the entire population of the 29-county Atlanta metropolitan area as of 2016... Meaning that racial and ethnic minorities appeared to make up just over 52% of the entire population of the 29-county Atlanta metropolitan area as of 2016.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:08 PM

593 posts, read 380,206 times
There are few high schools in metro Atlanta that are >80% white. High schools give you a good barometer of the diversity of an area. Although, most high schools tend to be more diverse than the overall area.

High Schools in Metro Atlanta >70% white

Cobb:
Harrison- 80%
Pope-77%

Fulton:
Cambridge-71%

Forsyth:
West Forsyth-80%

Cherokee:
Creekview-87%
Sequoyah-77%
Etowah-71%

Fayette:
Starr's Mill-77%

Henry:
Ola-72%

Coweta:
Northgate-74%

Paulding:
North Paulding-75%

There are only about 10 high schools in metro Atlanta that are more than 70% white, and a lot of those are exurban areas. This is out of hundreds of schools. There are no high schools in Douglas, Rockdale, Clayton, Dekalb, South Fulton, the City of Atlanta, Decatur, Buford, & Gwinnett that are >70% white. With that said, most high schools in the City of Atlanta, Dekalb, Clayton, Douglas, South Fulton, Rockdale, and most of Henry tend to be majority black. You will have no problem finding a very nice and diverse area in metro Atlanta.

The area with a good mix of diversity right now is Gwinnett County, especially the Parkview & Brookwood districts. You will have no problem finding a very nice and diverse area in metro Atlanta. Good luck!

Last edited by PTC Dad; 12-04-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 AM

697 posts, read 355,902 times
Rahtikan,
You've gotten some great info so far, but just wanted to put in a plug for Fayette County and Peachtree City in particular. I am African-American and live in Peachtree City and my children are 7 and 4. When we were looking at places to buy a home, we had the same concerns you had.

Much is going to depend on where you work, but if your job ends up being on the southside of town, Downtown or on a MARTA line, I'd strongly recommend Peachtree City. Although PTC overall is only about 8-10% black, children of color make up over 50% of my children elementary and preschool classes. Also, just a bit of trivia, but Fayette County is one of about 7 counties in the entire nation where the median household income for blacks is higher than whites, a stat that I think speaks volumes. You don't have to deal with the dynamic that sometimes occurs in other good school districts where there are black kids, but the other black kids are the "have nots" and your kids still winds up feeling alienated. Your child won't have to worry about feeling like she doesn't fit in and you won't have to worry about going to a restaurant and not feeling welcome.

The City is very family-oriented and welcoming with a strong sense of community. Most of the people who live here either are married with children or are retirees. Crime is virtually non-existent--the nickname for PTC is "The Bubble."

The schools in PTC are considered to be the best in the state and the nation.

The big advantage of a place like PTC, and Fayette County in general, is the cost. With a $500K housing budget, you are going to be able to get a large, beautiful house. The housing market in PTC is pretty tight since the city is mostly built-out, but with $500K, you should have lots of options.

The only downside is if you want to be close to high-end shopping like Neiman Marcus or tons of nightlife, you're pretty much going to have to make a 30-40 minute drive to ATL or beyond. Same if you need to be next to a Whole Food and TJs. But if all you need is standard shopping from the typical big box stores and family-oriented activities, you shouldn't have to travel to ATL. I rarely have to leave Fayette County to shop and there's a wealth of activities to do with the kids within the County..

Last edited by CaliDreaming01; 12-05-2018 at 07:49 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 01:49 PM

593 posts, read 380,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Rahtikan,
You've gotten some great info so far, but just wanted to put in a plug for Fayette County and Peachtree City in particular. I am African-American and live in Peachtree City and my children are 7 and 4. When we were looking at places to buy a home, we had the same concerns you had.

Much is going to depend on where you work, but if your job ends up being on the southside of town, Downtown or on a MARTA line, I'd strongly recommend Peachtree City. Although PTC overall is only about 8-10% black, children of color make up over 50% of my children elementary and preschool classes. Also, just a bit of trivia, but Fayette County is one of about 7 counties in the entire nation where the median household income for blacks is higher than whites, a stat that I think speaks volumes. You don't have to deal with the dynamic that sometimes occurs in other good school districts where there are black kids, but the other black kids are the "have nots" and your kids still winds up feeling alienated. Your child won't have to worry about feeling like she doesn't fit in and you won't have to worry about going to a restaurant and not feeling welcome.

The City is very family-oriented and welcoming with a strong sense of community. Most of the people who live here either are married with children or are retirees. Crime is virtually non-existent--the nickname for PTC is "The Bubble."

The schools in PTC are considered to be the best in the state and the nation.

The big advantage of a place like PTC, and Fayette County in general, is the cost. With a $500K housing budget, you are going to be able to get a large, beautiful house. The housing market in PTC is pretty tight since the city is mostly built-out, but with $500K, you should have lots of options.

The only downside is if you want to be close to high-end shopping like Neiman Marcus or tons of nightlife, you're pretty much going to have to make a 30-40 minute drive to ATL or beyond. Same if you need to be next to a Whole Food and TJs. But if all you need is standard shopping from the typical big box stores and family-oriented activities, you shouldn't have to travel to ATL. I rarely have to leave Fayette County to shop and there's a wealth of activities to do with the kids within the County..
I second Peachtree City as a great place to live. Top ranked schools, low crime, and 100 miles of golf cart paths. According to City Data the demographics are nearly 76% white, but that's down from 90% white in 2000.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Peacht...y-Georgia.html

Peachtree City Demographics:
76% non-hispanic white
7% hispanic
7% black

The schools have a variety of diversity, and have a growing Asian and hispanic population. The elementary schools on the southern side of the city (Braelinn & Peeples) are only 2-3% black, but some of the schools like Kedron and Oak Grove, offer a lot more diversity. McIntosh High school is also more diverse than Starr's Mill, and all schools in Peachtree City are routinely in the top 10% of schools in the state.

If you prefer more diversity, Sandy Creek and Fayette County are also excellent schools.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 1,171 times
Gwinnett county is perfect! Try Lilburn, Lawrenceville or Loganville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta